Canteen Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canteen Covers

My use of the word brown was taken from Coates' article where he uses it. Personally, I have to agree that they are a light tan color.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Another answer to a question that has no answer. I once knew an elderly woman named Emma Buenzow who worked in the city (New York City) during the 1920' and early 1930's sewing canteen covers on new but Civil War vintage canteens. Mrs. B and many other girls were paid a nickle for each canteen they covered and used four button Civil War and five button Indian War vintage coats to get the covering materials. She said the coat came in bundles, were heavy and smelly. She said there was a warehouse full of the coats. She worked for a company named Francis Bannerman Sons, you may have heard of them.

Comment

For more information, check out my book - "Covering It All: Canteen Covers of the Civil War"
        Trade Paperback - ISBN: 0028621220

Thanks!
        Bo Carlson

[i][b]At the dawn of the 21st century the human species does appear to be in a rapid state of de-evolution. The time for personal salvation is now, while the people terrorize each other like warring insects, all the while crying out for global change and healing. Can we as a species hope to achieve something as grandiose as constructing a Heaven on Earth, when our very souls are rotten and empty?[/b][/i]

Comment

Well, how long would it take a grey cover to turn tan/brown in the field? Since the canteen cover is going to be exposed most of the year it's bound to turn to a different color in at least a year.

Comment

Pertaining to Kentucky Jeans, Jordan Ricketts is currently doing some research into just what this type of jean was. He told me, but I won't let the cat outta the bag until he has his work all wrapped up.

And about colors. I've done a little experimantation with the natural dyed cloth, logwood, sumak mainly. I've seen how fast, yes fast they oxidize. I once set some logwood thread in the elements and it faded to light tan within 9 days, once placed a piece of logwood and sumak dyed jean on my dashboard in my car and they both went tan in under a month. On both of these experiments I covered half of each with duck tape and the side that was covered stayed the original color. When I read reports that use words like Brown- I think a darker brown, while cadet- makes me think of a medium gray with a bluish tint, drab- a tan with or without a slight greenish tint.

Another thing that I've noticed about grays, they have a very strong tendency to take on a drab/tan tint whether or not they are veggie dyed or not. They don't hide the dirt very well.

Comment

Steve,
              Luckily the well researched Chris Daley is offering canteen covers for US patterned canteens. He offers three or four different shades of jeans material. If you want any input, ask him and I'm sure he can justify his selctions of color shades.

Comment

Working...
              X