North Carolina blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina blanket

Comrades this subject has been bandied about for quite some time and the basic answer is still: What did Brit import blankets look like?

Fred Gaede and others have done excellent work here but as far as I know, there is no identified wartime imported blanket other than the 4 surviving "NC" blankets which we believe were imports. All of these have the "NC" sewn in to them. There is a feeling (but no proof) that there may have been loads of these blankets sent through the blockade that were meant for all parts of the Confederacy, but may not have had the NC sewn in. The question is:

1. Did a version of that blue-gray blanket come through without the "NC?"

2. If so, where did they go?

3. What other type of imported blanket came into the CS?

There are tantalizing little snippets from QM reports about blankets in the TMD, Navy OR's, etc, but no smoking gun description that I can find. We would like to plan a blanket issue to the troops in support of preservation at Mansfield 2004. We can get the currently made "NC" banket by Waterside Woolens and are going to negotiate to have a run made without the NC sewn in - but I am interested in everyone's thoughts on whether we are on solid (mushy) ground authenticity wise.

Chime in as you arrive at the cool new site!
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: British Import Blankets

Doug,

There is an original British tan blanket used by a cavalryman in Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War. Not sure of the page number though.... It has the WD and arrow stamps so it must have been British issue. An article I had on British imports lists them as white. I will look for it and post the details later on...

Ethan Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Reserve
      Doug,

There is an original British tan blanket used by a cavalryman in Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War. Not sure of the page number though.... It has the WD and arrow stamps so it must have been British issue. An article I had on British imports lists them as white. I will look for it and post the details later on...

Ethan Rogers
      Ethan - yes apparently that was used as a saddle blanket and I have heard of references to white import blankets as well, but no origin. Looking forward to your article. I find it interesting that the Tait cloth (British Army Cloth) and the NC blankets are made from what appears to be the same yarns.

Kevin Black has some interesting finds from some QM reports he is pouring over and will post them once he gets on the forum.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

Comment

The article is from the June 22, 2003 Panama City News-Herald (an odd place for such info.) Page 4B. There was a reenactment of an attack on the salt-works in that area and the local Historical Society did the research and submitted it to the paper.

That quoted the Tempestuous Triangle by E.W. Carswell, that is actually where the following came from. "Enfields, lead, powder, white blankets, and cloth came throught the blockade at Saint Andrews. Governor Milton ordered 200 wagons to haul away the munitions and equipment." The date of this import was March 1862. Interesting to see English cloth being imported this early as well as white blankets being specified.

One interesting thing about the cavalry blanket though, is the fact that many CS troopers actually used normal blankets in lieu of special saddle blankets. The Alabama State Museum for example notes this with an original they have.

Comment

Dear all,

I've been in touch with Kevin Black ref. these blankets, and got passed on from a local regimental museum in Salisbury to the National Army Museum in London. One of the staff there was kind enough to send me a pretty detailed reply, which I thought might be of interest or help, so first, here are the questions I asked:-

"I am making enquiries on behalf of a friend of mine from Mississippi, Kevin Black, who has been researching the history of the 4th Texas Infantry in the Confederate Army.

He has found some documents indicating that this regiment was equipped with British Army blankets, purchased by the Confederate purchasing agents based in England, and smuggled through the Republican blockade. He says that importing woollen goods from England was quite common, as even at the start of the American Civil War, the Confederacy's manufacturing capacity was very limited, and this was exacerbated when their main blanket factory was burned down in May, 1863. Kevin says he has been shown what is claimed to be a replica, which measures 60" x 80", weighs 4 3/4 lbs, is coloured white, and has a plain weave. It has no markings, such as WD, or the broad arrow. He says he has seen another blanket in a private collection in America, which is claimed to have a provenance back to a Confederate cavalryman. This is coloured grey, and is marked with the letters WD, and the broad arrow.

