Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Brass

Greetings,
    I was reading one of the research articles yesterday here on the AC about improving one's impression when I came upon the mention of using wood ashes for polishing brass. I have read this before, but I guess I just didn't think much about it. But yesterday it struck me. My search came up empty. Is there some process or does one just hand-rub the ashes and the brass, like using brasso, just begins to take on a brighter shine? Or is there a paste that needs to be mixed up and applied?

- Jay Reid
    9th Texas
    Jay Reid

Re: Polishing Brass

All you need to do is put the ashes on your brass then spit on them and scrub away. It's amazing how the brass will shine after this.

-Dan Hart
    -Dan Hart

Comment

Jay,

I usually take a rag or my handkerchief and moisten, I then dip into the ashes and rub over the brass. It will create a paste. After the rubbing I use a dry portion of the rag to do a final polish.

Crabby
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Hallo!

Many repro buttons come sealed in high gloss lacquer to keep them bright and shiny. Removing the clear gloss with strippers or abrasion will allow the buttons to "age" naturally due to use and exposure.
        Mixing fire ash with water to make a paste, IMHO makes it easier to use, and gives it a more finely abrasive "bite."
        It may be an understatement but... using "period methods" will net one a "period look."

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks, all. I can just see my wife giving me her standard strange "look" again while performing this task.
          Now, my next question is one of authenticity in nature: Should I accumulate a satisfactory amount of saliva after eating saltpork and finishing my coffee, or is it okay to use saliva after eating one of my home-made cheese burgers and downing a Coke? ;)

Jay Reid
          9th Texas
          Jay Reid

Comment

Hallo!

Use water.
            It is authentic, because it is the exact same water used by Civil War soldiers.
            (Although with Global Warming, it is the same water drunk by dinosaurs. ;) :) )

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

A little coffee with the ash works, too, as a field expedient. Dip a bit of rag in the coffee, then in a spoonful of ash.

For a real barracks room polish you might want to consider rottenstone and vinegar. You will never want to use Brasso again.
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

If you want to make enough to last you awhile, get some of those disposable Glad containers (small ones) and get some ash the next time you have a fire in your fireplace or ask the neighbors for some. The white ash works best as it is finer than the black- which is charcoal. Mix with water until you have a fine paste about the consistency of white glue. If you're an ultra purist, use rainwater. Polish away!

Hope this helps.
                Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                WIG/GVB
                In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Chris,

Thank you for pointing out the difference between wood ash and charcoal. Believe it or not, the fine points such as this are often lost in the translation. A heck of a lot of the common CW period company level cleaning/maintenance supplies are inexpensive (although the containers may not be) and could be issued to event participants more frequently than currently is the norm. In fact, when these items are issued from stocks, the troops usually need detailed instructions on their proper use.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                  X