Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle labels

Does anyone know of any period wine, whisky or beer bottle labels? I have a good scource of period looking bottles, but I'd like to know about some labels.

sidedrummer@lycos.com

Comment

• Re: bottle labels

Hi Ian,

Today is your lucky day. If you do the following, you will see an interesting image containing a bottle label:

1. Start here: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwphtml/cwphome.html

2. Do a search with these key words: 114th Pennsylvania

3. Select photo #6 [Petersburg, Va. Officers of the 114th Pennsylvania Infantry playing cards in front of tents].

4. Download the high-resolution "tiff" version of this image.

5. Zoom in on the bottle immediately next to the zouave officer holding cards on the left-hand side of the table.

6. This bottle carries a label clearly marked "HADDEN'S OLD TOM COCKTAIL"

Close study of this label may provide sufficient details to make a fairly close reproduction.

Check it out!

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Greetings,

On a somewhat related note, this classic bartending guide was first published in 1862:

HOW TO MIX DRINKS

or

THE BON VIVANT'S COMPANION

Containing Clear and Reliable Directions for Mixing all the Beverages Used in the United States, Together with the Most Popular British, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish Recipes, Embracing Punches, Juleps, Cobblers, etc., etc., etc., in Endless Variety.

By JERRY THOMAS

Formerly Principal Bartender at the Metropolitan Hotel, New York, and the Planters' House, St. Louis.

TO WHICH IS APPENDED A MANUAL FOR THE MANUFACTURE

of

CORDIALS, LIQUORS, FANCY SYRUPS, ETC., ETC.,

After the Most Approved Methods Now Used in the Distillation of Liquors and Beverages, Designed for the Special Use of Manufacturers and Dealers in Wines and Spirits, Grocers, Tavern Keepers and Private Families, the Same Being Adapted to the Trade of the United States and Canada.

ILLUSTRATED WITH DESCRIPTIVE ENGRAVINGS

The Whole Containing

OVER 600 Valuable RECIPES.

By CHRISTIAN SCHULTZ,

Professor of Chemistry, Apothecary and Manufacturer of Wines, Liquors, Cordials, etc., etc,. from Berne, Switzerland.

[Published in New York by Dick & Fitzgerald, 1862]

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Bob Sullivan makes a good period whisky label.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Does anyone know a any places that make a good period bottle? :sarcastic

Jason Krausz
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            36th ILL "B"
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

The Regimental Quartermaster has a new section for campaigners and I think I saw some in there. Can't really remember what style.

Originally posted by Dbackfed
              Does anyone know a any places that make a good period bottle? :sarcastic

Jason Krausz
              Prodigal Sons Mess
              36th ILL "B"
              Andrew Donovan
              Livonia, MI
              5th Texas Co. E
              Medich Battalion
              Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Does anyone know a any places that make a good period bottle?
                Dog River Glassworks does some of the most exact period bottle reproductions I've seen. Check out:
                Michael Semann
                AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

I cannot seem to get a hold of the large tiff pic, can anyone zoom in on it and post a zoom here? where's that guy that has been doing that with musket and apple pics? :D

Comment

\Thank You Thank You

I have been looking for period medical bottles.

Brian Schwatka
                    Out of the loop mess.
                    Brian Schwatka
                    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
                    "Buffsticks"

Comment

No problem Brian. I know certain items like these can be a real pain to find sometimes. Good luck.
                      Michael Semann
                      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Not as clear as I would have liked but here is a close up of the bottle in question.

Next - the wall tent in the same photo has buttons in front (and it
                        appears on the ridge).

To attach a fly??
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by straggler; 02-15-2004, 02:59 PM.
                        John S. Harmon
                        Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Greetings,

Yep, that's the bottle I mentioned. I suspect any concoction with the name of "Old Tom" must have been pretty potent, to say the least.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The Sullivan Press has a variety of bottle labels to purchase.

A small selection:

Comment

• Soft Bread Recipe

Gents,

I'm looking for an accurate period soft bread recipe. Also was there a regulation dimension for each loaf.

Thanks
                              Ryan McIntyre
                              124th New York State Volunteers
                              Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                              Joseph H. Johnston
                              March 16th 1863
                              Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                              Henry M Howell
                              March 8 1863
                              In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

• Re: Soft Bread Recipe

Here are some recipes from Beecher's Domestic Receipt Book, 1850:

http://tinyurl.com/3d6sq (it continues on the next page, followed by one for homemade yeast)

Those two are typical of the two main variations I've seen in period homemade yeast bread--either using weaker homemade yeast, making a sponge and letting it rise a long time, or brewer's yeast and adding all the flour, skipping the sponge step.

There's another one in the same book for baker's bread which might reflect commercial bakers' practice, but I haven't researched commercial bakeries to know.

In images and recipe quantities, many loaves appear to be about the same size as typical modern bread pans. But I'm sure there were many variations, and perhaps also military contract or other specifications for commercial loaf sizes, but I can't help with that part. :(

Hank Trent
                                hanktrent@voyager.net
                                Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                                X