Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sack coat lining?

Hello,
    I am trying to find out a little more information on unlined sack coats being lined by soldiers in the field. I have done research and have found that actually there was a majority of unlined coats issued during the war and have read a number of accounts where guys would line the coat themselves in the field. I would like to hear the opinion of the experts here of how common this was and are there any photo examples of a unlined coat being lined in the field by soldiers. So basically a sack coat that has flat felled seams but has a liner that was an uncommon material such as blanket material or something available in the field. My first question, how common was this? Second, what kind of materials have been seen or heard of being used? Mt thrid question, of any examples or writings would they have typically just lined the body or the sleves as well?
    Thanks!
    Sgt. Kevin Braafladt
    Sykes Regulars West

"You may find me dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you will find me in a pile of brass."
    Tpr. M. Padgett

Re: Sack coat lining?

Kevin-

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, and as the first step in a ten step program, will admit the Federal side isn't my stronger side. Based on what I have gleaned from others more knowledgable and the fact many of these were contract items, I would question the thought the 'majority were unlined' and 'soldiers would line them.' From what I recall most of the major contracts were lined. Were they ever unlined, yes. I don't think that was the norm though. If you are referring to a specific unit, that is possible. Unforunately, as I recall there was some great information regarding this before the crashes. Hopefully, Mr. Wedward, Mr. Morris or others will also chime in here .
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

What is the documentation for your statements? Read Series III of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion where it states that two-thirds of the fatigue blouses that were manufactured during the war were lined. Also, the Congressional Reports on Quatermaster Contracts show the same ratio. I've examined over a dozen original blouses and the vast majority of them are lined (I've only encountered three unlined fatigue blouses). I've never read an account where soldiers sewed lining into unlined versions. It would be redundant to go to all that work when a lined version was so easily to be had from the quartermaster.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I just read somewhere....oh hey, its in the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium Vol 2, that the lining a soldier ripped out of his sack coat made for a top-notch gun cleaning cloth. I have the feeling a lot more soldiers did that, or something similiar, than to ever sew them in. I'm actually surprised at how many coats remained lined, as opposed to ripping that thing out in the summer. But then, their tolerance for a lot of things surprises me still.
        David Buckley

CWPT

"We have the wolf by the ears; and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ok, I went back and searched through the records again and I found the following
          "U.S. Army Quartermaster Contracts, 1861-1865"
          Philadelphia Depot New York Depot Cincinnati Depot Total
          Lined 558,000 797,000 444,000 1,799,000
          Unlined 439,000 442,000 295,000 1,176,000
          Not Specified 170,000 284,000 212,000 666,000
          Total 1,167,000 1,523,000 951,000 3,641,000
          I was wrong that unlined sacks were in a majority but they were about 600,00 less than the lined versions. I have read at least two accounts of guys lining their unlined sack coats which does not mean a lot of guys did it but I wanted to get an opinion. I would think that the guys who were issued unlined sacks did not really have an opition weather they got a lined or unlined coat but I could be wrong. Any more thoughts?
          Thanks for the input!
          Sgt. Kevin Braafladt
          Sykes Regulars West

"You may find me dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you will find me in a pile of brass."
          Tpr. M. Padgett

Comment

David,
            Thanks for the input your thoughts make a lot of sense and I can see that being possible.
            Thanks!
            Sgt. Kevin Braafladt
            Sykes Regulars West

Tpr. M. Padgett

Comment

Kevin,
              I would be interested in taking a look at the reference where the coats were lined, for no other reason than I'm curious. About 2/3 of the coats were lined as previously stated but honestly making a coat unlined is simply a few scissor cuts away.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Kevin,

You may be aware of this but in the Caspar Trepp (1st USSS) papers located int he Clements library there are several requisition forms in which his company commanders were specifically requesting unlined blouses for their men. We can draw our own conclusions concerning this but it is most likely that as a "light infantry" regiment they had use for a lighter weight blouse during the summer months. This is the only instance I know off hand of a unit actually specifying what type of blouse they wanted.

I know of one blouse originally produced by the SA and with provenance to a New York infantry sergeant that is both lined and hand felled, though the lining was definitely put in when the coat was constructed. We can only make assumption as to why it was constructed in this way, and why the original manufacturer spent so much extra time felling when it would be lined anyway. I do know of one other SA blouse that has only the exposed section of its body seam felled, presumably to reduce fraying during use. This could be the reason for the first blouse being felled as well, but it sure seems like a lot of superfluous work!

I personally have never seen an account of men lining lining blouses in the field, though I'm sure with all the down time it is possible, especially when climate conditions warranted it. I really can't add much to that discussion but if you would be so kind as to post direct quotes from your source along with the annotations I would love to see them.

A final note that has nothing to do with this discussion...I have seen evidence of overcoats being lined with inspected and rejected fatigue blouses! Certainly a way for a contractor to cut out an expensive material cost when his fatigue blouses were rejected, or when he could get his hands on some rejected fatigue blouses for pennies on the dollar. Pretty interesting stuff!

Best Regards,
                Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thanks guys for your advice! I will see if I can find those refrences and post those here.
                  Sgt. Kevin Braafladt
                  Sykes Regulars West

Tpr. M. Padgett

Comment

Anecodtal but appropriate I think - was reading the CRRC 2d Edition tonite and came across this quote:
                    A soldier gave the following advice to a potential recruit back home:

Have your blouse lined if not made so and have two pockets in it. You cannot carry much in your pants and your legs will get chafed...

- J.P. Ray, ed., Diary, 138.
                    Quigley, Edward. Columbia Rifles Research Compendium: The Fatigue Blouse. p.35.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
                      Anecodtal but appropriate I think - was reading the CRRC 2d Edition tonite and came across this quote:

Quigley, Edward. Columbia Rifles Research Compendium: The Fatigue Blouse. p.35.
                      The operative word here is "if not made so". Odds are, at the ratio of that lined sacks were made to unlined...he had a more than a chance of getting a lined Fatigue Blouse.

There is also documented letters refering to "Lined Trousers", but these were never made or contrated for by the Quartermaster Departement. These were made/ordered by private soldiers, as requested in the letters.
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                      X