This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Jackets

I'm a reenactor in the 5th WI. Infantry Regiment(note. after use of gray uniforms). I'm currently looking to buy a new jacket but cant decide what kind to get. I want it to look authentic(duh) So i need some help. Im looking at either a standard sack coat(which i previously had), an enlisted frock coat with blue(infantry) piping, or a standard shell jacket. I've observed numerous infantry frock coats(in wisconsin units) and sack coats but not many shell jackets. Again i need some help on choosing a jacket so it'd be nice if some one has any suggestions. Thanks
    Jack Ramsey
    Co. A, 5th WI. Infantry

Re: Federal Jackets

If you're asking which jackets would be most appropriate for your impression (that of the 5th Wisconsin) I suggest asking your unit historians or digging into the unit history.

If you're asking where to get authentically made frock coats, sack coats or shell jackets, I suggest visiting our Approved Vendor list and going from there.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

There's not much history about the 5th WI thats avaibible today. And i would like to get an idea so i can order this jacket in time fr a reenactment in March
      Jack Ramsey
      Co. A, 5th WI. Infantry

Comment

Wisconsin soldiers are well documented wearing frocks, sacks, and jackets and all units were different. Don't base what you buy on what you see other Wisconsin reenactors wearing. Find out what is best for your unit that is your primary impression. My bet is that you are going to want to upgrade your sack if you want the most universal garment. Just becase the 5th were issued frocks at some point, it does not make it the best choice. I reenacted the 2nd Wisconsin many times and found my frock appropriate only a handful of times.
        David Casey

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys & feel free to add more
          Jack Ramsey
          Co. A, 5th WI. Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by pvt. hardscrable View Post
            so i can order this jacket in time fr a reenactment in March
            You better hurry. With that kinda deadline I'd try Dan Wambaugh first.
            William L. Shifflett
            Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Mr. Ramsay,

If there isn't enough information out there about the 5th with which to make an informed decision, you really need to look at how often you'll represent Wisconsin troops at events. I've found that a standard Federal fatigue blouse will be accepted at just about all of the better events out there.
              Dave Eggleston

Comment

You have nothing right now? This is a pretty easy answer.... Get a sack coat first, then move on from there if need be.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                Cincinnati

Comment

You need to do some home work. Contact the Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin Veterans Museum's in Madison and see if they have images of members of the 5th Wisconsin Infantry. I am sure both of these fine institutions will have photographs that will show you what the regiment wore. Also visit my institutions web site and search for "5th Wisconsin" and you will get about two dozen hits. http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual...3/vexmain3.htm
                  I counted nine Uniform Coats; one Mounted Service Jacket (with trim removed); one Infantry Jacket; and two custom made Fatigue Blouses. There is a world of information out there.
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

ok guys i first wanna say thanks again for ur posts. But I'm on a budget right now and am not planning on buying two jackets. i'm speciffically looking for some one who actaully knows what kind of jacket i should get instead of people just calling me an idiot for not knowing what type of jacket to get

Thanks
                    Jack Ramsey
                    Co. A, 5th WI. Infantry

Comment

Working...
                    X