Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pewter Skript I buttons?

Gent's,

I am looking for some sutler some were that sells Pewter Skript I buttons. I have looked at All the possable venders I could think of including more farby sutlers and I can't seem to find them anywere. If any of you know were I can track them down it would be great. Also how common were these amoung the troops. I really have know idea other than I know they did exsist; and have seen a couple of origanals.

Thanks

James Sturckler
    Yes Very Much
    38.46%
    NOt at all
    61.54%

The poll is expired.

James Sturckler
    Mess No. 1
    Dayton, Ohio
    www.bummers09.com

Re: Pewter Skript I buttons?

This is the first reference I've seen to originals.
    That said, I believe Levi Ledbetter Sutlery out of North Carolina use to sale them. I know he sold cast script I buttons made of pewter with a tiny gold gilt on top.
    Hope this helps you track them down.
    Pat Brown

Comment

James,

As far as I know, the non-approved vendor Blockade Runner carries them; however, I would be intrigued if you had images of the originals. I've seen repros but have yet to see an original (doesn't mean they don't exist, i've just never seen one). Pewter block 'I' buttons have been found in limited numbers - are those the ones you are referring to? Here's a link to Mr. Mayo site http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/csequip.html if you scroll down the page there is a cast pewter button from Petersburg. Good luck, Garrett
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Cast lead Script I buttons did exist. If anybody wants to look them up Tice's book has one pictured as a CSI282A1. Scarcer than hen's teeth.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Seems I read somewhere that pewter Script I buttons were manufactured in Rome, Ga by the Noble Bro.s foundry, along with the pewter CSA buckle.
          Can't recall where I read that, so it's purely hearsay.
          Last edited by HighPrvt; 02-12-2007, 06:09 AM.
          [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Charle's Harris' "Western CW Relics" Book illustrates (p. 227) one dug near Cartersville, GA from the '64 campaign. As Jim indicated, these are indeed rare birds
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Juding by the rarity of surving examples, I am taking the assumption (and the danger of becoming the first part of that word) that they are probably not appropriate for use?
              Robert W. Hughes
              Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
              Thrasher Mess
              Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
              ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
              Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
              And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

James,
                Last summer I bought a set of pewter Block I's from Ceder Creek Supply Depot (Jim Lammers). I remember them showing me both styles, block and script. If you could get ahold of Linda (my understanding is they are still running the business online) she may still have some.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                X