This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knapsacks

I only want to ask a question. I am interested to hear if there are alternate responses.

What other on-line source do reenactors have to search for the right equipment if they are interested in upgrading their gear?
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

4. Why do I have to "keep my mouth shut"? You and the folks who defend others' right to ask terminally stupid questions should also consider keeping quiet instead of defending the lazy, who don't usually support decent events anyway.

Just for the record Kevin, I did keep my mouth shut at first. You were the first one to start with the smartass remarks so I simply commented on the issue.
      Daniel Calhoun

Comment

Kevin, I'm definitely going to agree with Danimal that you're posts in this thread contain some of the most arrogant and truly smart assed comments I've read on this forum and it makes you look less than what you probably think it does. I'll agree that some of the questions asked here shouldn't have been asked in the first place or at least should have had a small measure of attempted research behind them. Quite honestly, with the forum crashes, many of the good posts that would have been found by a search are no longer available to those you constantly direct to search. I personally had quite a few good posts with photos go down the toilet with the crash. Maybe the better solution to those posts you love so well would be for the moderators to simply create a dumb ass questions or similarly titled folder and deposit said questions in there post haste to avoid disrupting the viewing pleasure of the long time forum members you speak of. I've been around here since 2004 BTW...what does that make me? Probably not long time in your opinion but I don't really give a pile. The holier than thou attitude you and others shoulder while on this forum is probably just as old to most as the dumb ass questions are old to you.
        Regards,
        [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
        Co. H 33rd Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
        Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
          I only want to ask a question. I am interested to hear if there are alternate responses.

What other on-line source do reenactors have to search for the right equipment if they are interested in upgrading their gear?
          Eric,

In regards to other forums, this is the only one that I know of. Sure there are web site / sources of gear out there that one could use for research. But if your question was aimed at forum based sites, I can't think of any.
          Thanks
          Daniel MacInnis
          Adair Guards
          Commonwealth Grays
          [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post

None, outside of private unit forums.
            Tristan Galloway

Comment

Eric:

To your question, this is the only forum that has the most research and information around pertaining to multiple facets of the WBTS, besides private unit sites like stated before.

Dale Winch

Comment

My first reply to this question was in the hopes of getting Mr. Vail to do his own research and not to ask ANYMORE "who makes the best..." whatever. There is NO reason to ask such questions. The approved vendor list has all the CONTACT info you need. These vendors should be able to answer ANY question you have on the gear you need. If one doesnt answer your question to your satisfaction, then call or email the next. I know some quality vendors are not on this forum, but that is by THEIR choice.
                This IS NOT a beginner forum and even tho I have never met Mr. Obeirne I stand with him on this.
                Maybe instead of having a "dumbass" question folder, we have a MENTOR folder where some of you "missionaries" can put your email addresses for newbies to send you these same questions over and over again.
                just thought I'd rant a little too,
                everett taylor
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ewtaylor View Post
                  My first reply to this question was in the hopes of getting Maybe instead of having a "dumbass" question folder, we have a MENTOR folder where some of you "missionaries" can put your email addresses for newbies to send you these same questions over and over again.

everett taylor
                  As I mentioned before, that maybe a mentor area would be a good thing to look at. Have an area of volunteers, in the folder have Knap Sack questions?, etc etc. This is allow those to go this forum when trying to upgrade. I don't disagree with Mr. Oberine, and understand the frustration of the repeated post, like I said been here since 2001 or 2002.

I just think that some people are looking for some help or some to help guide, just don't know whow to ask right.
                  Thanks
                  Daniel MacInnis
                  Adair Guards
                  Commonwealth Grays
                  [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Okay this thread is getting out of hand, I guess its true I should have said the question better or in a different wayy. I did not come here to get everyone mad at everyone so if we could just drop the subject and move on I would really appreciate it. Besides somebody on this forum has already help me. Again to those who sent me a private message I thank you.
                    Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Chadd,

Your question just happened to be the one folks noticed. Call it a catalyst, if you will. Don't take it personally, because the mentoring vs missionary work debate has been going on for as long as I remember, and as an adjunct to that debate a good number of people realize the AC Forum, as a whole, isn't for beginners, yet at the same time don't want to turn away those who have a genuine interest in learning more about history.

