This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Type 2/NC impression

Would it be correct to use a Richmond type 2 in cadet grey with Virginia state buttons or block I buttons for a NC impression?

Keith Pavulak

Re: Richmond Type 2/NC impression

Before I answer I need to ask two simple questions; Why? and are you affiliated with a unit or organization with any senior members?
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I'm sure Mr. Beall asks because he wants to make sure your unit is helping you with your research and equipment.

I am in a North Carolina unit and typically NC units were fairly well clothed by the state in either NC sack (very early war) or NC depot jackets (more middle-to-late war). That said, clothing issue depends on the unit you portray and where they are, and at what time. A RDII with block I or Script I buttons would be a safer bet than VA buttons, but again, it depends on the unit, time, and place you are portraying. It could depend on the man. For instance, if you are portraying a specific person that enlisted in a Virginia unit but was captured and exchanged in North Carolina where he joined a NC unit, the jacket you describe may be a reasonable expectation. During most events you are portraying a generic member of a specific unit. At an event like Immortal 600, you will have to research a specific man.

The bit about clothing and equipage depending on unit, time, and place applies to anything in re-enacting, reguardless of period. An authentic impression requires research to determine who you are supposed to be portraying, where they where when you are portraying them, and their circumstances.

Can you give some detail about the event or living history impression? Most events have published guidelines. If it doesn't, you might want to reconsider attending. Those types of events are usually stereotypical powder burners with little regard for history. The yahoos come crawling out of the woodwork with bad impressions, coolers of Budweiser, and little historical knowledge.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks are willing to help you with your research.
      Edward Watson
      Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
      You can never do more,
      You should never wish to do less."
      -Robert E. Lee

Comment

I agree with the above post as well.

If you are going for a generic RDII, put eagle buttons on them. (They were in large supply and used extensively in making the 2nd pattern RD.)
        Guy W. Gane III
        Casting Director/Owner
        Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
        49th NYVI Co. B
        The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

I am joining a unit that is just starting, they will represent the 37th NC. I ask about the jacket because just recently I ordered a type 2 cadet grey jacket and wonder what buttons I should get.... until very recently I was going to do a Va impression, but things changed. I read on a post that it was not unusual for NC units to receive supplies from the Richmond depot. I am not representing any one particular individual, but would like to be OK for a generic NC soldier deployed in ANV.
          Keith Pavulak

Comment

If you are starting a new unit with a specific impression (37th NC), then I would recommend doing a little research on what that specific unit was wearing during the period y'all wish to base your impression. From that research develop some uniform guidelines. If you look at most of the groups, organizations or units in the Authentic/Campaigner side of the hobby, this is how they work. There is no true short cut if you wish to develop a well documented and correct impression.

If you are unsure were to start looking for information here are a couple of suggestions. Try a Google search using your new units impression. That will start getting you some basic information. Then check out your state archives for official documentation. Look for books about your units impression. This might include diaries and such. These will get you started.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

As for the RCD II jacket alone ;though not as prevalent in NC's ranks as many would wish for today it will work okay from late '64 till the bitter end. The later the better. The color and content is questionable though.

No to the Virginia buttons.

Might as well do it right and go ahead and buy NC jackets, caps and lined britches.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 11-20-2006, 07:02 PM. Reason: stuff
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

My thoughts would be this...did your unit of choice operate as Part of the Army of Northern Virginia ? If so, then it probably did use the garments coming out of Richmond.

If your unit operated in NC then it would be more common to use one of the jackets coming out of NC. Vance, had a reputation for keeping NC manufactured clothing in a very tight grasp within the Old North State. Much to the chagrin of Abraham Myers and his later replacement, Chief QM in Richmond.

While Cadet Grey would probably be an OK color choice, others will probably beat your decision up and suggest jeans cloth as being the better choice. I would suggest a Satinette or Kersey myself.

Regarding the buttons, I would suggest a Block I or NC seal button. I have looked at Type 3 jackets as well as Tucker's NC jacket and they had state seal buttons on them. As Guy suggested, Eagles would also be a good choice.

Trip probably summed it up the best with the word research.
                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                PO BOX 4849
                Midlothian, VA 23112
                www.richmonddepot.com
                (804)305-2968

Comment

I'm with Scott. Once NC troops joined the ANV, issues for the most part came from the Richmond QM Depot. One needs only to look at Mast's " State Troops & Volunteers" to see Tar Heels clad in the classic RD II jacket, many with wooden buttons. The two surviving photos from my own unit (Reilly's NC Btty) show both members wearing 9 button Richmond Depot Pattern jackets with what are probably eagle pattern buttons. I agree also with scott that the material was probably jeans or satinette, but some blue grey cloth was being produced by the Crenshaw Mills. Bottom line, don't let the coat come between you and having a good time at an event.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Alot of folks don't realize the quality of the machinery that Crenshaw had at the beginning of the war. Crenshaws machinery was pretty state of the art for the period. That is why I would not have a problem with a nice cadet Grey fabric being used. Crenshaw wove alot of Cassimere's, Kersey's and Sattinettes. Haven't found any jeans cloth yet but am still looking.

Greg Masts book is EXCELLENT. I traded a buddy a pair of Mattimore shoes for my copy and can't reccomend it enough.
                    Last edited by Richmond Depot; 11-20-2006, 07:52 PM. Reason: actually..
                    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                    PO BOX 4849
                    Midlothian, VA 23112
                    www.richmonddepot.com
                    (804)305-2968

Comment

Keith,

In addition to Mast's works, perhaps a good place to start is Michael Hardy's book about the 37th NCT. You may also find the NC Depot in Richmond to be an anomaly of sorts, and something else well worth researching. Contacting the folks who portray the 37th NCT on a regular basis (google is your friend) may forge some partnerships with like minded researchers. If you stumble across Neil Sexton of the North State Rifles, he is also a good sort of leads for further research. For many years, some good people out there have been down the same path you are on right now.

Good luck.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks alot for the posts, I'm new at this and appreciate all the help. As far as I have read the 37th started out in 61 with some battles in NC then went on to join Jackson under AP Hill, thus the thought that they would be issued from Richmond depot. Still looking for documentation though. I picked the cadet grey not only because I like the color, but few seem to wear it. Jean cloth is nice but seems to be very trendy... I like to be a little different. Any other tips on how to start research or help from those that know more than I is much appreciated.
                        Keith Pavulak

Comment

Please see this thread. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=7504

Some good advice has been given to get you started. Good luck.
                          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                          X