Washing Wool Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Wool Socks

Christmas is coming. Some fellers will get woolen hose. Most will know how to care for them, but some will not.

First, some period instructions, with thanks to Virgina Mescher for supplying the references:

From _The House Book and a Manual of Domestic Economy for Town and
    Country_ by Eliza Leslie (1843)
    "Woollen Stockings, - These are to be done as fast as possible, and washed
    precisely in the same manner as flannel [washed in white soap in warm, not
    boiling water, twice, rinse in warm water, while drying slowly, shake and
    stretch garment]. It is best to dry them on the boards made for the
    purpose in the shape of legs and feet, over which the stockings are to be
    stretched to keep them from shrinking. The boards are to be hung up by a
    string to the clothes line. If you have no boards, stretch and pull the
    stockings when half dry; and in hanging them out, suspend them by the toes
    pinned to the line.

Black Worsted Stockings. - These should be always washed before they are
    worn. Lay them all night to soak in cold water. Wash them next day by
    themselves, through two waters, warm, but not hot, the soap being
    previously rubbed into the water so as to form a lather before the
    stockings are put in; and mixing with the first water a tablespoon of
    gall. then rinse them, first in lukewarm water, and then in several
    different cold waters, till the dye ceases to come out, and the last water
    is colorless. Stretch them, and hang them out immediately in the air, to
    dry as fast as possible. Then iron them on the wrong side.
    Any dark-colored worsted stockings may be washed in this
    manner. When you hang them out, it is well to always stretch them on
    drying boards."

From _Treatise on Domestic Economy_ Catherine Beecher (1858)
    "To Wash Black Worsted Or Woollen Hose. If new, soak all night; then wash
    in hot suds, with beef's gall, a tabelspoonful to half a pail of
    water. Rinse till no color comes out. Then stretch on stocking-frames, or
    iron them, when damp, on the wrong side."

From _The Housekeeper and Healthkeeper_ by Catherine Beecher (1873)
    "Wash the colored flannels and hose after the white, adding more hot
    water. Some persons dry woolen hose on stocking-boards, shaped like a foot
    and leg, with strings to tie them on the line. This keeps them from
    shrinking, and makes them look better than if ironed. It is also less work
    than to iron them properly."

From _Notes on Practical Laundry Work_ no author and no date but was
    printed in Edinburgh after the turn of the 20th century.
    "Socks and Stockings - Socks and stockings should be well shaken to be free
    loose dust of sand.
    If they have become muddy while worn at such games as football,
    dry them, rub the muddy points between the hands to get rid of the earth
    before putting into the first washing water. Wash by squeezing a pair at a
    time in lukewarm soapy water, paying particular attention to the feet;
    these may require to be rubbed with some of the soapy lather. Wash in
    second similar water, first turning socks or stockings wrong side out,
    again, paying attention to sole and ankle parts. When quite clean, rinse
    in lukewarm water to remove the soap, then in a pale blue rinse if white,
    and in a dark blue lukewarm water if navy blue or black.
    Rinse all other colours in a second lukewarm water. Unless the
    colours are very bright, vinegar need not be used as the dyes of worsted
    are as a rule firmer than those of coloured flannels.
    Fold evenly by seam at back of leg, pass through the wringer. Peg
    to the line by the toes. Hand-knitted socks or stockings can be folded or
    rolled up when dry, or they can be finished by mangling. . . . "

Do I have an agenda here? Why yes, most certainly.

Over the last year, I've seen an inordinate number of fine pairs of hand knitted period socks that have been ruined by machine washing and drying. Sometimes the unfortunate soul catches the error before it hits the dryer, but usually the damage is already done.

Normally the conversation starts something like this.... "Miss Terre, I got these socks and they have shrunk. Can you do anything about them?

And the Answer usually is : No, son, I can't. :cry_smile

Here's why: Wool, combined with hot water, soap and agitation, relaxes a bit, opens up the scales on its individual strands, and fluffs up. As the agitation continues, the strands begin to matt together. Then, a cooler rinse hits the wool, and everything closes back down quickly, matting together even more tightly. Depending on how long the agitation went on, those fine hand knit socks that once fit your size 13 pontoons, will fit, at best, my dainty size 6's and at worst, your GI Joe Action Figure.

If you will mix soap in warm water, soak your socks, hand wash them carefully, press the suds out, refill the water and soak to rinse, then reshape the socks (preferably on wooden sock boards, but at least stretch them out), then they will behave themselves and give you good service for a long long time.

Oh, and don't wash them to death either. Wool releases a good bit of odour--not all, but some. Air those socks out, change them, turn them---follow that foot care manual posted on another thread. You won't need to wash them nearly as often.

