• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Carolina blanket

Why did this thread die when I posted.:wink_smil
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Stephen Hart was captured on 29th. December 1862 in latitude 24*12’ north and longitude 82*14’wset, off the southern coast of Florida, about 25 miles from Key West and about 82 miles from Point de Yeacos, Cuba. A claim was made by John Myer Harris of Liverpool, England as her sole owner. Charles N. Dyett was the master of the vessel. A claim was also made to the whole of the cargo by Samuel Isaac, on behalf of himself and Saul Isaac as co-partners of a business in England under the firms name of S. Isaac, Campbell & Co.

Her cargo was loaded partly in London and Erith, with arms, ammunition and clothing.
      Cargo:
      5,740 Enfield Rifles with triangular bayonets
      1,260 Short Enfield Rifles with sabre bayonets
      660 Enfield Carbines with Sabre bayonets
      2,640 British Rifled Muskets with triangular bayonets
      200 British Smoothbore Muskets with triangular bayonets
      320 Brunswick Rifles with Sabre bayonets
      375 Cavalry Sabres
      6,500 Gray blankets
      1,750 White blankets
      4 Blakeley’s 2 ¾ inch bore Rifled Cannon (six pounders)
      200 Cartridge bags for above
      1,000 Shell for above, loaded and capped
      120,000 Cartridges, fixed ammunition for Enfield Rifles
      100,000 Percussion caps
      2,160 Cartridge Boxes
      4,095 Knapsacks
      4,000 Ball bags and belts
      100,000 Brunswick Rifle cartridges
      410,000 Minie Rifle cartridges
      5,000 Cartridge for smoothbore English musket, each consisting of a round ball and two buck shot
      1,540 yards of Gray Army cloth
      11,543 yards of Steel mixed cloth for uniforms
      625 Gross of brass buttons marked “C.S.A.” (90,000 buttons)
      15,432 Pairs of stockings
      2,000 Pairs of brogan shoes
      592 Pairs of Russet shoes, Blucher pattern
      762 Pairs of black leather shoes, Blucher pattern
      2,220 Water-proof covers for mess-tins
      17 cases and 3 bales of trimmings for army uniforms, consisting of linings, cord, braid lace, thread buckram, etc.
      109 yards of scarlet cloth for army uniforms
      7,500 Yards of white twill flannel for lining for army overcoats
      2,250 brown Holland for same as above
      1,040 Gross of buttons for army uniforms (149,760 buttons)
      7,800 Pounds of cannon powder
      Considerable quantity of cartridge paper, cones and other apparatus for small arms, gun slings, medicine, lint, bayonet scabbards, surgeons’ equipments, scissors, thimbles, hooks and eyes, shears, canvas lining, alpaca, and tarpaulins. Total value; $ 238,945.37 (about $1,911,562.90 today)

Reports of Cases in Prize 1861-1865
      [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
      Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Don't sweat it Andrew, that's a fine contribution. The thread is a few years old and the topic has been hashed over more than once. You keep digging up good stuff and the few blessed Tarheels around here will read it.

John, what port was she bound for?
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The Capt. Charles N. Dyett stated "she was bound for Cardenas; and that is discharged at all in Cuba i was to be discharged in Havanna". As there was no bills of lading, or invoices, nothing was able to be concluded.

This case got roled into also concluding the results of two other cases. That of the "Springbok" and the "Gertrude". though Samuel and his partners had became more careful about including a destination, usually a British colony port, the markings (as seen on the McRae Papers I,C. & Co. invoices tied all three cargos together as the numbers ran on in each ship? One lost, al lost.

I have done a lot of digging about another ship the Gladiator, according to The Aberdeen Journal dated January 15th. 1862. "She is recorded as arriving in Augusta, and on February 5th. She had been reported in a Florida port". I have also read a report by F. H. Morse in London that says "My impression is that Bahia Honda, in the Florida Reef, where they can run inside the reef along the coast, is a favorable point for them to run to, as well as to Fernandina,
          Jacksonville, and other ports on the Saint John's River".

So? real port of destination?
          [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
          [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
          Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I have finished reading "The Personal Memoirs of Jonathan Thomas Scharf of the First Maryland Artillery." On pg 8-9 he mentions the 22nd North Carolina Infantry giving the 1st MD Artillery, which was "destitute of blankets," plenty of blankets during the winter of 61-62 at Evansport on the Potomac.

Can anyone tell me what these blankets might have looked like?

Thanks!
            Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
            Southern Division

Comment

Folks,

While this is an old thread it's still a good one. Another gentleman on another thread in this folder had asked about point blankets, etc. I thought I'd post three sets of images of CS blankets for everyone's purusal. The first two are from the SCCRR&M. The first, I believe, is an English import product ID'd to Pvt. Isaac Stenhouse c. 1862. The second has no ID but shows much use and several of those funky lines. The last is the famed NC blanket. For those of you freaking on me posting an MOC image, I do have permission. Enjoy the images.

Regards,

Neill Rose
              PLHA
              Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Rose,
                Could you post a full picture of the first and last blankets?
                Thanks,
                Andrew Turner
                Co.D 27th NCT
                Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

I was reading the regimental history of the 30th Virginia Infantry, by Robert Krick and came upon this passage:

A member of Company D wrote home on October 8, pleading for pants, a coat, and at least three or four shirts. He had plenty of money - having just been paid, but shirts couldn't be gotten for mere money. Someone sent had sent him a pistol, for which he offered perfunctory thanks, but clothes were what he really was wanting. The arrival of 660 English blankets in late October (at $2.75 each) was a bonanza.

The men of the 30th Virginia at the time (October of 1861) were at Camp Holmes around Brooke Station, located in Stafford County close to the Aquia Creek batteries. A few things jump out at me: one, that English import materials were available in the fall of 1861. Second, that the men had to pay for it themselves. Third, they has just been paid, so does this mean that men were receiving funds from the Commutation system at this time?

Cheers,
                  Last edited by Moose; 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM.
                  Joseph Caridi
                  Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Old topic here I know, but Wash Ives of the 4th Florida mentions getting good quality English blankets in October of 63.
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X