Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about period-correct wool scarves

Hello,

I'm fortunate enough to have a sister-in-law willing to knit me a wool scarf for my impression and was wondering if anyone had any helpful references to dimensions, colours, etc. of period scarves. She's an experienced knitter and is willing to do what it takes to make the scarf as correct as possible.

My impression is that of a Union 1st Lt. (staff officer), for the record. Thank you!
    Jared Morrison
    [email]bob@jaredmorrison.com[/email]

Re: Question about period-correct wool scarves

Jared,
    Unfortunately, I have not seen many photos of winter camps. I know they are out there, but not many would show scarves. And even from that you would be hard pressed to see color, definition and construction. My suggestion is to contact someone that produces era scarves and get their opinion and answers about research. I know that jersey skillet licker currently has some in stock. You may be able to contact the suppliers through Jersey Joe.

Comment

A Suggestion

Lt. Smith:

First of all, congratulations on your sister-in-law -- let her know how much you appreciate her skills. As you go to more and more early and late season events, you will come to have a deep appreciation for the comfort a good knitted something or other can bring!

I'd suggest that you and anyone else who wants to draw up a stool to listen in on a good discussion of scarves, scarf yarn and scarf construction might find it worth his or her while to scope out the following threads on the Civilian Authenticity discussion: "Scarf Construction" and "Scarf Yarn."

While you're over there, zip around and read some of the other threads -- there are some mighty interesting things that get talked about over there!

Sincerely,
      Karin Timour
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
      X