However, yesterday I visited the regimental museum of the Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment, in Salisbury. One of their displays includes a private showing uniform and accoutrements as used in China in 1860. His water bottle was not marked "WD", as I would have expected, but "B O", with the broad arrow in between the B and the O. The curator explained that this stood for Board of Ordinance, which was a purchasing agency working on behalf of the British Army. This made me wonder about the blanket my friend has seen; would a blanket issued around the date he specified have also been marked "BO", rather than "WD"?

My other query is this. I would have thought that a civilian blanket manufacturer would not mark any blankets as being Army property until they were definitely sold; as if the sale was not completed, would the manufacturer have been able to sell the marked blankets to anyone else? I can well believe that a civilian buyer might be wary of buying such a blanket, as it might lay him open to accusations of theft - and the penalties for stealing military property in those days would be pretty fierce!

To sum up; I would like to establish the following points:-

What was the colour, size, weight and markings, of a standard issue British Army blanket through the period 1860-65 (as issued to an Infantry of the Line regiment);

Did the Army sell off any surplus blankets around that time? (I have seen other references to the Tower selling off surplus muskets when they were superceded by Enfield rifle)

Do you have any documentation relating to civilian blanket contractors, who might have sold blanket of the British Army pattern to Confederate agents?

If you have a blanket of this period on display, I would think it well worth the trip to see it. Also, if you think the best way for me to find the answers my friend needs is to get a reader's ticket for your archive, I understand I would need to provide a reference. I am employed in a College of Further Education in Winchester; would a senior member of the academic staff in the History Department be acceptable as a referee?

With thanks,

Jack Enright"

Emma Dixon, of the National Army Museum, sent me the following reply this morning:-

"Our Ref: 8730.7/ED

Dear Mr Enright

Enquiry: British Army Blankets, c.1860-1865

Thank you for your enquiry concerning British Army blankets of the period c.1860-1865.

Unfortunately, there has been very little written on blankets of this period, and I regret that we do not have an example in our Collection which would confirm aspects such as colour, size and weight.

I can inform you however that the initials WD (War Department) superseded BO (Board of Ordnance) in 1856. After 1856 you would not normally find the letters BO on items marked with the Government ownership markings, unless of course a soldier was supplied with an item already in store. With regard to the water bottle you have seen displayed, may I ask if there is a possibility this item may be a replica? It is a common mistake amongst re-enactors and museums to overlook this change of marking in 1856.

I have found a reference to a blanket of the Crimean War period, 1854-1856, which is described as a buff-coloured blanket with a red stripe and BO markings. Unfortunately the British Army Lists of Changes in Military Stores only begin in 1860 and I could not find a reference to how they might have changed after the War. (Emma would be referring to the Crimean War; JE)

It is particularly difficult with this period to assess the type of blankets issued. Both the Army and the suppliers would have sold off excess equipment and you often find unmarked equipment supplied by the civilian blanket contractors who could produce what they wanted for the market.

There are a number of books in the Reading Room of the National Army Museum that cover the equipment of this historical period, but I do not know if they could tell you anything more. If you do wish to conduct further research into this subject, the reference you have suggested would certainly be acceptable.

I hope this information is of assistance and I'm sorry I could be of no further help.

Emma Dixon
          Department of Weapons, Equipment and Vehicles"

I've forwarded this info to Kevin, and thanked Emma on behalf of Kevin and myself. I'm sorry, to quote Doug Cooper, that we're still on pretty mushy ground as far as these blankets are concerned! :(

But I'll keep digging at this end, and post any further info I find. That is, as and when I can fit it in with my preparations for relocating to my new job on January 5th! :D

Best regards,

Jack Enright
          24th MI Vol Inf (UK)
          Pvt. Jack Enright - Co. A, 19th Indiana Vol Inf (GB)

Comment

I likewise was making inquiries for Kevin, and received this response from Bill Adams, a noted collector of British military good:

Some [British blankets] were aboard the schooner Stephen Hart that was captured by the federals in March, 1862. The US Army wound up with the blankets that were in the cargo. The cloth included "white twilled flannel and brown Holland, for lining army overcoats;" and large quantities of Silesia sleeve linings with colors listed as "brown," "drab," or in some cases simply as Silesia. There were 15,432 prs of stockings; 6,800 4 ½ lb gray blankets; 1,600 5 lb white blankets; and 150 5 ½ lb white blankets.

