Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Veteran's View on Coffee

Charles read some quotes of that siad issue. It really sounded interesting. I should have taken advantage of a 40 hr. car to read the article.

Joseph Caridi
    CR/POC'R Boy's Mess
    Joseph Caridi
    Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

• Re: A Veteran's View on Coffee

Joe, as many times as I'd asked our hobby research community for a compensated copy of that article, I'm considering having it bronzed, matted, and framed. Little did I know The Quiet Man of Rochester would come through like that. Now, I have no excuse to procrastinate completing that danged ol' rations monograph. It's funny that same issue had Bailey's Red River Expedition dam article in it. Timely stuff to read on the way out to BGR, IMHO.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• Hardtack and Ammo Box Stencils

I am making some hardtack and ammo boxes for our living history program at Vick NMP. Does anyone know where I can find a set of hardtack box stencils? I have searched the forums and google, and have found several sets of plans for the boxes, but no stencils.

Thanks,
        [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
        [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

• Re: Hardtack and Ammo Box Stencils

David,

I recall stencils being talked about recently, so you may wish to try doing a search in the forum for "stencils" . . . for what it's worth, last I checked, there weren't any concrete leads on where to find them . . . only the typical: Search Google, or Look on Ebay . . . I've personally done both, and haven't found anything that satisfies me.

Good luck, and if you do find something, please be sure to pass the information on. Myself and others will appreciate it.
          Bill Kane
          Tar Heel Mess
          [url]http://www.tarheelmess.org[/url]

Comment

try sullivan press.
            mike boyd

Comment

I made my own. I wish I had a pic of one of my boxes- I'd post it.
              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
              WIG/GVB
              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Dixie Leather works has them and I made mine simply from their picture on their web site.
                also try this site http://charliesboatworks.home.comcas...ndStencils.htm
                Last edited by maineman; 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM.
                Pvt. S.D. Henry
                Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
                "Bath City Greys"

Comment

I got some 2" and 1" stencils at Dixieline Lumber

Comment

Also, you can check Ebay. Sometimes they have auctions for brass, connectable letters in various sizes. I got a set for 35.00 a few months back.
                    William Lee Vanderburg
                    26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
                    Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

A few years ago one of my comrades made cracker boxes for our group and worked a long time to make some good, accurate repro stencils. Drop me an e-mail (please, not PM) and I can put you in touch with him.

Comment

You can also find stencil machines thru Ebay. They come in various sizes of stencil sizes. These machines can make a stencil as long as you wish and if memory serves me right they can be as deep as 4 or 5 lines. I think they are called Dictograph stencil machines.

Cris Westphal
                        1st Mich.
                        Cris L. Westphal
                        1st. Mich. Vol.
                        2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
                        A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

googled the machines and we are talking over $1,000 :(

Comment

• Re: And speaking of coffee

Originally posted by Duke20thSC View Post
                            How about some coffee substitutes? Southern troops should not be using real coffee very often. Instead, chickory, sweet potatoes, acorns, roasted corn, peanuts, roasted wheat or rye, and a multitude of other substitutes should abound at events. If we're trying to experience the realities of the campaign, this should be the norm. At the Hodge March in 2000, Co. K, 35th NC issued wheat to be toasted and canteens filled with honey to sweeten the hot beverage serving as a coffee substitute. These items are all too seldom used, though.
                            We've roasted period variety okra seed and boiled them. It comes close, just a little more bitter.
                            Rick Bailey
                            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

• Re: And speaking of coffee

Rick,

That reminds me we probably need to have a conversation about reproducing a certain original shoe polish tin and tinned match safe of the cylinder variety at some point. Since these are both in public collections, perhaps access is not too terribly difficult to manage.

Okra....boy howdy do I ever miss an ample and regular supply of fresh okra.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• re: and speaking of coffee

sirs:

ah, how apropos that my first post should be about one of my favorite pastimes, roasting green coffee.

some tips for the fireside roaster:
                                • use a well-seasoned, cast iron skillet;
                                • keep the beans moving by constantly shaking the skillet or stirring the beans;
                                • first crack sounds like popcorn. this is a rather light roast. i recommend continuing to the second crack, which sounds like snapping fingers. this is the most common u.s. roast, aka full-city roast. if you prefer espresso roast, roast through the second crack, that is, until the second crack ends;
                                • the beans continue to roast internally after you remove them from the heat source. stop active roasting when the beans are slightly lighter than the desired roast stage. so, if you want to roast to full-city, remove the beans from the heat source just as you hear the first snap on the second crack;
                                • immediately lay the beans out on a cloth and fan them vigorously, or pour them from one cup to another constantly until they are cool enough to touch. this indicates they are under 90 degrees F, so you can stop the cooling process. another indicator is they will have stopped smoking;
                                • fresh-roasted beans may be ground and brewed right after roasting, but it is recommended that you wait at least four hours and, optimally 24/36 hours before milling and brewing them. this is when they are at their best;
                                • store your fresh-roasted beans in a glass mason-type jar, if possible, loosely capped. the beans will vent co2 for several hours. you do not want them to blow up! after about 24 hours, you can firmly close the lid;
                                • freshly roasted coffee beans are good from one to two weeks depending upon how much air they are exposed to; the more air, the quicker they will stale.
                                • grind immediately before brewing, never more than ten minutes in advance.
                                i know this is a somewhat unconventional beginning, but i have always believed it is best to start with what one knows well. if you have further questions, please post them or pm me. i will be happy to assist you if i can.

regards,
                                roi rex
                                [FONT=Book Antiqua]roi rex
                                [/FONT][I][FONT=Book Antiqua]a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X