Brooks Patent Writing Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brooks Patent Writing Kits

Someone mentioned "Flying Turtle" and when searching for the Brooks Patent kit online yields that name as well, but I can find no working website, is this compnay still in business? Also, I searched the Haversack Depot site and could not find it either. So, the search continues.
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

I believe haversack depot did reproduce it at one point. Although its not posted on his website, i wonder if he still has some in stock, or is willing to reproduce one if asked?
      Caleb Horton

Comment

Gents, I have made a Brooks Wit kit. Since i can't upload a pix on the site because i'm over my limit . You can E-Mail me on my PC and will sent pix.
        Art
        Art Stone
        13th N.J.V.
        Co."K"
        " Rally, Boys Rally"
        Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Friends,
          I have a picture of the Brooks Patent Writing Kit that I got from Art Stone. It's the first one he made. I think it's awesome! What do you think?
          -Joe Bordonaro
          Last edited by pvtbordonaro; 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM.
          Joe Bordonaro

Comment

The kit looks real nice! Now the question is how can we get one, and if so how much would it be?
            Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
            Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
            5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Art -

Is your's made with the wood stiffeners that provide a more stury writing surface? Ditto on cost and availability. Flying Turtle was supposed to make me one but closed up before they did.
              Greg Forquer
              1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
              30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Just for your information, the Rollup Field Desk from Haversack Depot (photo #1) did not have the pockets for pens and pencils. It does have the slats and crossbar to make a solid writing surface. I believe that it was modeled from the item in photo #2.
                Last edited by Rob; 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM.
                [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Forquer View Post
                  Art - Flying Turtle was supposed to make me one but closed up before they did.
                  Sorry to hear they are gone, as The Flying Turtle was a fun place to visit, and set the bar high for a number of similar operations that followed in their footsteps.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The writing kit with the wooden slats in it is not a Brook's -- it is called the Hathaway's writing kit. The two most important characteristics of a Hathaway's is the wooden slats (as seen in the photo) and the special leakproof inkwell. You can see this kit on page 223 of EOG.

The Brooks' cover does not have the wooden slats. Also, both versions of the Brooks (both the "writing" kit and the "writing and toiletry" kit) are distinguishable by their peculiar vertically-striped cover liner.

John Tobey

Comment

Gent's.
                      As of now I only have made one kit,a prototype. It is a copy of SGT. James H. Griffin's Brook's Witing Kit that was for sale on EBay a while back. I have seen three different types of kits that were made by Brooks. It seens that Griffin's was the lower end model. I am interested in making a few more for sale to some fellows that are interested. If you are interested drop me a email and when I start in earnest I will let you know of my progress. I think they're pretty cool!
                      Art
                      Last edited by Arthur Stone; 05-20-2008, 06:22 PM.
                      Art Stone
                      13th N.J.V.
                      Co."K"
                      " Rally, Boys Rally"
                      Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

I have one of both.(Brooks and Hathaway) If I remember, Frazer Brother's made the Brooks Kit. The trick (fun) was getting all the correct things to go with them. Ecoes of Glory was a GREAT help!!!. When I got done, it was pretty neat, as it looked just like the original in the book.

I was at an event one time and a pard was reading a repro Harpers Weekly with an ad for it on the last page. We laughed at that.

I thought the Brooks was neater than the Hathaway.
                        John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                        The Hard Head Mess
                        The Old Northwest Volunteers
                        5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                        Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                        Sons of American Revolution
                        Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                        Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                        Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

National Geographic's Eyewitness to the Civil war also has a great photo of the Brooks patent toilet and writing kit on pg. 97 It looks just like Arts repro. The book says...
                          "The brooks patent toilet and writing kit, also known as a housewife (?), contained just about everything a soldier needed. This example, owned by a massachusetts cavalry sergeant, includes scissors, thread, buttons, pen, pencil, ink, shaving brush, toothbrush, writing paper, and a checkerboard with checkers."

-John Petty

Comment

Working...
                          X