• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Remington Rifles"...what are they?

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
    Hallo!

Not that I know of...

I would guess, or suspect, that the ramrod is more "recent" replacement (sometine since the CW) for the original's missing one. There is something familiar about it, but I cannot place it. German or Austrian maybe maybe.
    At any rate, the "age" of the ramrod appears much "newer" than the age of the rest of the rifle. 1870 or 1940, etc. hard to say...

Curt
    My thoughts also but I had never seen a repro like that one. I was thinking it was an original for another type of arm. Seems like it would be costly to make for a reproduction. Thanks for the reply.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: "Remington Rifles"...what are they?

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
      My thoughts also but I had never seen a repro like that one. I was thinking it was an original for another type of arm. Seems like it would be costly to make for a reproduction. Thanks for the reply.
      That ramrod looks suspiciously like the one on the French Model 1859 I handled last weekend... Isn't right for a Lorenz and the French M1859 is the only weapon of that age I can think of that would transfer over to a .58 or .54& the Austrian Jaeger had a more pronounced transition to the tip IIRC. Of coarse I might be way off base too...

Regardless it is a beautiful example of a Whitney M1841.
      Last edited by Johan Steele; 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM. Reason: correction
      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
      SUVCW Camp 48
      American Legion Post 352
      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X