Hooded overcoat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooded overcoat question

I am in the process of assembling a Hooded (Weller) overcoat. It is fairly straightforward construction, but I have a question about how to attach the hood to the coat. According to the instructions included with the pattern it would appear as if the hood was attached with a "french seam."

Am I reading the instructions correctly? I have not been able to view the original so I have not seen how its hood is attached. I would appreciate any help that I could get in terms of constructing this garment.

Thanks!!
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Re: Hooded overcoat question

Brian,
    I wish I was skilled enough and experienced enough in that area to help you. My Dad makes garments from time to time and gets great outside help from some of the masters. I recommend to you that you contact Chris Daley who produces the Weller overcoats and does an outstanding job. He's very polite and I'm sure wouldn't mind taking a few minutes to answer your question. www.cjdaley.com

Comment

is your diagram intended to show a french seam?

I ask because your diagram appears to show the following:
      Material sewn together, perhaps "wrong sides" together.
      Material is then folded over around the seam to make it "right sides" together.
      A line of stitching is then added as shown.

It appears that the purpose of the seam is to shield the raw edges from fraying (the same reason that a seam might be "felled").

The key question would seem to be: What type of stitch was used on the last line of stitching on the Weller overcoat? The type of stitch should be the same as the original in order to match the appearance of the seam.

Just some thoughts "off the cuff"!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by JCbluegrassrifles
        I recommend to you that you contact Chris Daley
        Give me a call sometime this afternoon, I'll be in Gettyburg this morning, but should be back after 12pm or 1pm. Number is Below.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
        X