Gussets with striped material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gussets with striped material

I’ve looked for pictures or information but have not been able to find an answer to my question. I’m putting together a Hollyday shirt and using some FHW material with stripes. On the gussets, the stripes can either match the direction of the stripes in the body or in the sleeve for the front of the shirt, and will match the opposite for the back of the shirt. For the front of the shirt should the stripes in the gusset match the stripes in the body or the sleeve? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin French

Re: Gussets with striped material

Kevin,

I have always attached my gussets with the pattern corresponding to the sleeve. The gusset being an extension of the sleeve which all connects into the body. In this case the stripes would run in the same direction as the sleeve does. I don't know if this is the same as others do, but this is how I have all always done it.

Just my 2 cents,
    Steve LaBarre
    Brown Blanket Mess
    Hodge Podge Mess
    Corn Fed Comrades
    WIG

Comment

I must agree with Steve as I am also putting a shirt together made of striped fabric. I made the gussets follow the sleeves. I had a striped shirt years ago and I didn't pay atendtion to this and ended up with one gusset following the sleeve and the other following the body. It looked pretty screwed up.
      Kurt Loewe
      Botsford Mess
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

In addition, you can always make your gussets into two pieces, and have both pieces follow the line of the sleeve. Though not striped, I have seen several shirts that have gussets made out of more than one piece. I have a shirt in my collection, which has the gusset made out of several pieces. Keep in mind that as much material was used as possible and very little was wasted. The cloth was a commodity and pierced sleeves, gussets, collars and bodies have been seen in period examples.
        Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
        Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
        Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
        X