If any of this is not clear to you, go talk to your Mama or your Grandmother and ask her to teach you how she hand washed her one pair of silk stockings during WWII.

Finally, if you do mess up and ruin a pair---be honest, own up to your mistake. Don't try to pass it back to the knitter as some sort of defect in her product-----like one feller who tried to tell one of us that the socks 'shrunk on his feet' and had not been washed, when they were less than 5 inches long.

Most of the knitters in the hobby are wayyy too ladylike to call bull on that to your face---but the lady knows you are woofing her.

Here's why: There are a handfull of known knitters in the hobby who produce for the public. Then there is a second tier who knit for their family and unit. They rely on the continuing body of research and period patterns, both those in print publication, and those shared through specific list serve.

None of these knitters hie themselves over to Walmart and snatch just any old yarn off the shelf and go to knitting. Each has her own specific yarn brand that she is partial to--Karin Timor uses Cardolet Farms, Robin Stokes uses Brown Sheep, Nancy Troxel and Sister Willis use my yarns, and I'm not sure what Kim Caudell uses, but know she's been on the same stuff for at least 5 years.

Each knitter knows how her choice performs, what her gauge is, how it affects sizing, how much yarn to use............................and she sure as heck knows what it looks like if someone has washed it in the machine.

Now, a lot of you boys think you are paying a heck of a lot for a pair of hand knitted socks. You are not. Considering time on task and materials cost--these gals rarely make even the bare minimum wage for their work.

So, to sum up:
    (1) Well made, well researched period socks ain't cheap.
    (2) You would not put your dandy uniform in the washer.
    (3) If you do, take the consequences of your actions on your own self.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Washing Wool Socks

Makes you wonder what kind of luck the boys of '61 had with their socks that first few months, doesn't it? I imagine those who had never lived away from home without a laundress nearby had some interesting adventures.

--Becky Morgan
    Becky Morgan

Comment

The Boys of '61-'65 didn't have automatic washers and dryers, though... which are major contibutors to our current sock troubles ;-)
      Tom Ezell

Comment

When the army was encamped, and proper laundry services available, those wooden sock forms were pretty ubiquitious, and the matter of little concern, unless the soldier did not wish to pay the laundress.

But, there were also many times when those services were not available, but a civilized man longed for the luxury of clean clothing, and washed them out. For many rural families, laundry was a family affair--all hands turned to the work, and the process was not as unfamilar to the common man as some might think.

My own personal theories for the men of the period tend towards the 'felted to form on their feet' idea. Socks washed out as best as available, and not necessarily fully dry when put back on--that little bit of dampness, aided by body warmth, and the constant friction of shoes, will slowly 'felt' or matt a pair of wool socks to the shape of the wearer's foot. I've got a few pairs that have achieved the status of 'stand alones'-fully fitted to my feet, with the individual stitches no longer discernable.

And, right now I'm in an experiment to see just how long something can be borne---I came into a pair of exceptionally fine hand knitted woolen socks made by Kim Caudell ( see conversation above that begins with "Miss Terre........"). It took me a good 15 minutes of careful work to get my bitsy little feet into them, as their misadventure had made them very small and very thick. I've had them on 23/7 for about 12 days now, with the exception of a couple of hours where I simply had to put on church clothes. Each evening, they get turned and aired for a while, then back on they go. I'm doing a good bit of heavy walking with them on. And I'm figuring on wearing them under a longer pair of stockings for Banks Grand Retreat......

Of course, they were very clean when I got them
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Great post Mrs. Lawson. Seeing as I'm getting some socks fairly soon, this is good information to put on a Word document and save.
          - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
          1st California Co. F
          Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
          -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

I wash mine gently in cold water and a bit of woolite, then rinse in more cold water. I then hang them to dry but put em on before they dry all the way. They don't shrink much at all and if they do a bit, trying them on will ensure they fit well. I Have owned my 4 pair of good socks for 5 years (all based on originals pairs), and they show no sign of wearing out, despite the fact that I have marched at least 200 miles in that time. They have actually grown even tighter in weave as I have owned them. Before I saw the light, the sock drawer was filled with all manner of military surplus, hiking and "reenactor" wool socks and such. None did the job, nor looked the part.

There is no substitute for correctly made (materials, pattern and construction) wool socks. $65 for the best is cheap, considering they are all that is between you and blisters, sore feet and trying to kick your own behind for going cheap Making them is a long, difficult process. I once watched Karin Timour knitting a pair using her tiny size 0 wooden needles and promptly understood why she and Terre charge $65. Its a heck of a deal actually.