On March 19, 1862 the cargo of the captured blockade runner Stephen Hart was appraised by Orison Blunt. Blunt stated: "I found every article to be of value for use in our own army and navy,except a large quantity of rebel buttons; these buttons having been manufactured in Great Britain for the use of the rebel army, and stamped with a rebel device, I was unable to put any value upon them, except that of old brass."
            Michael McComas
            drudge-errant

Comment

Mike - do you remember or does it state where the Hart was captured?

Thanks everyone for working this baby for us - hopefully we can generate enough info and maybe an original for a reproduction. Troiani's blanket may be the real deal then if there is no difference between a regular blanket and a saddle blanket as issued. I cannot imagine the CS QM sent one type of imported blanket to the cav and another to the other branches.

me thinks the blanket experts need to make a trip to Connecticut :)
              Last edited by DougCooper; 12-08-2003, 05:00 PM.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

Comment

Comrade Doug,
                If anyone ever gets the chance to visit the National Army Museum in Chelsea, London, they will be mightily impressed. It is far and away, imho, a better visit than the Imperial War Museum.
                I found the staff and exhibits to be excellent and user friendly. It's a place not as well known as the IWM, and so less-frequented.
                There are many collections of regimental clothing and issue equipments around the country, and it will probably boil down to mailing those associations to see what they may or may not have. Two that I know are very helpful is the 23rd Regiment of Foot at Caernarvon castle, Wales, and the 24th Foot at Brecon, Wales. The staff at these regimental homes/museums are normally retired members of the unit, and thus well versed in it's history and the little nuances, etc.
                The other source that needs to be investigated further is the Museum of the Confederacy in Hamilton, Bermuda. It has a wealth of data on the blockade runners and their manifests, since most of thrm stopped there on their way to the Southern ports, and had to declare maniefsts, etc, for cutoms officials. When I was last there, there were huge numbers of images of the ships in port, and lots of copies of manifests, but what the stus currently is, and what access their may be I cannot tell.
                Respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Tim - care to join me for a Dark and Stormy at the Grotto on Bermuda? For all, Tim and I were lucky enough to deploy with our P-3 squadrons to Bermuda during the Cold War to track Russki missile subs...now that was tough duty! Dang, I was an ignorant fly boy back then and did not realize a great CW museum was under my nose.

I volunteer to lead a team to Hardship Island - hopefully we can get funding from some obscure historical research grant with limited oversite. :D
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

Comment

I seem to recall the mention of British Army blankets, though I don't think the color was mentioned, along w/ about 15,000 Enfields coming into the CSA through New Orleans in time to arm Johnstons Army prior to Shiloh. I can't recall the source at the moment, though it may have been Sword's book on Shiloh.

I was told by some gents of the 4th Alabama that they had evidence of the white blankets being in Bragg's Army at Chatanooga as they were listed as Captured after Missionary Ridge... I have no idea how accurate their research was.

All forum members are required to sign their full names to all posts. Please create an auto-signature in your profile. 1st Warning. Failure to do so by 12/10/03 will lead to your post being deleted.
                    Dusty
                    Last edited by dusty27; 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM.
                    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                    SUVCW Camp 48
                    American Legion Post 352
                    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
                      Tim - care to join me for a Dark and Stormy at the Grotto on Bermuda? For all, Tim and I were lucky enough to deploy with our P-3 squadrons to Bermuda during the Cold War to track Russki missile subs...now that was tough duty! Dang, I was an ignorant fly boy back then and did not realize a great CW museum was under my nose.

