Hardee Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee Hats

Someone posted a request for dimensions for the "Hardee Hat" Model 1858 Uniform Hat, but it disappeared. I've posted an earlier article I wrote in the Research Articles Section http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...2617#post42617 for whom ever needs this information. Don't reply to this thread.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Re: Hardee Hats

Here's a probably-silly question: Why are army dress hats commonly referred to as "Hardee hats"?

Comment

No clue why they are called "Hardee's " I prefer dress hat.
      It was me Scott! thank you!
      Unfortunately the main question is not answered. I was searching for different measuerments of the crowns concerning their lengths and widths. so if more oval or more round. I know that they differed but I wanted to collect.
      Best regards from Germany
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

My understanding is that the term "Hardee Hat" is a bit of a misnomre. It comes from Major William Hardee who does not appear to have any direct link to the hat from my research but was instrumental in developing a very similar hat to be used by cavalry regiments. One of the main differences I understand between the dress hat and the true "Hardee Hat" is the use of a chinstrap for cavalry otherwise the hats are very similar. I can't help but think that perhaps the term "Hardee Hat" may be like the ubiquitous "kleenex" in that it came to mean any of the army dress hats of the era.

I found the following on http://americanhistory.si.edu/milita...ect.asp?ID=343

"In 1855 Confederate Secretary of War Jefferson Davis was instrumental in the creation of two regiments of cavalry. It was recommended that the cavalry have a distinctive hat. That hat is sometimes called the Jeff Davis hat. It also was referred to as the Hardee hat, after William Joseph Hardee, an officer of the 2nd Cavalry. In 1858 the hat was approved for the entire army. The hat was made of black felt and had various insignia, which were embroidered for officers and brass for enlisted men. It was looped up by an eagle on one side and decorated with ostrich feathers on the other. The side on which the hat was looped up was changed several times during the period the hat was in use. From 1858-1861 the hat looped on the left by artillery and infantry officers. On the front of the hat was insignia of the branch of service. The Jager horn represented the infantry. In some cases the hat bore the regimental number and company letter. Hat cords were in the branch color for enlisted men, in mixed black and silver for company or field officers, and in gold for general officers. "
        Robert Collett
        8th FL / 13th IN
        Armory Guards
        WIG

Comment

Working...
        X