Researching 25th NCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching 25th NCT

I have been researchingthe unit that I've just joined so that I can get a good idea of what it was equipped with at various periods during the war. I've found some information online and at the library but it leaves some holes. A lot of holes actually.

The 25th left Asheville for Camp Davis on 5 Sept, 1861. Enroute, they stopped in Raleigh on 18 Sept and were issued uniforms. On arriving at Camp Davis, they were issued arms and equipment. No mention of what types of uniforms or equipment in any of the material I have found.

In addition, they appear to have been almost completely re-kitted after the Maryland Campaign of Sept 1862. From what I have found, this may well have been goverment or state issue.

Can anyone direct me to a source or sources where I may be able to find this information? I am in contact with my unit but I do like to dig as deep as I can. I have been lucky enough to find some material but cannot order it at the present time due to money matters. That is why I'm limited to what I can find online or at the local libray for the time being.

I'd appreciate any help in steering me in the right direction.

Bernie Kiggins
    25th NCT, Co A, The Edney Greys

Re: Researching 25th NCT

Bernie,

I have found that it is easier and typically more productive to get answers at the brigade level. One book that may help and is available to view at the NC state historic preservation office. It is "A Photographic Record of North Carolina Soldiers" State Troop and Volunteers. It is about three hundred pages ($60.00) of fantastic pictures of infantry soldiers. It has great references and info on each pict. i will look for 25th NC stuff and try to email it too you.

Scott Derick
    lilymess

Comment

Re: Researching 25th NCT

Thanks Scott, I'm finding some decent looking possibilities myself. It will just take some time to wade thru them. The works by Greg Mast and Weymouth Jordan look promising. I'll check for brigade references as well. I appreciate the effort.

Have you ever gotten anything from the National Archives? I did find a a mention that the Compiled Service Records can have useful information attached. It mentioned a reference number but it had 350 rolls in the lot. Any ideas on how to narrow it down some?

Bernie Kiggins

Comment

Working...
      X