Please answer the FAQ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please answer the FAQ questions

We've just closed the thread on Frequently Answered Questions that Drive You Batty - I'm sure we have enough questions now to get us started.

This thread is for answers... review the thread on FAQ that drive you batty and if you can post a well considered, and preferably well sourced answer to one of those questions, please do so here.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: Please answer the FAQ questions

"What is the correct rifle position for In Place, Rest ?"

Short answer: there is none. All that is required is for you to keep one heel in line, so that the line does not have to be dressed again.

From Casey's School of the Company:
    37. The instructor, wishing to rest the men, without deranging the alignment, will first cause arms to be supported, or ordered, and then command:

In place - REST.

38. At this command, the men will no longer be constrained to preserve silence or steadiness of position; but they will always keep one or the other heel on the alignment.
    From Hardee's School of the Soldier:
    73. At the command REST, the soldier is no longer required to preserve immobility, or to remain in his place. If the instructor wishes merely to relieve the attention of the recruit, he commands, "In place - REST"; the soldier is then not required to preserve his immobility, but he always keeps one of his feet in its place.
    In other words, you can stand, sit, or squat - whatever is comfortable - so long as one heel stays in line. You can pivot on the heel and turn completely around. If one leg gets tired, bring your feet back together in the original position of a soldier, and use the other foot to mark the alignment.

(It it recommended that you keep a copy of the drill manual handy, because you will, no doubt, get arguments on this subject from those who have not read it. The usual excuse is, "but I was always taught...")
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Here is one that runs like a Abbott and Costello routine. Sad but true.

Statement: First Call. 10 minutes to be on line with full marching order.

Question: Does that mean with your haversack?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Does that also mean I have to carry my knapsack?

Answer: Yes!

Question: But it is too heavy to carry on a march so should I carry it?

Answer: Cut down on the stuff you carry in it and yes you will have to carry it!

Statement: Second Call.

Question: How long have I got to pack my knapsack?

Answer: 5 minutes.

Question: How long?

Answer: 3 minutes and get a move on it!

Statement: Captain we are still waiting for Private X to finish packing his knapsack, and the enemy is currently moving toward our flank.

How many times has this happened?

James Wooten, Interpretive Ranger
      Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

James -
        I appreciate the effort but I'm not sure that your Q&A is a subject that is exclusive to authentic campaigning . Nor do I see any sources cited.

We don't want more editorials - we want well researched, thought-provoking answers.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

To add to Mr. Griffiths post:

From Gilhams School of the Soldier:

ARTICLE III.
          SCHOOL OF THE SOLDIER.
          GENERAL RULES.
          82. THE object of this School is the individual instruction of the soldier; it should be taught with the greatest possible care and precision, as on it depends the efficiency of the instruction of the company, which is again so necessary to that of the battalion, and from that of the battalion to the evolutions of the line, where an entire army is maneuvered with as much precision as a single company.
          The instructor should never require a movement to be executed until he has fully explained it, and joined example to precept by performing the movement in person. He should accustom the soldier to take for himself the position required, correcting him when necessary, and should abhor to prevent the formation of a habit of carelessness in the execution of the movements.
          Each movement should be thoroughly understood before passing to another. After they have been properly executed in the order laid down, the instructor should no longer confine himself to that order. The men should be allowed to rest for a few moments, frequently, in the earlier stages of their instruction, and as often at other times as the instructor may think necessary to prevent weariness, which is the prelude to carelessness. When they are at attention, however, he should not allow any looking to the right or left; no changing of position, or laughing, or whispering, etc., so common among volunteers and militia. Here is the place to make the individual soldier, to give him habits of attention, teach him subordination, etc. If he does not acquire them in this school, it will be too late when he is advanced in the company.
          At the command REST, the soldier is no longer required to preserve immobility, or to remain in his place. If the instructor wishes merely to relieve the attention of the soldier, he commands, in place - REST; the soldier is then only required to keep one of his feet in place; if he wishes to move that foot, the other is first brought up to its proper position.
          The school of the soldier is divided into three parts, the first comprehending what ought to be taught to recruits without arms; the second, the manual of arms, the loadings and firings; the third, the principles of alignment, the march by the front, the different steps, the march by the flank, the principles of wheeling, and those of change of direction. In this school, the company is broken up into small squads, the number of men in each squad being proportioned to the number of instructors; the squads for the first and second part should be as small as possible, and the men placed in single rank; for instruction in the third part, two or more squads of about equal proficiency should be united.
          Matthew Semple

Comment

Yes.

I knew that Gilham's manual had something to say about it, but my copy of Gilham's was archived on a CD when I ran out of hard-drive space on my laptop, so I did not have the exact quote handy. Found it this afternoon. Good call.
            [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

One more addition that does not discuss musket position. Here is what Baxter's says:

REST.

At this, the recruit will not be required to preserve the steadiness of his position.

SCHOOL OF THE SOLDIER

Neither is he required to keep silent. If he leave his position, it should not be out of sight or hearing of his commanding officer, without permission. If the command,

In Place- REST,

should be given, instead of the above, the same freedom will be permitted except that no man shall leave his place.
              If, on the other hand, strict silence is required, and the men should be brought to a position of rest, the command will be:

Parade-REST.

Carry back the right foot about four inches to the rear, (without moving the left); rest the weight of the body on that leg, bending the knee but slightly; cross the hands on front of the body, the left hand on top and supporting the right wrist; shoulders square to the front; head erect, and the eyes meeting the ground fifteen paces in advance. In this position, remain steady until the command:
              Matthew Semple

Comment

I posted this on Paul's FAQ thread:
                How about this one?

"I've got a Jarnigan (Or other sutler row crook) coat that I've torn up to look like I've been on campaign, how is that any different from a correctly made coat? I can look just as hardcore with my cheap S&#@ as the rest of you fellows."

About time to eliminate that mentality...
                To elaborate on what people have said when posing this argument, generally the premise is that purchasing authentic reproduction uniforms and equipment is much more expensive and the person presenting the argument cannot afford to have the best of every reproduction item available.

First, I know very few people that have a kit(s) that would be the most appropriate for any or every event, because correct reproductions are, indeed, expensive. I've never once heard anyone on these boards saying that anyone or everyone has to have a kit that includes the most authentic items in every little detail. Of course, that would be an outstanding feat for the hobby, but at this stage, it's too optimistic.

Second, any authentic organization of individuals has enough experience to know that newer folks need to be loaned certain items for events until they can pick them up for themselves. And, I've yet to hear any group turn away someone with the right attitude simply because they need to loan that person some gear for an event or two.

Third, there are many aspects to an authentic impression that do not necessarily pertain to the look. One has first person dialect to consider, and that task is one that takes a lot of reading and interaction to progress. Also, we cannot forget drill. Someone can go out to an event and look like they stepped off an ambrotype, but if they can't drill efficiently, it becomes somewhat humorous. So reading drill manuals and attending unit drill sessions is just as important as buying a correct coat or cap. And there are now over a dozen instruction-type articles that help with the basics of a good impression right here on the boards: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...links.php?c=13

And, getting back to my initial post on Paul's FAQ thread, this mentality simply condones the 30-50 yard ideal (that someone can look spot on from 50 yards away, but when approached, their poor kit stands out like a sore thumb). In other words, wearing a Jarnigan coat that looks like you've rolled around in the trenches of Petersburg is nowhere near as correct in pattern, materials, or construction as something made by Charlie Childs. And the thought process of simply trying to squeeze through inspection at an event is not often welcomed on this side of fence.
                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Working...
                X