Places to buy Authentic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to buy Authentic

Hey I am trying to find a sutler to buy authentic Unifroms preferably the NC Depot Shell Jackets and Trowsers. I had heard Old North State Sutlers and Ben Tart sells some pretty good period uniforms but I wanted to know if you guys had any better ideas.

Thanks
    Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Re: Places to buy Authentic

Visit our Approved Vendors links here.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Ben Tart is your man. His phone number is 252-883-5374. Ben is a great guy and very knowledgable about NC uniforms but terrible about responding to email so give him a call. Get the NC State Seal buttons, they were issued throughout the war and were issued earlier than the sunburst pattern. Ben can give you the details.

Charlie Childs makes NC depot jackets too but his wait time is six months or more. Ben might have one on a hanger he can ship out immediately.

North State makes depot jackets too but for the money I might lean towards Ben. I like his 10J logwood jean.

And no, neither Ben nor Charlie are on the approved vendor list but but I think those two and FHW should be granted approved vendor emeritis status.

It is bad when you have a sutler on speed dial......
      Last edited by edwardwatson; 03-07-2007, 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction
      Edward Watson
      Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
      You can never do more,
      You should never wish to do less."
      -Robert E. Lee

Comment

On the Approved Vendors list, you'll find the Richmond Depot. Under his offerings, look under clothing, then under Sack Coats. His items are well priced, he provides his research on the items on his web site, and he does great work.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Let's clear up something about the Approved Vendor list right now before this thread goes any further. To be put on the list the first step is to ask to be put on it. These three in all likelihood would be added immediately but so far neither FHW, Ben or Charlie have asked to be on the approved vendor list.

Some vendors choose to be on the list, some do not. No one on the AC is keeping any of these vendors from joining.

Originally posted by edwardwatson View Post
          And no, neither Ben nor Charlie are on the approved vendor list but but I think those two and FHW should be granted approved vendor emeritis status.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the "wanting to sell" forum here. You might be able to pick up what your looking for in good shape. Also, I would second taking a look at Richmond Depot. I have done a little bit of business with Scott and it has been a positive experience. He does the sack coat and if I am not mistaking he will put together a NC Depot for you. I could be wrong about the later. Good luck,
            Aaron Meredith

Comment

Thanks guys for your help. I wanted to know your opinions before I went and bought something from Ben Tart or old North State Sutler.

Again my Thanks
              Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Here's how you buy "good kit":

* Decide what you're portraying.
                * Research it. Find out what kit they REALLY had.
                * Resarch vendors. Find out who makes the best reproduction, coupled with customer service and, sometimes, price.
                * Then buy it.

Do NOT just ask "who makes good stuff?" on an Internet forum. It's similar to saying, "Who makes good automobiles?" The reply will (or should be), "it all depends..."

An educated consumer is the best customer.

Comment

I ordered one from Ben, last Dec. He never answered my emails, but answered the phone when called. I'm expecting it any moment now. I'll post up some pics, on its arrival. Can't beat the price, natural dyed, and details of his products.
                  Jerry Holmes
                  28th GA. Inf
                  65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

I would personally recommend Richmond Depot, Scott and Fenney do a wonderful job.

Matt
                    Matthew Thompson

Comment

I'll cast my vote for Ben as well...I have an NC Sack, NC Depot and Trousers from him and his work is top notch.

Robin

PS: The pic in my profile is an NC Depot by Ben.
                      Robert F. Wallace
                      38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                      North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post

AMEN! ~Gary
                        Gary Dombrowski
                        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                          Is Sy Sims selling NC Depot now? :D

Ron Myzie

Comment

Working...
                          X