Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Patent Writing Kits

Hello all,

I did a search on this and found nothing.
    Over the weekend I came across several WWI and WWII personal hygiene/toiletry kits I have in my possession and was struck to recall that in some old publication that there was a similar item somewhere in a Civil War collection. The ones I have and vaguely recall seeing roll-up or fold-up like a housewife only they have pockets and loops for misc small items on the inside and even a couple on the outside. Obvisously, EoG (Union) has something similar. Does anyone reproduce this item or something like what I have and seen? Any photos somewhere in a private collection they can share?

Thanks in advance...

James Ross
    James Ross

Re: hygiene/toiletry kits???

You're looking for a L.B. Brooks Toilet and Writing Case Combined.

If you go over to the US Patent Office site:

and search for patent 41135, the information will pop up (after you click on "images".)

Flying Turtle Mercantile had these at Cedar Creek last year, but I don't know their current status.

John T
    John Taylor

Comment

Brooks Patent Writing Kits

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, please move as needed.

I've been looking (used the search function on the forum, used Google, etc.) to find a vendor that makes the Brooks Patent Writing Kit or a similar writing kit, but I've had no luck. Could someone point me in the right direction? I serve as an adjutant and would like to purchase a writing kit that I can store in my officers haversack and use in the field to complete various forms and correspondence. Any help is greatly appreciated.
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]Robert Masella
      Wheeling Fencibles
      Pridgeon's Shenandoah Legion
      Southern Division

"Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat" (The one whom God wants to destroy, he first makes mad): Col. S. Crutchfield, (Jackson's Chief of Artillery)[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Brooks Patent Writing Kits

A very quick Google search came up with the following:
        Fraser Brothers out of Dallas, TX website: http://home.fraser.net/~fraser/Fraser21.html (214)696-1865 has a reproduction listed at $95.00. I've never seen or heard of them, but I'm sure a phone call to them can check on the provenance of their repro and anyone else on this forum who has knowledge of them can pipe in. Good luck!
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Thanks, I didn't see that sight when I was looking. I kept finding The Flying Turtle Mercantile.
          Wheeling Fencibles
          Southern Division

"Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat" (The one whom God wants to destroy, he first makes mad): Col. S. Crutchfield, (Jackson's Chief of Artillery)[/FONT]

Comment

I tried the link listed above and it did not work, however I did find this Fraser Brothers and here's their link. http://www.frazerbrothers.com/ Unfortunatley I searched the entire site twice and did not see any mention of a Brooks Patent writing kit. They must have sold them at one time because the link I used to find the site had them listed a vendor of the afore mentioned kit. So, Bob I'd shoot them an e-mail, and let me know hat you find out.
            Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
            Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
            5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Bob,

Email me if you don't have any luck tracking one down.

ottertin@verizon.net
              Last edited by John Peterson; 03-12-2007, 11:55 AM. Reason: redundant signature
              John Peterson

Comment

I posted a query some time back seeking this item, and I know Pat Landrum had been looking for one as well. Please keep us posted!

Cheers,
                [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][B]Aden Nichols
                [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I received an email from Frazier Brothers. They are no longer retailing the Brooks Patent Writing Kits.
                  Wheeling Fencibles
                  Southern Division

Comment

John:

Sent you an email.

Bob
                    Wheeling Fencibles
                    Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd_Arkansas View Post
                      I received an email from Frazier Brothers. They are no longer retailing the Brooks Patent Writing Kits.
                      If anyone is interested, I have, what I think, is an original example of the Brooks writing kit but one hinged cover and the end pieces are missing on the tin compartment. It did not have any accessories included. I would be willing to work with anyone who would be interested in reproducing these. I do not have the expertise nor the funds to do the production of this item.

My example also has the owner's name and regiment written on the back of one of the dividers. I also have the patent drawings and descriptions.

I did notice in the recent ebay posting that the seller suggested that it was an 1861 patent but the patent records indicate that the patent was issued on Jan. 5, 1864 (#41,135). A similar writing case was patented by H. C. Whitten on Jan. 6, 1863 (#37,326).

I have searched a number of online primary sources and have not found any other documentation but patent records about the cases. There was a mention of a combination writing case and checker board, patented by H. C. Small (#34,168) on Jan. 14, 1862, in Scientific American but so far that is all. Granted, I have not done extensive research on portable folios or writing cases so I may not have exhausted all the resources. I don't have a great many military resources except the ORs.
                      Last edited by Virginia Mescher; 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM. Reason: needed to add additional missing parts
                      Virginia Mescher
                      vmescher@vt.edu
                      http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Nick,
                        I'm still not finding anything on a repop writing kit. Maybe one day!
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

For what its worth.....When the Flying Turtle Mercantile had the patented writing kits, it was owned by Jason Anderson... who I believe made the item. Jason had a nice setup as an authentic sutler but he has retired from the hobby and sold the business. As I recall, the new owners dont carry the inventory that Jason had. Unfortunately.

Kent Dorr
                          Devils Own Mess

Comment

There are two versions of the Brooks kit. The earlier one was just a writing kit, and predates the granting of a patent -- it bears the legend "Patent Applied For." This is the version in the attached photograph.

The second, patented, version was actually a combination writing/toiletry/housewife kit, and can be viewed on page 222 of Echoes of Glory.

Both versions do share some common features, like the sheet metal "core," oilcloth cover, closing tapes, contents/patent sheet, paper checkerboard, and unusual striped pattern of the inside cover.

John Tobey
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by John E. Tobey; 03-14-2007, 07:29 AM. Reason: added construction details

Comment

Didn't Haversack Depot carry these at one point? They were listed under "New Items" on their website some time ago, but not today.
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                              X