Cotton socks look cool, but you would not want to wear them for more than a few hundred yards of walking - once they get wet from rain or sweat, they turn into cheese graters. Poorly made (modern) wool socks tend to be too open a weave and wear out and stretch quickly, and are often a wool/poly blend as well. Lastly, you would not wear a pair of modern long underwear...no sense wearing modern socks either.

The good news is, the best are available right here on the Approved Vendor list. :)
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Now, does anyone have some nice photos of (or instructions for making) period sock boards? I did a quick internet search for sock blockers, and found some modern ones (I'm reasonably certain neither Walmart hangers nor MDF are period,) and I like making period stuff when I can....

There's still time for crafts before Christmas...
              John Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTaylorCW View Post
                Now, does anyone have some nice photos of (or instructions for making) period sock boards? I did a quick internet search for sock blockers, and found some modern ones (I'm reasonably certain neither Walmart hangers nor MDF are period,) and I like making period stuff when I can....

I have a pair of sock board and will try to post a picture tonight.

For a description, they are a pair of flat boards that are leg and foot shaped with several holes in the center of each board. The socks or stockings are stretched on the boards after washing to keep their shape while drying. The boards were either hung over the line or pegged to the line.

Most of the instructions I sent Mrs. Lawson suggested using sock/stocking boards but it would have been highly unlikely that soldiers on the march would have had them or that military laundresses would have even had them. In my research on military laundresses, I have not seen mention of the boards nor have I seen any in images.
                Virginia Mescher
                vmescher@vt.edu
                http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

With many, if not most, natural materials, a little dampness goes a long way for proper fit after washing. Slightly damp new shoes will break in fast, slightly damp socks and sweaters (not dripping, only not completely dry) will refrain from shrinking to doll size, and slightly damp skirts are not only easier to iron, but lose a lot more wrinkles while they'e worn. That "slightly" is the important part. My brother-in-law was in ROTC. His roommate never got the hang of pressing his uniform. Their DI told him to "hang it up in the shower", meaning to hang it nearby while he was showering. He took the instructions literally and went to class in considerably shortened sleeves and with a jacket that no longer buttoned.

As for the family washday, most of the former boys I talked to (they were anything from fifty to eighty when I was a preteen) had dreadful recollections of having to keep the fire going, sling water and carry out large items for hanging up. Most of Dad's WWII shipmates had watched their mothers scrub clothing on the washboard, but when it came to executing the maneuvers themselves, they were a little shaky. Hint for those who take to sea: keel-hauling your clothing gets it clean, but it isn't recognizable when you get it back.

Wish I could remember which local museum has the soldier's letter from camp outside Washington in '61. He said he thought he knew how to wash shirts and "other items", so he gave his and his messmates' a good boiling and was now short-sleeved in the summer:D He pointed out that they were, however, very clean, and he thought he'd figured out how to avoid further misadventures.

--Becky Morgan
                  Becky Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTaylorCW View Post

Attached is a picture of the sock boards that I have. (At least I think I have attached it.)

The measurements are
                    Leg portion - 12"
                    Leg width - tapers from 4 1/4 - 3"
                    Foot portion, heel to toe - 9 1/2"
                    Foot width - 3 1/4"
                    Holes - varies from 2" to 1 1/2" in diameter

I'm not sure of the age of these but they were pretty standard throughout the years.
                    Attached Files
                    Virginia Mescher
                    vmescher@vt.edu
                    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Making that reproduction blocker IS a dandy project. The holes are there to reduce weight on the line, and to increase air circulation for drying.

If you can locate some some modern sock knitters in your area, or a fine yarn store, they may have the modern plastic sock blockers--access to these will be extremely helpful as you make a pattern to cut yours.

The blockers will look impossibly large for the task--the result of taking that three dimensional foot to a flat shape. I have one pair of wooden ones that I'd assumed to be 'decorator' items, given the clownish size of the shape.

I picked up a pair of socks to repair at Perryville, from a fine horseman with feet well within the normal size range. Those socks fit the blockers perfectly, and are now mended, washed, redyed, and awaiting a chance to return to their owner.
                      Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

A method I've never used, but have seen in action many times is to remove the wet socks from your feet, hang them over a roaring fire, and promptly go to sleep. In the morning, what remains of the socks is not only dry, but just enough charcoal for a good teeth brushing.

Not recommended, but evidently quite popular.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Or you can do what I usually do. Forget my socks in the trunk of my car between events and just wear them as-is, standing on their own.
                          David Casey

Comment

Here's a pic of one of my sock boards. Note the small hole near the top of the board, so it may be hung up for drying. Like a surprising amount of the common stuff of everyday life in our period, these items can often be found for a reasonable price in the "one-step-above-junk" antique venues.

Greg (Happyfoot) Renault
                            Attached Files
                            Greg Renault

Comment

Working...
                            X