Mens wheel cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mens wheel cap.

Is the Mens wheel cap Correct for an early war Impression?

If so up until what time, and what what kind of fellow would wear one, ie. City dweller , or would you also find them in the agriculture community, South or North?

Many thanks
    Last edited by swordofYHWH; 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM. Reason: mi dern spellin
    ...But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
    Joshua Chp;24 v15
    27th Mississippi
    Pvt. Kyle D. Spring

Re: Mens wheel cap.

Originally posted by swordofYHWH View Post
    Is the Mens wheel cap Correct for an early war Impression?

If so up until what time, and what what kind of fellow would wear one, ie. City dweller , or would you also find them in the agriculture community, South or North?

Many thanks

Yes, it is and ante bellum. There was a great article on them in the Open Air Museum newsletter a few years back, as well as some good threads and photos that were probably eaten in one of the recent crashes.

As far as how far into the war........there really isn't a cut and dried answer. It all depends on the 'rubber stamp' answer of where, what units, branch, Federal/Southern, etc. Best course as with anything, is to find an image or an account of someong in that unit donning one. Overall, as a very generic answer, they became less common and CS soldiers would generally prefer a brimmed hat to keep the sun of their neck and faces. Best bet is for a militia impression or very early war, but that is what I have found or encountered.

I'll see if I can find that article, but in the meantime someone may beat me to it.

Best Regards
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

The attached images are of the Five Forks Prisoners of War photograph. In this image, you will notice an individual wearing a civilian cap.

Here is what my notes say about the photograph:
      Title: [Five Forks, Virginia (vicinity).] Confederate prisoners on the way to the rear. Captured at Five Forks.
      Created/Published: 1865 Apr.
      Last edited by Matthew Semple; 05-30-2008, 07:46 AM.
      Matthew Semple

Comment

I have seen a picture of I believe a Wisconson home guard unit in, again I believe, 1863. They are all wearing civilian clothes and I was surprised by the high number of wheel caps that were in the group. If I had to give an estimate I would say almost 40% of the group were wearing wheel caps. And you could see that the lower class and middle class men were wear them, but you didn't seen anyone that looked upper middle to high class wearing them. I don't have the book with me that has the picture in it here at school with me but it was an Osprey Men-at-arms about early war militias, I don't know if anyone else has that book and could post a picture.
        David Naples

"History is the story English majors try to write"- Anonymous Gettysburg College History major

Comment

Matt,

That's one of my favorite images from the war. Thanks for reposting it.
          Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
          PO BOX 4849
          Midlothian, VA 23112
          www.richmonddepot.com
          (804)305-2968

Comment

Reposting portion of picture that was lost.
            Matthew Semple

Comment

Working...
            X