Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dessicated Vegetables

Wish I had a cleaner copy but yes, you described the picture well.

According to Charles, the drawing was first published in 1876, as plate 20, in "Life Studies of the Great Army."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM. Reason: Adding source information
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

• Re: Pickled Potatoes

From the 1858 Scientific American

For every pint of spiced vinegar it is in-
      tended to make, take one ounce of black pep-
      per, half an ounce of salt, half an ounce of
      ginger, a quarter of an ounce of allspice, and
      if desired to be hot, add also a quarter of a
      drachm of Cayenne, or a few capsicums.
      Bruise the whole of these materials in a mor-
      tar, and put them into a jar, or wide-mouthed
      green glass bottle, tied over with a bladder.
      Place this in a saucepan of water, and keep it
      hot for three or four days, shaking it now and
      then. If the maker has an enamel saucepan,
      this operation can be facilinted by simmering
      the ingredients together. Spiced vinegar is
      used hot for walnuts and cold for cabbage.

Shawnra Greene

Comment

Like a small child, I could not wait for Christmas, and had to try one of the slices of pickled potatoes this evening. In my humble opinion, this dish will not achieve the popularity of pie anytime soon.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Spiced vinegar in the UK is used for pickling onions, gurkins, eggs, cabbage, anything really and does a good job. I am sure I have seen, both here and in Georgia, pickling spices in a packet and it does add flavour. If there are not a farmers market that would sell some UK produce. Vinegar was also issued in lieu of vegtables as part of a ration to fight off scurvy. Added to cabbage and greens makes a saurkrauat type of dish. I'd suggest frying the potatoes off, either diced or sliced, along with cabbage or greens, cornbeef and not bad eating
          [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
          [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
          Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Charles,

Now I am a little ashamed for being so quick to criticize the Sanitary Commission at Memphis. We'll put some young hands to work this morning at a local school, let the potatoes sit a week or so and then give them a taste test 1) straight from the crock and 2) with the cabbage and corned beef.
            [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Patricia A. Lynch
            [URL="http://www.wssas.org"]West Side Soldiers Aid Society, Inc.[/URL]
            Hales Corners, Wisconsin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Pickled cabbage and in particular pickled red cabbage, or beetroot even, are very tasty. Not knowing a lot about this (apart from the eating thereof) I imagine it was, and still is in some quarters, a way of preserving items from one season to the next. Possibley an older reciept for pickled potatoes is just that. I can imagine pickled new potatoes being used at Christamas for example.
              To make a red cabbage, in particular for Czech food, you use vinegar to soak it and cook it in.
              I'd be grateful to know what the young tastebuds tell us?
              [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
              [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
              Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

• Re: Proper soldiers skillet "spider" etc.

Jay and others,

I know this info was initially posted back in '04, but Frank Ellis is currently out of the business and is not making skillets any longer.
                Chris Utley
                South Union Mills
                [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
                [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

• Re: Proper soldiers skillet "spider" etc.

Jay's message was deleted due to the advertising content in the sig block. While this is acceptable on other fora, it is not acceptable here.

Chris, thanks for informing us about the demise of F. Ellis' skillet business. He had a great number of satisfied customers if his word-of-mouth advertising was an indication of quality and service.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

• Re: Dessicated Vegetables

thanks for the info
                    Tyler Gibson
                    The Independent Rifles

Comment

• Dessicated Vegetables

Leander Stillwell of Co. D, 61st Illinois Infantry, in his book The Story of a Common Soldier, wrote with a wry sense of humor regarding Federal issue dried vegetables.

"There were a few occasions when an article of diet was issued called "desiccated potatoes." For "desiccated" the boys promptly substituted "desecrated," and "desecrated potatoes" was its name among the rank and file from start to finish. It consisted of Irish potatoes cut up fine and thoroughly dried. In appearance it much resembled the modern preparation called "grape nuts." We would mix it in water, grease, and salt and make it up into little cakes, which we would fry, and they were first rate. There was a while when we were at Boliver, Tennessee, that some stuff called "compressed vegetables" was issued to us, which the boys, almost unanimously, considered an awful fraud. It was composed of all sorts of vegetables, pressed into small bales, in a solid mass, and as dry as threshed straw. The conglomeration contained turnip-tops, cabbage leaves, string-beans (pod and all), onion blades, and possibly some of every other kind of a vegetable that ever grew in a garden. It came in small boxes, about the size of the Chinese tea-boxes that were frequently seen in this country about fifty years ago. In the process of cooking, it would swell up prodigiously,--a great deal more so than rice. The Germans in the regiment would make big dishes of soup out of this "baled hay", as we called it, and they liked it, but the native Americans, after one trial, wouldn't touch it. I think about the last box of it that was issued to our company was pitched into a ditch in the rear of the camp, and it soon got thoroughly soaked and loomed up about as big as a fair-sized hay-cock. "Split-peas" were issued to us, more or less, during all the time we were in the service. My understanding was that they were ordinary garden peas. They were split in two, dried, and about as hard as gravel. But they yielded to cooking, made excellent food, and we were all fond of them. In our opinion, when properly cooked, they were almost as good as Yankee beans."
                      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                      &
                      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

