CS Kepi buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Kepi buttons

I'm a newbie on this forum--I posted this question earlier but forgot to sign my full name to it, so, my apologies if this gets double-posted!
    I have a Starbuck CS enlisted kepi which is gray jeancloth w/French blue band. It came with block "I" buttons, but I'd like to get creative with some different (maybe unusual) buttons. The kepis in Echoes of Glory all seem to have different types of brass buttons, but I was wondering if any of you know if any other types were ever used. I'm particularly curious as to whether various four-hole civilian type buttons were ever seen on these kepis. I haven't found much of anything about this on the web.
    Greetings, and thanks!
    Stephen Walker

Re: CS Kepi buttons

http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/index.html Scroll down the wonderful archives of the Horse Soldier's past items.. There is a CS cap shown with black four-hole "fly" buttons for the chin strap. This is not the only example I have noted.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Stephen,

Small Goodyear buttons are another option, much like the buttons on the original on Jim Mayo's page. I still have a dozen or so of these left from a lot I purchased last fall. PM me if you might be interested in a set.

Best,
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys! You've given me a lot of help--the CS forage cap in the Horse Soldier's archive is very interesting--it's an odd one. I'm guessing it's some sort of private purchase/commutation? It looks kinda similar to the CS McDowell cap that was pictured on the JerseySkilletlicker site a while back.

Comment

civilian buttons were also commonly seen. I have seen caps with glass, bone, wood, pewter, shell, and plain civilian style brass buttons on them during my research I did a while back when I went to the endeavor that you are doing now. I ended up using shell buttons.

Comment

I agree with Jeremy I have civilians buttons on some of my kepis.

Matt
            Matthew Thompson

Comment

Comrades,

The fly in the ointment is this: At the end of the war, Confederate soldiers were ordered by the federal authorities to remove the CS buttons from their uniforms. How many of these extant caps reflect that practice, with whatever civilian buttons were at hand replacing the issue ones?

This is an area where I really want to tread lightly, because of the "I don't know" factor relative to surviving caps. How many have replacement buttons, and, by that same token, how many originals had replacmenet CSA or other type buttons attached by veterans for reunions later on? It cuts both ways.

That Confederate soldiers were forced to remove their brass buttons is bourne out by contemporary accounts. How widespread that was is up for discussion, but that it did happen, and often, is beyond dispute.

Respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

That's a very good point, Tim. While looking at photos of original CS uniforms, I've sometimes wondered whether the buttons on them were the original ones. I suppose the only chance of knowing for sure would be for someone to physically examine an original and look for evidence of button replacement. But I imagine it would be very difficult at best to be able to tell this way---and even if this were possible, the question would remain "what buttons were on this cap before?"
                I think pretty much all the original caps I've seen in person or in photos have some sort of chinstrap/buttons, but I've also wondered if a few may have been delivered without them.
                Last edited by spooky1864; 03-02-2007, 12:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add my name

Comment

Civilian ornamental or flat buttons in all sizes are among the most common types found in CS campsites, documenting their use during the war. Plus brass buttons of any type were considered military buttons. Yet John H. Worsham of the 21st VA notes that the Federal order "accounts for the many old uniforms that are seen at this day with buttons covered or without brass or military button." ("Foot Cavalry, et al, p. 1900).

To document Tim's point however, check out the jacket on former "Mr. Reb" with his new found Pennsylvania friends in this familiar post-Appomattox photo from the LOC. See any buttons? Nope.
                  Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

Oh, I agree with what you are saying. There is ample evidence of the civilian button useage from excavated artifacts and relics. My point is that, although we find these items, exactly what they were used for, clothing-wise, is still debateable.

For example, shirts, vests, and trousers all needed buttons, and the most common buttons lost, as everyone here can attest to, is the suspender buttons on the trouser waistband. Second is probably shirt buttons, although smaller epaulett buttons are also easy to lose.

It's just harder for me to imagine how a cap button is easily lost, unless the whole cap is lost, but I am ceertain that it did happen.

Mostly, it's like everything else, inthat we have to be careful to not let our ideas of how WE think they OUGHT to have looked over-ride what was actually worn and used.

Respects,
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

I went to put on my union cap at an event about two years ago and off came the chin strap. The button had popped off.

It happens.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Here is a nice cap with a nice price but you can see the strap button. This was at a show a few years back along with some other nice caps.
                        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM.
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X