Is anyone making recruiting posters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone making recruiting posters?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'd like to find out if anyone is making them.
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: Is anyone making recruiting posters?

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and couldn't find anyone. I was doing an exhibit on CW recruitment and needed to have some appropriate NY State posters. The best I could manage was to find a good, crisp photo of an original, scan it and have it printed out on poster size, slightly off-white stock.

It wasn't perfect, but it was a copy of an original in roughly the same size. It looked good on the wall, and made a nice teaching tool.

I did a second one based on an original, but one where I couldn't find the original (I only had the text). I used a good set of period fonts and used the layout of another original poster, then blew it up and had it printed like the other one.

Better than nothing.
    Andrew Batten

Comment

Jeff,
      Every so often there are repro recruiting posters on e-bay. Just search under Civil War or Civil War posters. I can't speak to the quality of them but there was quite a variety for sale a while back.
      I have also copied/scanned and then enlarged from a print of an original. This is especially helpful for posters of not so well known units. Regards.
      Mike McBride
      Caught Off Guards

Comment

Jeff -

Are you looking for someone to make one in period style for modern "recruiting" usage, or are you looking for a specific historic example? If it's option A, let me know -- Mr. Wickersty did two variations for the Fire Zouave effort last year.
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

While prints are not for sale, the New York Historical Society has a fine collection of recruiting posters, with images available on-line.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric - Great suggestion! Our unit used the NYHS site to study appropriate formats, fonts, etc to style our own recruiting posters. This resource is perhaps the best online at present.
            Pvt Joe Lassus
            9th Kentucky Infantry Reg. U.S.

Comment

Working...
            X