How to create a happy medium? I don't know, but having a place where a newbie wont' get his ass shot off for asking a simple question might be a good idea. Maybe, just maybe instead of The Awkward Squad, we could call it the Asshole Free Zone.....wait I couldn't get in there if we did that....
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I've been a member on this forum for almost two years now, and though I haven't posted much I come here regularly. That being said, this forum is an outstanding resource that should be utilized but it shouldnt be the ONLY resource. As reenactors/living historians and people with a general love of this time period, one would think researching would be fun. It is to me at least. Tedious, yes, work, sometimes. I'm not questioning anyone's lack of enjoyment of the history or the hobby, it just seems to me that it shouldn't be a problem to research before someone posts a question because, hey isn't that why we all started in this hobby and period of history in the first place? Because something in the brain when taught triggered a love in me for more knowledge. In a nuthsell, before posting simple WMTBs and the like research, 'cause hey! It's FUN!:wink_smil

Jeff Felton
                        Liberty Hall Volunteers
                        I Co. 4th Va. Infantry
                        Jeff Felton
                        [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
                        CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                        [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

I certainly agree that this is not a beginners forum but then I have to ask the question ....

What would we consider to be the "beginners" forum for those wanting to move from mainstream to authentic?

I mean their mainstrean companions aren't going to be any help because, well they're mainstream, and have achieved a level of authenticity they are comfortable with.

So they come to this forum to ask questions about how to improve thier impression.

Maybe the questions are badly phrased but where else could they be directed too?

I mean even among the approved vendors there has to be some 'discussion' on the authenticity of their particular offering, otherwise they'd all be offering exactly the same items and the only discussion would be price point.
                          Bob Sandusky
                          Co C 125th NYSVI
                          Esperance, NY

Comment

Bob,

Those are good questions, and some of them don't have really great answers within the confines of cyberspace, but there is a really good answer that I'll hold until the end. Frankly, I'd rather see one good, useful, enjoyable, educational thread about knapsack field modifications observed by the various collectors and museum hounds on this forum, than yet another 100 WMTBS posts about where some fellow can bust his cherry and buy his first knapsack.

The majority of the folks who have IMed or PMed me about this, and those who have expressed their sentiments in other ways for a number of years, essentially agree the best way to go to preserve the integrity of this forum is to simply delete the WMTBS questions, as well as those other questions so simple as to be significantly absurd. That's a "hard delete" and not simply moving those questions to some behind the scenes holding tank or collected public sump.

A number of members wish there was a button by which the offending posts could be simply transported to Szabo's or CW Talk just to dump them on some other shoulders. For those sharp folks, they'll notice many of the questions posed here are also posted on other fora, and in some cases it is as if the individual is intentionally wallpapering the waterfront. What kind of answers do they receive on the lesser fora? Either a thread that evolves into some us-vs-them horse beating contest (dead, one each), or a copy/paste from somebody bright enough to use the search engine here and then trot it out as their own work over there....or worse.

Yet others are tired, no, make that damn tired, of spoonfeeding, and as the fellows who once eagerly answered questions have burned out and slipped into the shadows once more, few have stepped up to replace them. The online forum, as folks may or may not believe, isn't the only place to get answers.

Originally posted by Bob 125th NYSVI View Post
                            What would we consider to be the "beginners" forum for those wanting to move from mainstream to authentic?
                            That would be his home unit. No all groups have abdicated their responsibility to teach their members, but some have. If his home unit is unable or unwilling to provide that information, the individual should seek another group that is willing and able to help guide him along the path to a more authentic impression. Is that implying some groups are better at researching and teaching than others? Yes it is.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Well since I have been posting on this forum I have been called a number of things the first is a newbie yes I am a newbie to this forums, but I am not a newbie to reenacting and Living History. I been doing reenacting for a number of years now actually starting out with a group who considers themselves authentic hardcore reenactors. You might of heard of them. the 64th OVI out of Mansfield Ohio. before the 64th OVI I have particapated in a number of events with other units such as the 8th OVI, 30th OVI, 3rd Maryland and 2nd Maryland and 14th OVI/3rd Arkansas, and on top of that particapating with other units such as the 10th SCVI and 27th SCVI. So if everyone could stop calling me a Newbie.
                              Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by 33rd VA Co. H View Post
                                Kevin, I'm definitely going to agree with Danimal that you're posts in this thread contain some of the most arrogant and truly smart assed comments I've read on this forum
                                It's a shame you view plain speaking in that light.

Because there's more folks here who defend a moron's right to ask terminally dumb, repetitive questions than there are folks who wish the conversation and topics to progress, I guess the consensus is "keep your mouth shut when you expect more of folks."

Thus another poster who contributed and simply wanted others to think a bit before engaging mouth or keyboard movees into the shadows of this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X