• Throwing Fish

Try hard not to laugh while reading this little missive from the ORs:

HDQRS. SECOND BRIG., THIRD DIVISION, SECOND CORPS,
                        November 21, 1864.
                        Capt. J. P. FINKELMEIER,

Assistant Adjutant-General, Third Division, Second Corps:

CAPTAIN: In reply to your communication received last evening I have the honor to state that on the 25th ultimo, the day before the last movement to the left, there was issued to the troops of this command one day's ration of codfish. It was nearly all thrown away by the men; I saw one brigade amusing themselves by throwing it at each other. I made inquiries in regard to it, and was informed by my officer that the men had no means of cooking it while on the march, and to eat it raw would make an excuse for straggling by constantly falling out for water, and for this reason the men threw it away rather than carry it along, not knowing when they would have an opportunity to cook it. I consider it, as a ration, lost to the men to issue it at such a time. The cause of the present deficiency in rations is partially owing to that issue. I would, therefore, respectfully recommend that no more salt fish be issued to this brigade while on the march or anticipating a march.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

B. R. PIERCE,
                        Brigadier-General of Volunteers.
                        Source: O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLII/3 [S# 89]
                        UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA, FROM OCTOBER 1, 1864, TO DECEMBER 31, 1864.(*)--# 27
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

• Re: Throwing Fish

Mornin Ladies, oh excuse me General Pirece!:sarcastic
                          Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott,

That was funny!

The confederates could have used fish as a secret weapon, but the old sticks in the mud didn't see fit to give it a try on a widespread basis:

MARIETTA, GA., October 24, 1863.

THE COMMISSIONERS OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES,

Sitting at Augusta:

Called together as you are by the Secretary of War to aid by your actions and counsels the Subsistence Department, I hope good results may follow your deliberations. I have implicit confidence that our independence will be won by the valor of our troops, but not without much effort and privation. If there be a question about which there is danger, it is the supply of meat for the Army. While we held Middle and East Tennessee there was no danger. At present they are in the possession of the enemy, and it is now uncertain what supply of meat, if any, will be drawn from that quarter. This may interfere materially with your prices, and hence the propriety of embracing all our resources in this terrific conflict. We have men, arms, ammunition, bread, and clothes, and a supply of meat must be had, as we are resolved not to be subjugated. The infamous enemy who invades our country threatens to starve us into submission. God said: "Let the waters bring forth abundantly," and it was done. He gave to man dominion over the fish of the sea. In our rivers, lakes, and bays there is an inexhaustible supply of fish, which in our abundance we have never resorted to. It is the part of wisdom now to look to this providential supply placed beyond the reach and control of the enemy. If driven to the necessity the Army can be fed from the waters. In political economy supply and demand determine prices. The plan to diminish the price of meat for the Army is to increase the supply. As agents for the Government this becomes a legitimate question for your body. How is this to be done? The stock regions are mainly in the hands of the enemy, and in the cotton States we have not time to grow them now to meet what may become an important emergency; that is, a scant supply of meat for the Army. The most certain and ready resource, then, is to assume dominion over the fish of the sea. How is this to be done? I make the following suggestions:

First. By orders from the proper military department detail 10,000 men from the several armies, selected for their fitness for this service, such as disabled soldiers, new conscripts, and men over forty-five (if found necessary), who shall be placed under proper officers at the best fisheries to be found in the Confederacy.

Second. They are detailed as a permanent force to furnish an additional supply of meat for the Army from the waters, by all the appliances used for such purposes, to wit, traps, seines, floats and hooks, trot-lines, nets, spears, gigs, hooks, &c.

Third. The Government to furnish a supply of salt and the fish as caught to be scaled, dressed, and salted. This service can be rendered by women, either white or black, or both.

Fourth. A detail of rough carpenters should be made to make boxes and barrels, and quartermasters to superintend the transportation to depots, &c.

Fifth. Officers in attendance should make reports weekly to higher authorities.

