Small Arms References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Arms References

Below you will see a list of the small arms reference books I own; I would like to put together a complete list of what I have vs what I need to purchase; would any of you fine gents care to contribute titles for me to spend my hard earned $ on?

Thanks in advance.

Barry, Craig L., The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel, Watchdog Press, 2006.

Coates, Earl J. & McAulay, John D., Civil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles, Thomas Publications, 1996.

Coates, Earl J. & Thomas, Dean S., An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms, Thomas Publications, 1990.

Edwards, William B., Civil War Guns, The Stackpole Company, 1962.

Fuller, Claud E., The Rifled Musket, The Stackpole Company, 1958.

Fuller, Claud E., Springfield Shoulder Arms 1795-1865, S&S Firearms, 1986.

Houze, Herbert G., Colt Rifles & Muskets from 1847-1870, Krause Publications, 1996.

McAulay, John D., Rifles of the U.S. Army 1861-1906, Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 2003.

Reilly, Robert M., United States Military Small Arms 1816-1865, Eagle Press, 1970.

Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005.

Sword, Wiley, Firepower from Abroad The Confederate Enfield and the LeMat Revolver, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1986.

Sword, Wiley, Sharpshooter: Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1988.

Whisker, James A., Hartzler, Daniel D. & Yantz, Larry W., Firearms from Europe, Tom Rowe Books, 2002.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Re: Small Arms References

Reilly, Robert M., United States Martial Flintlocks, Eagle Press, 19??.

Murhpy, John., Confederate Carbines and Musketoons.

Murphy, John., Confederate Rifles and Muskets.

McAuley has a series of books on cabrines and rifles, in addition to what you have.

Whisker and Yantz have a whole series of books on Springfield and other armories.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I would add the following:

Lewis, Berkeley R. Small Arms and Ammunition in the United States Service, Smithsonian Institution, 1956
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Don't forget "Civil War Guns" by William B. Edwards. While it suffers from some problems with organization and was published 40 years ago, it is still the BEST general work on the guns used by both sides, describing the guns, production and foreign source information. The reprinted version is available on Amazon.Com right now. And if you can get Lewis's book mentioned above by Mr. Eichler, you really need it.
        Thomas Pare Hern
        Co. A, 4th Virginia
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Bilby, Joseph G., A Revolution in Arms: A History of the First Repeating Rifles

Ron Myzie

Comment

Go to the Man At Arms magazine web site (http://www.manatarmsbooks.com) and click on their Mowbray publishing link. Anything CW related that they publish (and you don't own) are sure items to add. I'm about to purchase the new two volume set that they have published on US Flintlock muskets & bayonets by Peter Schmidt. It takes all of Robert Reilly's excellent work to the next level. Other books you have got to have (I'm probably prarphasing half of the titles):

(1) Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Arms
            (2) Dr. CH Rhoads "The British Soldiers Firearm from Smooth Bore to Small Bore"
            (3) Any book by DeWitt Bailey on British & European martial arms. Most are out of print, but he is wealth of great knowledge on the subject. Especially look for his book "British Military Longarms 1815-1865" and his "Percussion Guns & Rifles". Both are out of print but can be found through Amazon's out of print search service.
            (4) Paul Johnsons "Cartridge Boxes of the Union Infantryman" and his forthcoming book on bayonet scabbards. I've seen some of the stuff he has doen on this new book and it will be a wonderful addtion to everyone's CW arms library. That book is probably a year away, and will be available from Man At Arms books.
            (5) "Springfield Armory Shoulder Weapons 1795-1968" by Robert Ball? Great book on guns produced at Springfield armory from the beginning through Vietnam. Great color photos and it covers LOTS of weird "we only made a few of these" examples. It also covers model variations and illustrates them well.
            (6) Joe Bilby's first book "Civil War Firearms".
            (7) Also out of print: "US Martial Small Arms" by Robert Reilly. It covers flint & percussion, long arms and handguns through about the beginning of the CW.

I hope these are helpful. A good library is a fine investment.
            [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
            [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
            Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
            Member The Company of Military Historians
            Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
            Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
            [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X