Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on upgrades from a new recruit

Campaigners,

I am new to reenacting, and I want to upgrade my kit. I have a few questions. For an Eastern Theater mid-war impression, would it be more authentic to purchase a reproduction Schuylkill Arsenal sack coat and trousers or purchase reproductions of contractor made sack coats and trousers such as those made by J. T Martin? Also, was it more common for an Eastern Theater soldier during mid to late 1862 to be issued an arsenal made cartridge box or a contractor made box such as C. S Storms. Who got what? Does it depend more on the regiment and location or the date that they were equiped? After researching for myself and asking questions of others, I plan to buy a sack coat made by Daley, Wedeward, or Wambaugh and White but would appreciate advice on what would be the best way to go.

Kind Regards,

Richard O'Flaherty
    Richard O'Flaherty
    Private Daggett

Re: Question on upgrades from a new recruit

Richard,

When you joined the listserver for this event, and read the impression guidelines uploaded in the files section, what were the specific recommendations for uniform and equipment items?
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I recommend buying one of everything and hope you get to enough events to use it all.

Brett "Homer" Keen
      Chicago
      [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Richard,

Is your question regarding the Winter 1864 event or is a generic question on reenacting? If it's regarding the event, either a Schuylkill Arsenal or NYC Depot (for example, J.T. Martin contract) jacket is acceptable, although New York jackets, while not required, are encouraged.

Comment

I would recomend buying a sack coat from Wambaugh, White. I got one from them and am very happy with it. They did a really good job.
          Tyler McHone
          Tyler McHone
          Liberty Rifles

Comment

I agree with purchasing a blouse from Wambaugh and White. I have seen there SA and contract blouses and they really please me. The material and thread is some of the best i've seen. As far as which to choose given the era you want to represent both are very common. The contract blouse is nice because its as generic as a blouse can be and based off of various contract blouses made during the war, also its cheaper than the SA blouse. The issue with the SA blouse is that they were entirely hand sewn, I just finished making one and can honestly say the $475 is worth the price a lot of work goes into one of those things. Now, what makes the SA blouse a good purchase is that it is one of the most common coats throughout the war, it will cover 1861-1865. If you are able to sew though wambaugh and white offers an SA blouse kit which isn't that hard to construct, just very time consuming. Hope this helps.

Patrick Abbey
            Patrick Abbey

Liberty Rifles
            SC Society

Comment

If this discussion about sack coats is particular to the W64 event, then the discussion should be oriented on that and not generalized. If the discussion is not regarding items for the W64 event, it should probably be in another folder on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                If this discussion about sack coats is particular to the W64 event, then the discussion should be oriented on that and not generalized. If the discussion is not regarding items for the W64 event, it should probably be in another folder on this forum.

Is there an echo in here, you posted the same info on 8/24/2007.

Since no specific style of fatigue blouse is Required for the W64 and MANY other events, the ubiquitous generic Federal uniform is fine, and no nonspecific answers to this lads very period specific non event specific query should be posted up here.

The simple answer is any decent (made by a reputable vendor) sack coat, rifle, and cartridge box is fine for any event as long as the event doesn't REQUIRE you bring a P53 Blued Enfield, or Require an 1864+ SA Sack Coat stitched by a Male over the age of 40. So let's stop giving advice as though what unit your unit is portraying or which event you are attending matters as to which which generic items someone new to the hobby purchases.

As if this hobby wasn't expensive enough already.
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

RJ,

When did you become the events spokesman as far as uniforms go for W64?
                  Micah Trent
                  Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                  Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Hallo!

8/22/07 - 1/22/08.

Maybe he has already made a decision... ;) :)

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Feel free to post offline as I'm curious to which unit you belong in Washington.

The CHAPs are doing a living history in conjuction with the Museum of History And Industry (MOHAI) in Seattle on Saturday, 16 February. Location is the museum grounds. WCWA members with Federal kit are invited to participate. We'll be portraying a company from the 1st Washington Territorial Volunteers. The last WCWA Federal battalion commander will be commanding the company. Word has been given to local company commanders, but reenacting politics has a tendency to mute the message.

I don't know what your present kit happens to be, but you're welcome to attend so long as you have complete kit and weapon. As much as we may want the event to be on the upper end of the authenticity spectrum, it's hard to get completely in the spirit when you've got a large parking lot and modern building to the front and Husky Stadium to our rear. The CHAPs are always willing to help anyone who is interested in improving their kit and attitude.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas:

It'll be good to see you there at MOHAI. I'll be there as a private in Co. "K." I just want another opportunity to spend some quality time with Isaac Stevens's desk!

John McPherson
                        John McPherson
                        Member, "The Lost Towney" Mess
                        Co. A, Fourth U.S. Inf'y & Co. K, 1st Washington Territory Vols.
                        Fort Steilacoom, Washington Territory

Comment

Gents:

"Question on an upgrade from a new recruit" was the first post that I presented on the AC. I realized after I had submitted the question that I posted it in the wrong forum--my mistake. I then re-submitted the question in the proper forum. This was a long time ago. Since this time, I have done a great deal of research and have purchased items from the list of approved vendors on the AC. From the perspective of someone new to the hobby, and a person trying to honor the memory of the Civil War soldier by portraying them as accurately as possible, I must say that the AC is an invaluable tool to increase one's knowledge. Thank you for the advice.

Kind Regards,
                          Rich O'Flaherty
                          Richard O'Flaherty
                          Private Daggett

Comment

John, here's a link you might appreciate : it's "A History of the Organization and Movements of the Fourth Regiment of Infantry, United States Army from May 30, 1796, to December 31, 1870" by Capt. William Henry Powell. I stumbled upon it over the weekend and placed it on my links page. Don't know if you've see it or not.

I don't know my role at MOHAI other than the guy bringing a tent fly or two. I figure to be beating the old banjo between firing and drill demonstrations.
                            Silas Tackitt,
                            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                            X