The above is a sufficient outline of the plan. The object is to add to the supply of meat for the Army, thereby enabling you to control the price thereof. An experiment may show that it is economy in the Government thus to employ force enough to furnish half the meat required by the Army. It is the legitimate mode of effecting the price of what is to be bought. If this force should average ten pounds each per day it would give 100,000 pounds per day, which would be rations for an army of 200,000 men. We know that men can live on fish. We know that the supply in the rivers is abundant. We know that industry and system will get them out of the waters. It is too uncertain in the hands of individuals, hence the necessity of organizing a regular force to work at this alone by the Government. They are reliable meat growers. It develops one of the hidden resources of the Confederacy at a time when it is needed. The soldiers of the Army may become alarmed about a meat supply, as we are cut off from Tennessee and Kentucky. This should be relieved as soon as possible. Establish the fact that we have a supply of meat in the waters and our independence is won. We can't fail on any other question; we must not fail on this. Bonaparte passed the Alps when the world thought it was impossible. The supply is in the waters beyond doubt, large enough to feed the whole population of the Confederate States, and will we sit down and say we can't get out enough to feed 200,000 men? At many of the fisheries a large quantity of oil could be made--much needed now by the Army. The plan will not interfere with the field force, and its successful execution is recommended by the highest considerations. To insure success, however, I think that if the Secretary of War will give the orders and authority to General Gideon J. Pillow that he will put the whole plan into operation sooner than any man in the Confederate States. He is practical and of untiring energy and industry. He knows how such things can be done. He can direct matters in the Conscript Bureau and attend to this meat supply also. If these views meet the approval of the commissioners I hope they will in their official capacity urge its immediate adoption upon the Secretary of War. I think we have no time to lose.

All of which is respectfully submitted.
                            S. R. COCKRILL,
                            Nashville, Tenn.
                            The comments from Northrop were less than enthusiastic. Perhaps he did not like fish.

BUREAU OF SUBSISTENCE,

November 10, 1863.

Respectfully returned to the Secretary of War.

The writer says correctly that our people have not paid attention to fisheries in the lakes and rivers of the interior, of which the products would scarcely support the hands employed. The shad fisheries on the tide waters of the rivers have been attended to, and the supply has of late years been steadily diminishing because the fish caught were on their way up to spawn. The results of this business have not exceeded local consumption. It was conducted by plantation negroes and by Yankees. The writer has not shown from Scripture that the promised dominion over the waters and the fishes therein will confer on the 10,000 Confederate invalids and exempts the skill to fabricate all the appliances necessary to catch the fish or the judgment, perseverance, and hardihood requisite to use them successfully, even if the vast amount of cord needed was obtainable. Nor has it been shown that in the absence of these facilities and endowments the promised dominion will cause in the fish a due avidity to be caught, even if the season of the year will admit the present application of the plan. It must also be shown that the promised dominion over the waters will be admitted by Mr. Lincoln in favor of the Confederates, and induce him to prohibit hereafter the boat expeditions which have been used with great activity heretofore to break up the fisheries in the waters of Virginia and North Carolina. This whole subject has long ago been carefully considered, and but little fish has been secured during the past two seasons. The impossibility of getting seines or the cord to make them has restricted our efforts and they have failed. Professor Richardson, of Marietta, made long communications on the subject, and the reports of Major White, of Florida, thereon are conclusive. Landsmen often fail in their theories on marine matters from want of familiarity with little details which the experience of seamen alone furnishes. If Gen. G. J. Pillow can realize the results indicated this Bureau will be greatly benefited directly.

L. B. NORTHROP,
                            Commissary-General of Subsistence.
                            One can only imagine what the shad fisheries must have been like prior to the construction of so many dams ostensibly for water power. In recent years, a good number of those dams have been razed to permit fish migration for spawning.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Awesome Charles!
                              Ken Cornett
                              MESS NO.1
                              Founding Member
                              OHIO
                              Mason Lodge #678, PM
                              Need Rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Cornett View Post
                                Awesome Charles!
                                Ken,

Don't encourage me. ;)

For the "north of the Ohio" set, here's another fishy reference:

CINCINNATI, August 27, 1864.

Col. A. E. SHIRAS,
                                Assistant Commissary. General of Subsistence:

Letters of the 24th received. Beckwith reports 13th instant that he feeds daily south of the Ohio 300,000 individuals. One-half of these are probably citizens and not entitled to rations. I fear our troops must suffer and possibly be obliged to fall back if such persons are fed. Humanity might require that fresh beef and flour in limited amount be given, but no other part of the ration. The West is being rapidly exhausted of salt meats. They are very scarce, and mostly held out of market. General Eaton has been here. He ordered 5,000 barrels of pork here from New York. He also directed that corned beef twice per week and salt fish once per week be issued to troops north of the Ohio. If fresh beef is issued four times per week no pork or bacon would be used. General Eaton is now, I believe, in Saint Louis. After his arrival there he goes to Louisville. He as well as all Western commissaries is aware of the great emergency, but something should be done at once to cut off full supplies to persons not entitled to them, otherwise we will soon have nothing for the fighting troops. I will meet General Eaton again in Louisville. If Beckwith can come up the General will probably have him come also to Louisville.

C. L. KILBURN,
                                [39.] Colonel and Assistant Commissary-General of Subsistence.
                                Source: O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME LII/1 [S# 109]
                                Union Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Southwestern Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, West Florida, And Northern Georgia, From January 1, 1861, To June 30, 1865.--#20

What's a few fish between comrades? :)
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X