Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanket comparison question

Hi All,
    I'm trying to figure out what new blanket to get to add some warmth for winter events. I've been able to handle a "Mahone" blanket by Childs in the field, and found it to be very warm and well-knit. I'm wondering if anybody could comment on what they thought about Childs' civilian blanket (white with blue end stripes) and Daley's TV Brooke blankets. Do these compare well with the Mahone blanket or Childs' Federal issue blanket? Thanks for your help!
    Yours in The Cause,
    Will Tatum
    Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Blanket comparison question

Will,

I own one of the three (the C. Childs white one) & have seen the other two plenty of times. I do like them all but for me at least it would depend upon what you are portraying the majority of the time. Since I am guessing you will be doing some NC/Confederate for the majority of events you will be attending I would suggest you look towards the two blankets that have a military provenance (i.e. the repop Mahone or Brooke blankets). Either one would do. However, I would also suggest you sound out opinions with your pardners in the North State Rifles as I am sure a few of them are well versed in Confederate material culture to say the least. Good luck & take care.
    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by North_State_Rambler View Post
      Hi All,
      I'm trying to figure out what new blanket to get to add some warmth for winter events. I've been able to handle a "Mahone" blanket by Childs in the field, and found it to be very warm and well-knit. I'm wondering if anybody could comment on what they thought about Childs' civilian blanket (white with blue end stripes) and Daley's TV Brooke blankets. Do these compare well with the Mahone blanket or Childs' Federal issue blanket? Thanks for your help!
      Let me try to answer this without promoting my blanket....

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with any of the blankets sold by Charlie Childs. I own both his Federal Issue Blanket and his Mahone blanket and they are reproduced with exacting detail as to weave, weight and color.

I have owned the Child's 1851 blanket since 1993 and have never been dissapointed. From the howling winds of lookout mountain the the frozen snow atop Maryland Heights, I have never done a Federal event without it in my knapsack.

I would note that his Mahone blanket isn't 'knit' as you mention, but woven.

Hope this answers your question.
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I have slept with the Brooke blanket at many events and it is by far my favorite blanket. It is extremely warm, in fact at one event that was in cold weather I had to roll it down aways to cool off.

I might also add that if you are doing any early war event the 1861 NC Emergency Blanket offered by Ben Tart is very nice. While not the warmest blanket I've ever slept with it is pretty good and very authentic and unique.

Regards,
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Hi All,
          Will - all the Childs blankets are outstanding, as they are exacting copies of originals. The Mahone blanket, for instance, was taken from one of CS Gen Mahone's Division wagons, April 6, 1865 by a Pennsylvania cavalryman.

The TV Brooke blanket is also outstanding - copied from the original carried by Brooke. Brooke seems to have literally kept everything - one could make an entire outfit and most of the equipment from his surviving artifacts.

All are great - it comes down to personal preference.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi All,
            All the blankets you mention are outstanding repops as the others have said. All 3 Childs blankets are exacting repops. The T.V. Brooke Blanket is a great repop as well. I examined the original about 2 years ago at the MOC. It compares well in weight, weave, and color.
            John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
              Yours in The Cause,
              Will Tatum
              Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Will, keep your arse stateside and you'll find out what blanket is best.:wink_smil

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles
                http:www.northstaterifles.com
                Mark Berrier

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have or know where I can find a photo of a Child's Mahone blanket? I'd like to compare it to a similar antique blanket I've found.

Thanks!
                  D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                  19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                  [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                  George Santayana

Comment

Working...
                  X