Mounted services jackets used by infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted services jackets used by infantry

I did a search on the forum, but didn't turn up anything. I've been told by various and sundry people that untrimmed mounted services jackets were occasionally used by Union infantry. What evidence is there for this practice and where can I look to uncover some? Thanks!
    Yours in The Cause,
    Will Tatum
    Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Mounted services jackets used by infantry

Regimental General Orders No. 24 (1864) for the 6th Wisconsin Infantry (Iron Brigade) stated: "Those men having Artillery or cavalry jackets will take the trimming off without delay. They are forbidden to wear the Jackets on reviews or parades." From note 93, pp. 334-335, "In the Bloody RR Cut at Gettysburg," by Herdegen & Beaudot. This is only one instance, of course.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Don't know about this photo, in terms of regiment etc, but it is taken at a picket post near Petersburg.
      Attached Files
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Hello,

This is a topic I myself am very interested in. If you really scrutinize and study period photographs you will see infantry men wearing these jackets, usually with the tape removed. The give away is the 12 small buttons and the three cuff buttons, often times, but not always you will see the collar cut down as well. I have also seen photographs of a mounted jacket ID'd to a infantry man with the tape removed that was sold a while back through one of the major dealers but don’t recall off hand who it was.

You may want to also check out the book " UNION UNIFORMS AT GETTYSBURG" by Michael J. Winey, there is a great quote in the book about an infantry man procuring a artillery shell jacket, removing the colored tape with his pocket knife and when he returned to his pards they where admiring his new shell jacket and noticed holes in it where it had been pierced by minnie balls.

hope this helps
        -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
        93rd New York Coffee Cooler
        [I]
        "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
        [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Minieball577 View Post
          Don't know about this photo, in terms of regiment etc, but it is taken at a picket post near Petersburg.
          It looks like possible Heavy Artillery. I have seen photographic evidence of Heavy Artillery being uniformed in light artillery jackets. You can also note that it appears that they are wearing the Artillery driver boots that were later issued to Cavalry as well. This is just guess based on prior knowledge. Anyone know the actual history of this photograph?
          Last edited by MPDoughBoy153; 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM. Reason: took out word issued and added uniformed
          Breandan Mackie

Comment

The men in the picket post photo are most likely members of the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, who garrisoned Petersburg after its fall. I did an article for "Military Images" a few years back on this unit, and they are seen in quite a number of the Ft. Mahone related views. Most companies received the light artillery mounted services shell at some point in their service. They were the North's largest regiment.
            Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

In the book, "Army Memoirs of Lucius Barber: Company "D", 15th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. May 24, 1861, to Sept. 30, 1865." Barber mentions that when he was released from a Conferderate Prison camp, he drew a Mounted Service Jacket and removed the yellow tape from it. There is also photographic evidence for this limited practice with Illinois troops, but I don't have the images at hand. You may want to try "Military Images" magazine, especially the Illinois issue. A theory many of us had years ago was that many mid-western troops who had been originally issued state jackets, liked the look, but were unable to draw replacements. Our theory was that they drew the mounted jackets to keep that look. Just a theory.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Nick ************ used to offer an untrimmed MSJ. One came up for sale in the classifieds on this forum a while back, maybe a year ago. I believe they were to replica the MSJs with trim removed used by some infantrymen.
                Lawrence E. Kingsley
                BTTY F, 1st PA LT ATTY

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                  In the book, "Army Memoirs of Lucius Barber: Company "D", 15th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. May 24, 1861, to Sept. 30, 1865." Barber mentions that when he was released from a Conferderate Prison camp, he drew a Mounted Service Jacket and removed the yellow tape from it. There is also photographic evidence for this limited practice with Illinois troops, but I don't have the images at hand. You may want to try "Military Images" magazine, especially the Illinois issue. A theory many of us had years ago was that many mid-western troops who had been originally issued state jackets, liked the look, but were unable to draw replacements. Our theory was that they drew the mounted jackets to keep that look. Just a theory.
                  Mr. Cross,

You stated the theory had been kicked around that when the western troops could no longer draw the state jackets they drew mounted jackets and removed the trim. To further support this I will add that the photographs I have seen of federal troops who shortened their sack coats, and I have copies of several, where all ID'd as western troops or had back marks of western provenance, and the ones that are identified to a specific individual all seem to come from Indiana. Two of the photographs where the men shortened their blouse with the addition of a waist band and added an additional 3 buttons to make a shell jacket from their fatigue blouse. While we will never know "why they did it" it certainly does add another piece to the puzzle so to say and is a very plausible theory.

regards,
                  -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                  93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                  [I]
                  "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                  [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

So it sounds as though the wearing of mounted services jackets by the infantry was limited to midwestern units- thus it would be inaccurate for somebody doing an eastern federal portrayal to be wearing a mounted services jacket?
                    Yours in The Cause,
                    Will Tatum
                    Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The 6th Wisconsin was in the Army of the Potomac.
                      Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
                      X