Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rust removal from a worthy Lorenz

Hallo!

IMHO, there are two discussions going on here, and both are valid.

As a former Civil War collector who sold off his collection of arms to finance his daughter's $150,000 college education here in the 2nd from the bottom State for affordable education...

Removing patina of any kind from an original CW firearms WILL have a negative effect on its resale "value." Agressively cleaning one to the point of leaving wire wheel marks, steel wool or SCOTS BRITE marks, etc., etc., will also.
    A number of originals are often found with age blackened varnish someone painted on to "preserve" things many years ago. A number of originals are found with darkened and dried "grease" of one kind or another done for the same reason. IMHO, these can be carefully and expertly removed without affecting the resale value.

On the other hand there are personal different forms of "currency" when it comes to value besides dollars and sense, er cents. :)
    Meaning, what form of non-monetary value does the owner derive or gain from having it and using it for reenacting purposes (as part of the expense of investing money at one end to get pleasureable returns or fun, etc., etc out of the other end)?
    I, and some few friends, have "professionally" restored CW and WWI firearms to their Civil War and WWI period condition/appearance because our Mental Pictures required or demanded such an investment. That we were "losing money" on the collectors' or historical "resale value" was off-set by the enjoyment and "other than cash money" value we derived from having (restored) originals in their Civil War appearance/condition.
    I guess it can be kind of like buying a new car. One usually always takes a "bath" a soon as one drives it off the lot. ;)

Regarding buffing wheels. IMHO, wire brush wheels are way too abrasive and leave way too deep of scratches that required much progressive grit polishing to return the metal to a burnished or polished appearance.
    The secret to polishing metal whether by machine or by hand, or both together, is to progressively replace deeper scratches with finer scratches until the human eye no longer perceives the fine scratches as scratches but rather a smooth sheen or shine.
    What I was referring to was the cloth type buffing pads or wheels and the use of progressive grit buffing compound/paste. I use an old washing machine motor mounted on my workbench and two inches of buffing pads- along with 220 or 400 grit buffing compound. Plus 0000 steel wool and oil depending on whether I am after a "from the armory" or a "field maintianed with fire pit ash paste" type appearance.

Others' mileage, and forms of currency, may vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

• Re: Rust removal from a worthy Lorenz

As someone who restores antique firearms I would ask, should the ramrod and sight not be replaced? When does the history of a piece, and the story it has to tell become diminished?

I would guess that the rammer was taken out for another Lorenz sometime in the last 20 years and the sight was taken at the same time to "restore" another Lorenz. Then, as now such practices ARE common. Ask the multitude of jackasses breaking up original guns to sell on Ebay.

Also consider this, rust is a chemical process and once started WILL continue unabated. While an honest patina can help preserve an firearm, active rust will destroy it.

Thoughtful preservation is a must.

The soapbox is yours,

Mark latham
      Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

• Re: Loyalist Arms 1854 Lorenz Is here!

I have test fired the Lorenz this past weekend and it handled well. It didn't have a single misfire and it is quite capable of handling large loads easily. It stands about 1.5" shorter than an Enfield from Armi-Sport, so in the rear rank, it is feasable as well. The lock was reliable and I fired about 30 rounds thru it quickly in battle.

FYI- I rigged up a bayonet temporarily from an M1861 Springfield repop from India and it fit perfectly in terms of diameter. I had to cut off the support bridge on the bayonet to allow it to seat properly- but it worked well until the correct quadrangular ones come in from Loyalist.

Many folks came out to see it and were impressed by its lightness and ease of use.

Cheers,
        Jim Chochole

Comment

Every Lorenz that I have handled has had a very low half-cock, most not even clearing the nipple. How is the half-cock on the repro? High enough to pass a safety test?

TIA

Charlie

Comment

• Reproduction Lorenz

Check this sight out! They have Lorenz Repros for a great price. Could someone let me know if they are farby or if they are a good manufacturer. I am really wanting to see more Lorenz rifles in the field

Joseph C Perry
            Bushwacker

Joseph Clayton Perry
            [email]cperry13@kc.rr.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by bushwacker View Post
              Could someone let me know if they are farby or if they are a good manufacturer.
              Joseph,

I think you'll find some answers embodied in this same thread.

Eric
              Eric J. Mink
              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Does anyone have contact information for the "Rifle Shoppe"? I own an original Lorenz that needs a correct ramrod.

Thanks
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Am I the only one who has a problem with it being a smoothbore?

Comment

The Rifle Shoppe - http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

I got a repro ramrod myself about a year ago. They're a little slow, but the quality is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa View Post
                      Am I the only one who has a problem with it being a smoothbore?
                      No, I paid $450 for one partialy... largely defarbed by Greg Edington. Still needs some work. But the option of $275 for the proper barrel was out of my price range at the moment. That said it can easily be lined to .54... .58 would be too thin a liner for safety. It can be done.

I learned more from that man in a couple conversations than in 6 mos of reading & researching on the Lorenz... that alone was worth the $450.

Cheaper than an original? No, I think I maybe should have forked over the $750 for the last original I saw but I'm not keen on taking an original out on the field. I've still got mixed feelings on the Loyalist Arms product, but I do like the heft & balance; both their Enfield & Lorenz are far closer to an original in that sense than any Italian repop.
                      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                      SUVCW Camp 48
                      American Legion Post 352
                      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Thank you Charlie,

That was a big help!
                        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

[QUOTE=Jim Chochole;38203]I have test fired the Lorenz this past weekend and it handled well. It didn't have a single misfire and it is quite capable of handling large loads easily.

Jim I think you've answered my question in advance..but just to clarify,,Ive been told that Loyalist arms weapons are not able to fire live rounds..that they're 'non fireable' powder burners only...?????? I questioned this info when I got it but have never spoken to anybody who actually owned one of their offerings and have salivated in the past over their '42 'pumkin slinger' carbine..well..do they shoot lead??:D
                          Gary Mitchell
                          2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
                          Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

I have a Long Land Pattern Bess from Loyalist Arms and it is fully function and safe for live firing.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Gents,

You may want to check out this past thread on this topic and John Tobey's article before considering any type of purchase. Tim Prince has some great information as well. Buyer Beware :D .

Good luck,
                              Tom Klas
                              Hard Head Mess
                              Citizens Guard

Comment

I'm curious as to the current status of the LA Lorenze, many months back (September 2006) some correspondence had been posted about the further developement of a more authentic reproduction. Does anyone have any more information to support that research has continued since then to improve this piece? Otherwise, wer'e all just beating a dead horse, and I would recommend the closure of this thread.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                                23rd VA Regt.
                                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                                (Loblolly Mess)
                                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Working...
                                X