Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rations

Gentlemen,
    I have acquired the recipe for the dreaded "axle grease' and am attempting to make some for a l/h in Florence, SC this weekend. I am wondering what to put it in before putting in the haversack. I considered doing a thorough wash job on a cap tin and using it. Anything I can put my hands on that is period correct would probably have a cork in it and way too small of an opening.
    Your suggestions are most appreciated!
    I am,
    Tommy Rollings
    8th. SCVI
    Palmetto Battalion

Re: Proper Container for Essence of Coffee

Both Village Tinsmith and Jarnigan have carried a correct container at various times---you need the item this weekend though, so your best bet really is a well washed cap tin, then acquire something more appropriate at a later date.

On one occassion, I managed to make it solid enough to risk rolling it up in balls and using a twist of brown paper to contain it. Nothing like coffee all over everything in your haversack to keep you alert though.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Depending on the consistency of the goo when you're finished, I found that using a tin inserted in a poke sack, and then bundle up the sack nice and tight before going into the haversack will save you from having sticky knuckles later... :D

Dave Gager

Mr. Gager: AC FORUM rules prohibit the use of cartoons, etc. for avatars. Please change yours to a period style image of yourself, or a modern image of yourself. Consider this your 1st Warning. Curt-Heinrich Schmidt, Moderator
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 12-11-2003, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I do not have facts on hand hoping others may. However, I have read references to this before. This dreaded "Axle Grease" was packed in quantities far greater than a personal tin. The Essence of Coffee was usually packed in 5# cans, sometimes as large as 25# cans. This was usually prepared at company level quantities usuing 5#'s at a time.

I guess it could have been possible for you to get a small can, for personal consumption, from your local regimental sutler.

Personally, I would grab some green coffee beans and roast'em up in a mess kettle or pan.

Anyone with good concrete research on this?
        [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Greetings,

Another possibility might be John Peterson at Otter Creek Tinware:

I know "Victor Trading Company" also sells 19th century-style cans but, to my knowledge, these are "decorative only":

Victor Trading Co. & Manufacturing Works has dedicated themselves to keeping old-world craftsmanship and techniques alive.  Using equipment and skills dating back to the 19th century, they manufacture history.  From the finest handmade brooms, tinware and letterpress printing, to candles, handcrafted glass, jewelry, antiques and more.

John Peterson and I have discussed reproducing "Arthur's Patent Self-Sealing Can," which was definitely available (at least in the Philadelphia area) from circa 1853 onward. I not only found patent information for this item but also a number of interesting articles and illustrations dealing with it in 1850's numbers of "Arthur's Home Magazine." John is apparently working on a prototype right now so we'll see what happens. This would be just the ticket for you--a resealable, as well as reusable, can.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Quote from a very good article by Art Ayotte; link shown below.

"Extract of Coffee was a combination of concentrated coffee; milk and sugar, all vacuum distilled down to a thick paste. It came packed in several size containers from five gallon tins down to one quart cans. One gallon was supposed to make one day's ration of coffee for one hundred men."

Fugawee Corp was started officially in 1986 By Art and Nancy Ayotte, to bring historically accurate footwear to Re-enactors. Nancy being a Jeweler by trade, started the collection of buttons and began making Medallions.

I don't know how much a quart of essence weighs (5 lbs.?), but it looks like Mark Mason has a good point. Individuals may not have been issued small containers of essence for personal use.
            Jack Booda

Comment

Hi,

Another perfectly plausible scenario is that essence of coffee was, at times, available through friendly neighborhood sutlers or could be acquired if one was passing through reasonably well-stocked towns. If so, then, depending on one's situation, having a small can in their possession would be perfectly okay.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

period frying pan

pards:
                well me and a pard of mine have been wondering where exactly can me and him buy a period frying pan , we are going to campaign next year and have been wondering , thanks.
                Very Respectfully,
                Robert Young

Comment

Re: period frying pan

Oh, if the data from the old forums was back!! There was an informative thread on this very subject.

In a nut: Frank Ellis does a very fine job. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a stamped frying pan from Sutlerz Row vendor of your choice and find a blacksmith to snip off the handle and add a correct one on for you.

Anyone have Mr. Ellis' contact info handy?
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Frank Ellis

Rt. 1, Box 341

Greenbriar, TN 37073

615-643-4842

Great pans, great service, good turn around time.
                    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Frank is the only way to go. His work is top notch. :D
                      Aka
                      Wm Green :D
                      Illegitimi non carborundum
                      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Pards:
                        what exactly do the period handles look like , is there a web site that shows a period correct handle? thanks .

I also heard some where that canteen halves can be used and where common but I think that might be more of a confederate thing, and not a union.

Rob
                        Very Respectfully,
                        Robert Young

Comment

Rob,

Frank doesn't have a website, but I own two of his pans and they are great. I don't know of anyone who doesn't think so.

You can use a canteen half. I don't think it is a Confederate/Union issue.....
                          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Rob,

Look for websites dealing in antiques, don't search for Civil War but for the time period of 1840-1860 when looking for information. You can also look in your local library for books dealing with antique identification. While the internet is a great tool, printed material is not dead.
                            Jim Kindred

Comment

If it is of any assistance, I can attempt to post a picture of Mr. Ellis' work
                              later today.
                              John S. Harmon
                              Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Working...
                              X