Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of thread do you use and where do you get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of thread do you use and where do you get it?

OK, for years I have been purchasing authentically made garments from various vendors, some of whom are on this forum. Every time they come with buttons that are put on with a wonderful stout thread that appears to be unmercerized, and which holds up for a nice long time (usually).

I have been looking for this kind of thread for years, but everything I run across seems to be too flimsy, if authentic. Where are you folks finding a stout cotton or linen thread suitable for attaching buttons or making buttonholes?

I realize this might be kind of a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find the thing I am looking for.
    Bob Muehleisen
    Furious Five
    Cin, O.

Re: What kind of thread do you use and where do you get it?

Charlie Childs sells 16/4 glace cotton thread for this purpose. Another source, and more cost effective source, is Atlanta Thread & Supply Company - search for their buttons sewing thread, or follow this link to the bulk roll. http://store.atlantathread.com/cosi16glna.html Bee sure to Bee's wax the thread before sewing.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I've had good results from Hy-Mark thread available from E.J. Thomas, and I too recommend waxing the thread.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Ross, just for your information, the thread carried by Atlanta in the smaller spools is Hy-mark, same great stuff sold by Childs and others.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron View Post
          OK, for years I have been purchasing authentically made garments from various vendors, some of whom are on this forum. Every time they come with buttons that are put on with a wonderful stout thread that appears to be unmercerized, and which holds up for a nice long time (usually).

I have been looking for this kind of thread for years, but everything I run across seems to be too flimsy, if authentic. Where are you folks finding a stout cotton or linen thread suitable for attaching buttons or making buttonholes?

I realize this might be kind of a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find the thing I am looking for.
          Bob,
          You can contact Needle and Thread fabrics in Gettysburg. As for the buttonhole thread that Chris Daley uses and they'll know what you're looking for. They have a wider range of colors and sizes than hy-mark offers. They can be reached at 717-334-4011.
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Im not sure if Dan Wambaugh still has any left, but i remember him showing me some Good German Linen thread when i was over his house. Good for buttonholes. I think he was selling a spool for 20.00.

Cheers,
            [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
            Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
            Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
            6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
            150th Perryville - October 5-7
            Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

Im pretty sure Dan said he wasnt offering anymore at the end of that FS thread.
              William L. Shifflett
              Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

William,

Thats was i thought, but i wasnt sure.

John
                [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
                Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
                Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
                6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
                150th Perryville - October 5-7
                Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

Good question Bob. I also have been trying to find some good strong thread for buttons/repairs. I haven't yet sewn my own stuff but was looking into it and I have been hearing about waxing the thread in different places but I have no idea what that does. Can anybody mention the reason for waxing the thread?

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Mr. O'Dell,

Waxing the thread keeps it from fraying and tangling as you sew. It is especially important with linen thread, as the thread tends to weaken the farther you go. To wax the thread, keep a piece of warm beeswax handy (I keep it in my shirt pocket), and draw the thread over the wax 2-3 times before you thread the needle. Depending on the length of the thread, you may need to wax it again if it starts tangling or twisting.

As for what kind of thread, I use the Hy-Mark 16/4 glace cotton for many applications, or for linen thread, the most readily available is Bockens, which is good for topstitching but a little thin for buttonholes.

My favorite thread, though, is the stuff I got from Family Heirloom Weavers, which is beautifully stout stuff leftover from weaving, which you could buy by the spool--500 to 1000 yards per spool--for next to nothing. That's one of the things I miss the most about their getting out of the business.
                    Michael McComas
                    drudge-errant

Comment

Working...
                    X