I volunteer to lead a team to Hardship Island - hopefully we can get funding from some obscure historical research grant with limited oversite. :D
                      Comrade Doug,
                      Ah yes, I remember the Grotto well....I also have fond memories of Wine and Cheese at George the Crook's in Lajes. Tough duty stations :)
                      Anyway, I am always ready for a few day's research in Hamilton. Perhaps we can find some space "A" travel out of Brunswick or Jax...All we'd need is crash space, and I'm certain that a charming and debonair TC can find someone at the O-Club to vouch for our prescence.......hint hint hint...
                      Anyway, that museum is well worth looking into.
                      respects,
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

Doug,

According to the OR's, the Stephen Hart left Liverpool bound for Cardenas in early November 1861, and was noted as having been captured in March, 1862, correspondence to Caleb Huse. March 15, 1862, Mr. Huse sent correspondence stating that the owners of the ship were attempting to recover their property from the US government. He goes on to say,

I beg to suggest to the Department the importance of everything relating to these shipments being kept entirely secret. From the evidence seen in the case of the Stephen Hart, I am confident that, no matter what may be the character of the flag, munitions of war belonging to the Confederate Government will be held by U.S. officers liable to capture, no matter where they may be found.
                        Based on its course to the West Indies, and Mr. Huse's suggestion that its secrecy had been compromised, I would guess that the Stephen Hart was taken on the open ocean. If she had been intercepted trying to run the blockade, the owners would have no case for recovering the ship and cargo, whereas siezure in international waters is a different matter.

While I was at it, I checked for other possible shipments of blankets from England to the Confederacy. Here is another:

12 December 1862: "By the Leopard, to leave in three days, I shall clear up the odds and ends of the Melita's cargo, besides 50 cases of Enfield rifles ... a large quantity of iron plates, a considerable shipment of woolens, all the blankets and shoes that could be got together..." The Leopard was bound for Charleston with the Antonica. Apparently a second vessel named Antonica was sent from England to St. Thomas, was rerouted to Havanna, where she was to pick up a pilot and run the blockade at Mobile. Her cargo was "22,000 pairs of shoes, 30 tons of gunpowder, blankets, &c."

This same correspondence also offers assurance from a naval authority in Nassau that intercepting a ship on the high seas, no matter that her cargo was Confederate war materiel, would not happen, provided the ship did not attempt to run the blockade. Such action would be considered illegal. This is further evidence that the Stephen Hart was boarded on the open ocean.

Cheers,

Michael
                        Michael McComas
                        drudge-errant

Comment

Great Stuff Mike. Am going to peruse the OR's for the captures off Texas - they have numerous refs to uniforms and blankets and bolts of uniform cloth.

Did a whole bunch of work on law of the sea over the years in War College, etc. Would have been an insteresting case with the Hart.

Fred Gaede has asked me if anyone is familiar with the "Wilmington Manifests" apparently a collection of blockade runner manifests?
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

Comment

Doug,

The OR's mention multiple siezures off Mexico by the French navy. In some cases, the materiel was confiscated by the Mexican government. Interestingly, at least one of these ships was carrying French army blankets bound for the Confederacy. These ships were laden and sent by a speculator in England who was taking payment in cotton at 150% of the market price, counting on the English mills exhausting their supply of cotton by the time the ships made their round trip. In all, he only managed to deliver something like 4200 Enfield rifles and nothing else and was ruined.
                            Michael McComas
                            drudge-errant

Comment

About white blankets...

"My camp was among some large pines, not far back, & there I laid under a pine, on a nice pair of white blankets I had been allowed to buy out of an importation through the blockade by the state of Geo. for Georgia troops. Then I took my lunch from my pocket & ate it---two thick camp biscuits, each with a slice of fat bacon in it, while I waited for the doctor, Dorsey Cullen, who was chief surgeon of our corps."

Fighting for the Confederacy The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander, Edited by Gary W. Gallagher (The University of North Carolina, 1989) Chapter 19, "Siege of Petersburg" (describing incidents on Wednesday, June 30, 1864) pages 445-446.

Scott Sherlock
                              Glen Arm

Comment

Working...
                              X