Block I button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block I button

I dug this button several years ago near my home northeast of Corinth, MS. My house sits not far from one of the retreat routes from Shiloh and is in an area used for Federal camps during their investment of Corinth in the summer of 1862.

Interesting variation.
    Attached Files
    Jim Kindred

Re: Block I button

Nice. Here is one in the upper corner of my collection.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Jerry Holmes
    28th GA. Inf
    65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

I posted the original post to illustrate a point, the button in the photo is a reproduction. The post was in no way intended to embarrass or confuse anyone. The story is true, I did dig the button near a Civil War site, but it was the gravel drive way to my home. Obviously the button had been in the gravel for some time and most likely fell from a shipping container during the delivery of a button shipment. I posted this to show that we should be careful what we wish for when it comes to accurate reproductions. With a good story and a little aging a button worth less than a dollar suddenly becomes a bit more valuable for those who do not have a lot of experience working with originals.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Point well taken.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Jim,

This is especially true on ebay. There's a couple of clowns up in Bristol, Tennessee who are in the fake relic market. You really need to know what's what these days, which is why I normally only buy buttons and plates from reputable dealers.

These are also the guys who are making and selling the "confederate" battle flags with the stencils, frayed stars, poor stitching, etc. Usually under glass and one-sided.

Their secondary specialty is in faking bowies and "kit Carson" wild west show souvineer cards, etc.

Respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Same here, and a good dealer would refund your money. I know a "Cast I" maker that his buttons would fool most anyone. I also ask the dealers who they bought from and do they trust that person. Not to go off/topic. But there are even people selling classic cars with fake, so called original documentation and hardware. Buyer beware and you must always do your own due diligence.

Originally posted by 1stMaine View Post
            You really need to know what's what these days, which is why I normally only buy buttons and plates from reputable dealers.
            Jerry Holmes
            28th GA. Inf
            65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Working...
            X