Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lengthing the hem on trousers

Hello all....

I have used the search engine, and I am having trouble finding the answer to my question. Was bringing the hem line down on a pair of trousers that has shrunk, or did not fit right at time of issue common? If so, what is the best way to do it, and keep the vent? Thank you in advance, and if I missed the answer in the archives I apologize.

Thanks....
    Sean Collicott
    Your humble servant....
    Sean Collicott
    [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Re: lengthing the hem on trousers

Well I just got my copy of the " CRRC " , and this most excellent volume has the answer to my question on hems, as well as alot of other questions I had. Thanks to the Columbia Rifles, and to the AC, for making research a little easier.

Your obt' servant....
    Sean Collicott
    Your humble servant....
    Sean Collicott

Comment

To borrow the thread's spirit, I'd like to know where I can find instruction on authentically shortening the hem on trousers. I need about 2 inches taken off the bottom, maybe an inch and a half...
      Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
      Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
      Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
      <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
      <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

The research articles section, and the search engine has the answer to that question. I found that out while hunting for the answer to my question. Also the book I mention, " The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium " has an article dedicated to trousers. If I'm not mistaken you can contact members of this forum to get a copy. It has all sorts of fantastic articles, and information on the art of authentic reenacting/campaigning

Your obt' servant....
        Sean Collicott
        Your humble servant....
        Sean Collicott

Comment

Originally posted by NewHopeChurch View Post
          To borrow the thread's spirit, I'd like to know where I can find instruction on authentically shortening the hem on trousers. I need about 2 inches taken off the bottom, maybe an inch and a half...
          Not alot of research needed here...just roll 'em up. Take some time and look through period photos, you will find that rolling them up was fairly common.

Comment

Hallo!

As with any item of clothing issue, issued without regard for the soliders' actual sizes or dimensions....
            1. Wear as issued and adapt
            2. "Tailor" it as best one's skills, knowledge, inclination, and time allowed
            3. Hire a unofficial "company tailor" or comrade with tailoring skills to do it

I see two streams here:

1. What was the "hem treatment" or "vent reinforcement" methods commonly done by arsenals and contractors at the point of manufacture" And,
            2. What were some of the ways and methods soldiers dealt with excessive length of their trousers in terms of "field" modifying or "tailoring" garments for better fit once they were received.

However, IMHO the specific question was about how to lengthen "too short" trousers?

IMHO, the typical cuff "hem" on issue trousers, if undone, will not length the trousers by more than say a 1/2 inch or so- and one still needs a "hem" of sorts to prevent the raw edge from unraveling. (The cuff "reinforcement" strip being just a 7/8 to 1 1/2 inch wide strip of fabric tacked at the bottom of the legs.)

I am reminded of a story from the Texas Brigade about "Red" Harris (???) being tall and having too short of trousers- so to bridge the gap, he used a pair of Yankee leggings... ;-)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X