• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carrying The Rifle At Sling Arms

Phil, Sending you a PM.
    Rob Murray

Comment

Related Question: Was it more or less common to carry a loaded weapon on the march? Of course, it depends on the proximity of the enemy and possibility of immediate combat.

Just curious.

J
      [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
      [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Guns weren't carried loaded because there are only 2 ways to unload them. The easy way, which is nevertheless loud and dangerous, and the hard way which is slow and difficult. (Firing or pulling the ball.) Either way it's a waste of resources.) Your flankers should tell you if there is enemy about, and it only takes 20 seconds to load. Hunters loaded their guns and put them over the door at home, and shot them as they returned. Reference the "heard his gun at the end of the day" kind of talk.
        Rob Weaver
        Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
        "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
        [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Just got done reading a book on Wisconsin soldiers.....a comment was made about firing their weapons to clear them when they returned from Picket Duty.
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

"A sad accident occurred while the company was at Fairfax. It was on a pleasant day, October 30th. The boys were at platoon drill when they were interrupted and returned to camp. One of their comrades had been shot. His name was Henry Richardson, who being detailed on fatigue duty was at work arranging for a hospital tent. A detail from the 26th Wisconsin regiment had discharged their guns into an embankment a half mile distant and in line with the 157th. A stray ball went over the bank and struck Richardson in the head, killing him instantly... In the language of one of the boys, 'It was bad enough to be shot at by rebels,' without additional risks from the rifles of their friends."

Barlow, Albert Rowe. Company G: A Record of the Services of One Company of the 157th N.Y. Vols. in the War of the Rebellion from Sept. 19, 1862 to July 10, 1865.
            [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

I ran across this last night in Viele's "HANDBOOK FOR ACTIVE SERVICE", 1861

page 50 while talking about the route step:

"...The soldiers now carry their arms in any manner most convenient. Some sling them over their shoulder, (most of them, indeed, prefer this mode as the least fatiguing,)...."

I repeat my theory that Casey's was simply reminding us about muzzle up while slinging and not mentioning slinging itself as something new or unusual.
              John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                Hey!
                Some tell that lad in the middle... the eagle goes on the side and the bugle goes on the front of the hat!
                Curt, that's an example of the Old Army fit. The hat was too big, so he turned it sideways. With the narrow sides now in front and rear, the hat stayed on his head. Eventually, the hat will conform to the size of the head or become too large again. If too large, repeat the turning process.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by RJSamp View Post
                  Just got done reading a book on Wisconsin soldiers.....a comment was made about firing their weapons to clear them when they returned from Picket Duty.
                  Yeah, this policy is mentioned all the time in regimental order books. However Braxton Bragg was so concerned about wastage of valuable rounds he directed, to the maximum extent possible, that pickets were to henceforth pull out rounds and recycle the powder, which would, in turn, be handed over to Ordnance Sergeants.

I'd have to look in my notes, but I believe this order was issued in early 1863--I found it in a regimental order book connected with Brown's/Palmer's Brigade.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
                    I ran across this last night in Viele's "HANDBOOK FOR ACTIVE SERVICE", 1861

page 50 while talking about the route step:

"...The soldiers now carry their arms in any manner most convenient. Some sling them over their shoulder, (most of them, indeed, prefer this mode as the least fatiguing,)...."

I repeat my theory that Casey's was simply reminding us about muzzle up while slinging and not mentioning slinging itself as something new or unusual.
                    Great Find!.... it goes far to support my original post.

Thanks
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I've been on the march and have had officers tell me not to sling my musket, just as I've been on the march and seen officers not care a bit. There is no denying that "slinging" is in the manual(at least Casey's). I've always taken the firm stance that the guy with the stripes is in charge, even if he's proven that he's un-knowledgable. If for whatever reason he doesn't want me to sling my musket it doesn't matter. I've often reflected, instead of getting pissed off, on how a commander not thorough in the manual is probably more authentic than we realize or give credit to. I know that out of 1000 men who left orange county with the 124th NY only 6 had prior military experience, and none of those 6 were commanding a company. As they learned I know that a lot of them developed quirks and what not about military techniques, that did inevitably piss off the soldiers under them. My point is that this forum is the perfect place to bitch about all of the inadequacies of the hobby, but the field isn't. I hate nothing more than enlisted men arguing with commissioned officers.
                      Ryan McIntyre
                      124th New York State Volunteers
                      Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                      Joseph H. Johnston
                      March 16th 1863
                      Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                      Henry M Howell
                      March 8 1863
                      In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

I could not agree more! Having been on both sides of the issue the only thing more frustrating than an Officer who doesn't know what he is doing is the guy in the ranks who has to argue with him. That would not have been tolerated and the offending Soldier would have caught the flat side of the blade. Argue off the feild if you want but otherwise "Quiet in the Ranks"!
                        Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

I'll play Devil's advocate here, I totally agree that there should be no agruments between rank and file and officer but it's up to the officer to not create the situation. In the case young Mr. Hicks first mentioned I believe the officer wrong and were he junior to me would have had a word with him (in private of course, you can't undermine him in front of the men.) What did he do wrong ?

Except in unusual situations the officer doesn't need to be supervising individual soldiers, he uses the chain of command. If he's appalled at men slinging arms at route step he makes that fact known to the 1st sergeant. To challenge the man directly demeans him and pushes him to respond.

I know there were plenty of officers, especially early war, who didn't know their craft but I think there's no excuse for it and certainly none in our world. Becoming a good pretend officer is studying as real officers did, this is far more important than where can I find a sword,etc. A good (pretend) volunteer officer should be studying constantly, the different manuals available to him, especially Scott's TACTICS and Hardees, the numerous "how to" handbooks (I've run across about 50% of Kautz word for word in earlier works) Jomini, Macdougall's THEORY OF WAR, etc, and bugle calls.

If you want the men to respect you don't act like a buffoon. There's no God-given right to command, it's simple, if you fear a private throwing Paragraph 105, Page 50 at you, then make sure you know more than him.
                          John Duffer
                          Independence Mess
                          MOOCOWS
                          WIG
                          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

"There's no God given right to command" Truer words have not been spoken , bully for you Mr. Duffer!
                            Edward Anthony Parrott
                            "Humbug"

Comment

This has been an informative and generally useful thread. But...

For those having occasion to tote an Enfield, it does leave a question unanswered: how to "sling" the cussed thing "with the muzzle up." Even if slung across the back (as in the photos posted above in this thread), the Enfield is awkwardly positioned. I can only conclude, from the arrangement of the sling swivels, that the British must have intended the weapon to be slung muzzle down. In American service, this could run afoul of the prescriptions of the manuals.

Has anyone seen any info on the method of slinging of Enfields by the soldiers who carried them? (For instance, I have always wondered if any reference exists to soldiers moving the forward sling swivel down to the middle barrel band, a la the Sprinfield? I haven't seen such a reference, so I haven't done it...but I have wondered.)
                              Last edited by Dan Munson; 12-10-2007, 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo correction
                              Dan Munson
                              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
                              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

I have carried my enfield both ways at sling arms, and yes it's tons more comfortable with the muzzle down. Is there any explanation why it souldn't be carried this way? If it's empty there is no danger of firing and if loaded it would only shoot into the ground (very few tarred roads). Also if it is raining the barrel would remain dry.
                                Cris L. Westphal
                                1st. Mich. Vol.
                                2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
                                A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

Working...
                                X