Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polishing new barrels bright

Originally posted by dclarry View Post
    I have been looking locally for crocus cloth and micron-rated sanding films, but may have to order them online. The usual wet/dry 3M paper is readily availble out to 600 grit, which I believe is close to a 13-micron paper.
    Being on the Maryland side of the river in the same metro area, I feel your extreme, excrutiaing, and constant agony when it comes to the devestating lack of retailers who might carry something a man could actually use; however, the microfilm abrasives can be found at most any hobby shop catering to model railroaders and/or RC airplane buffs. These items will be at a premium and packaged in small quantity. Not long ago, several of these existed in the metro DC area, and if Utrecht's downtown is still open by some slim chance, they should have some in their professional model making area.

For crocus cloth, or a substitute, look for very fine materials in paint stores (the real kind, where you can still buy automotive and industrial paints and not the home decorator crap), certain auto supply vendors carry these products, but these are extremely rare here in the barren wastelands of the mid-Atlantic, and if you can find a fine woodworking store with supplies for furniture finishing, most of the time what you want is available there. I would suggest looking up Norton in the yellow pages under abrasives, but they may be out of business by now. In the post industrial age, expect the constant and unyielding search for common supplies to worsen as the leftover stocks are gradually consumed, and there is nothing in the pipeline to replace any of it. The situation for the home industrialist isn't good now, and in another ten years it is going to be just plain ugly.

Most of the time, ebay and/or mail order will your best bet. Make sure you buy more than you need, because you may never see that item again. Happy hunting!
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Folks,

Let me put in a plug for True Value hardware stores, if they have them in your area. I can get crocus cloth, rotten stone, and neatsfoot oil there. They are franchises and can order those things if they don't have them in stock. I know 'cause I just had them order two 8 oz. bottles of neatsfoot oil for me. They are also the only place in the area I can buy 2 gals. cans of kerosene.

Regards,

Paul Kenworthy

Comment

Larry, per Charles, the Utrecht on 13th & I is still there and full of good things. There are also hardware stores near Dupont and Logan Circles, though I forget which one has the emery paper and crocus cloth. I found a paint supply store on Lee Highway in Arlington that has rottenstone by the pound, as well as natural sponges (very nice for penwipes, but that's another application). You need anything locally, give me a shout at m.a.schaffner@att.net
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

And when you find these few remaining source of supply, don't forget to thank them profusely for still being in business, and not folding up due to the latest big box invasion. By the way, if you need rottenstone in larger quantities, it can be had for about $4 for 40 lbs. at most garden centers. (Paul, you ought to kiss that True Value store owner for being willing to special order.)
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, I am fond of my local hardware store. it was built around 1870, and the current owner bought it in 1932. I don't know how the owner who is 90-something does it...
            It still looks like a 19th century store, dark wood, narrow with high side walls filled with shelves and drawers, a sliding ladder to reach them, and a narrow center isle.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

WalMart carries 1500 grit wet/dry paper. The trade name is "GatorGrit".

John Neal carries polishing paper which is even finer than that. See # S107.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X