Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather on Suspenders/Braces

Hello;
    I checked the search function first and couldn't find anything about this problem.

The problem is, after a long period of time the leather on my braces; ie the tabs that attach to my trowsers, have been starting to dry rot from the sweat (salt), and disconnect. Now I have replaced the leather tabs myself, However,is there anyway of treating the leather so this won't happen.
    I have a new pair of braces now, so there is no worry, but I would like to know ahead of time if this happens again..
    Just to be curious, does anybody have any period research or documentation on the life expectance of a pair of suspenders in the field.
    I can say, that a high quality elastic pair I owned lasted about 2 years before I replaced the leather tabs.:cry_smile
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Kindest Regards;
    Harold Adams
    Co. F, 48th NYVI
    "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
    Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Re: Leather on Suspenders/Braces

Applying Picards, or some other non-petroleum based leather treatment product, works, at least for me. You can mask off the cloth part to keep the treatment off of it, or be really, really careful.

Andy Redd
    Andy Redd

Comment

Andy;
      Since you've used this method, about how long have your braces lasted?
      Thanks for the advice.
      Kindest Regards;
      Harold Adams
      Co. F, 48th NYVI

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.

Comment

I'm using a pair that I made over three years ago and they are holding up pretty well..and they've gotten pretty wet at times from sweat, rain, etc.

Andy Redd
        Andy Redd

Comment

The continuous wetting and drying of the tabs or any leather, for that matter, will make them crack and split eventually. You can treat the leather with some mink oil or something to keep them soft. Set the suspenders out in the sun so the leather heats up which makes the poores open up. Then apply the oil and it will soak in better.
          How long they last is all based on how thick the leather is, quality of leather, etc... A little tender loving care and some mink oil will make all your leather items last longer.

Sean Cooper
          Sean Cooper
          [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
          SCAR

Comment

Another old saddlers remedy is glycerine soap.available at Saddle shops and good shoe repairs it will lend extra life to leather exposed to use and abuse. Bud Scully 13th NJ and 69thNY:)
            Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

I have found that bone buttons are kinder to brace leather than the tin paper backed buttons. Any thing that oxidizes (rust) and contacts the leather will affect the leather under the button. Even painted buttons will stain the leather and start to degrade it.

As a side note, I believe this is why the CS tin backed buttons sometimes used copper for button shanks. The tinplated or iron wire shanks rusted and ate through the button thread. Of course that was good for relic hunters.
              Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Rather than treat tabs with mink oil and other protectants, why not just let them age?

The soldier wouldn't have had these things available and the tabs were probably the last thing he worried about or ever looked at, (until they broke.) Having leather tabs grow hard, then brittle or outright breaking was a way of life.

Instead, plan ahead. From scrap leather cut out a couple rough tabs, cut a slit/hole in them for the button to pass through, and punch out a couple holes with a nail. Keep them in your housewife with the needle and thread and make your field repairs as needed. No different than replacing a button.

Best Regards
                Jay Stevens
                Tater Mess
                Independent Volunteers
                Iron Man Mess
                Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                Lost Tribes, October 2009
                Bummers, November 2009
                Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                In the Van, August 2010
                Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

As far as how long they were supposed to last, I am not sure, but in a book entitled "Civil War Marine" the diary entry for pay and reimbursement, after being at sea for 1 cruise, had him buying 2 sets of braces. This was after about on year, his initial issue was 2 sets.

I would presume that their problems were much the same as ours, except they wore them daily so breakage may have been more common.

S/F

DJM
                  Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                  (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Fellas;
                    Thanks to all for your replys and suggestions so far. Considering my options, it does seem it was just a more common thing when the ends did finally break.
                    The thickness and quality of leather is another thing too. A pair I purchased, had the leather tabs break quickly. Fortunatly I was able to obtain new braces, and set the other pair in my knapsack for future repair.
                    Kindest Regards;
                    Harold Adams
                    Co. F, 48th NYVI

Comment

one quick fix Ive done is when ( and depending exactly where) those leather straps break is to just go up stream from the break slit another hole and ajust the 'cockeyedness' acordingly...also I wear mine a lil loose that way if I get in a bind bending ect they dont break loose as fast..I'll just betcha this was an area of countless 'rigs':)
                      Gary Mitchell
                      2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
                      Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

Saddle soap will work just fine keeping the leather soft, supple and clean I use it on all my (horse) harness. And much of that has seen rough usage for at leat the last 20 years.

However since I know almost nothing about making soap I don't know if today's saddle soap (available in any decent feed or tack shop) is formualted even remotely like what was available in the CW

It is however an "elbow grease" heavy product, work it in and work it in good.
                        Bob Sandusky
                        Co C 125th NYSVI
                        Esperance, NY

Comment

Re: Leather Braces tabs

Add a precut/prepunched leather tab, linen thread, & a harness needle to your housewife. Field replacement/repair of braces tabs is easy by planning ahead. Spend your leather care time & resources on those brogans instead.
                          [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                          [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                          16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                          22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                          &
                          [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                          4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Working...
                          X