Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who makes the best Hardtack crates?

Doug,
    I've bought quite a number of Bent Cracker's and while they never get as hard as MBC's, I've left the Bent Crackers out of their packaging and they became a bit less fragile than when fresh. The last set was dumped into a croaker sack and issued to 80 or men, midway on a march from Harper's Ferry to Sharpsburg in '02 - most survived in "decent" shape.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
    Palmetto Living History Association
    [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
    October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Re: Who makes the best Hardtack crates?

Works for me Dave!! I still have some MBC's from about 4 years ago...when banged together they sound just like two pieces of masonry. School kids get a kick out of that :D

Bent it is!
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

preparing rations

All,
        I'm sure this topic was covered on the old site, but since those threads are all gone now, I'm asking again.
        I'm attending an event next weekend that will have a ration issue. My question is what's the best way to prepare fresh (uncured) pork for the weekend. As I understand it, the pork will be issued in a "big hunk" to a four man mess.
        I can cook it with no problem, but I've never prepared anything that I know will have to keep safely for a couple days with no refigeration. The temps here range from a low in the mid 20's to up around the mid 50's for a high.
        Thanks everyone!
        Tommy Rollings
        8th SCVI
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Re: preparing rations

Since I believe I'm still supposed to help with the issue of said rations, I'll help you out but not dropping any of said hog on your plate!! :D Seriously, you can boil it with some of the forage that will be available and you should be fine - evil laugh!! :D
          [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
          Palmetto Living History Association
          [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
          October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Re: Whiskey Rations

Originally posted by GWilson
            How often were whiskey rations issued? How much would an individual recieve and how strong would it be? Also, where flasks commonly used or are they are modern type item. Thanks
            Here's what the Confederate reagulations say, at least:

"1149. The following issues and substitutions may be made: When, from excessive fatigue or exposure, the commanding officer may deem it necessary, he may direct the issue of whiskey to the enlisted men of his command, not to exceed a gill per man for each day. Tea may be issued in lieu of coffee, at the rate of one and a half pounds per one hundred rations. Two "issues" per week of "desiccated vegetables," may be made in lieu of "beans" or "rice." Potatoes and onions, when issued, will always be in lieu of rice or beans. Potatoes at the rate of a pound per ration; onions at the rate of three pecks per hundred rations. A daily ration of fresh vegetables will be furnished to all the troops whenever the same can be provided at reasonable cost and charges to the government. Chaplains in the army are allowed the same rations as privates, to be issued or commuted to them as they may desire. If commuted, twenty-five cents per ration while in the field, and sixty cents per ration while stationed in a city may be allowed them. Four women will be allowed to each company as washer-women, also four cooks, and will receive one ration per day each."
            Tom Ezell

Comment

Re: Whiskey Rations

From the Federal Subsitance regulations:

"1205. Extra issues will be allowed as follows, viz.:
              ADAMANTINE CANDLES. etc
              SALT. etc.
              WHISKY. One gill per man per dialy, in cases of excessive fatigue or severe exposure. The number of men issued to will be stated on each return for extra issues, and so entered on the Abstract. (Form 4.)..."

How often did this happen? I haven't seen many accounts or diary entries suggesting that this was a regular occurance.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Bacon and Sausage

I've considered suplimenting my rations with either sausage or bacon. Does anyone have any comment or suggestions on these subjects? What about a personal sized frying pan or skillet? Other than just sticking a stick through a sausage would a frying pan be a correct way of soldierly cooking? Does anyone have a bacon and sausage supplier?

Mike, this is your second warning that you must sign all of your posts with your FULL NAME. Please comply or run the risk of loosing your priviledges here - Mike Chapman
                Last edited by dusty27; 01-27-2004, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Re: Bacon and Sausage

You might want to check on a frying pan sold by the jerseyskilletlicker. Since most people on this forum usually reenact campaign style, a canteen half is a very popular item. It is virtually weightless and can be carried in your haversack with your food. I have used the same one for 2 years and it works great. They usually cost less than $10 and is a very good and historically correct item for both sides.
                  The Bacon and sausage question I'll leave to someone else as I usually get my meat rations from the QM at the event I'm attending.
                  hope this helps,
                  ewtaylor
                  bluegrass rifles
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Frank Ellis Pans

Frank Ellis
                    Rt. 1, Box 341
                    Greenbriar, TN 37073
                    615-643-4842

Frank's skillets are very good and period accurate. He has a personal size available.

As to bacon vs. sausage, I recommend slab bacon from Scotts Hams www.scotthams.com (#55) This meat needs no refrigeration and comes close to the meat the soldiers would have received on occasion.

Hope this helps
                    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

My pard Wayne makes a good point. Canteen halves are great for campaigners. They are cheap and 100% correct. If you are looking for frying pans, www.skilletlicker.com is a good place. Also, I'm told that Frank Ellis makes great ones.

Frank Ellis
                      Rt. 1, Box 341Greenbriar, TN 37073
                      615-643-4842

The disadvnatage of the frying pan being you would have to carry it in a knapsack and I know some don't like the discomfort. But, if you or a pard carry a pack, that works out.

As far as bacon and sausage, to me it would seem that those were foraged items or items gathered for a long encampment, much like the feds at Pittsburg Landing. Your best bet is to go with salt pork as that is what was issued. There are times when foraged items are proper, but that depends on the scenario. If you are attending an event where rations are not issued, then it saves time and effort to prepare meats prior to leaving for the event. We all know grunts carried their 3-5 days rations with them, so preapring them when issued would help prevent spoil, and for you, you've got cooked pork ready for munching that weekend.
                      Last edited by ; 01-27-2004, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The only thing I would carry in my haversack is salt pork or side meat. Here in the valley it is easy to get at any country store. I agree that the canteen half is the most historically accurate. I most definetly would not carry regular bacon or sausage to an event, I have seen someone pull out of his haversack bacon in plastic wrap! The shame! Stick to the basics! Pvt.Dan Morgan, 10th VA

Comment

I agree with EWTaylor. Stick with the canteen half. Less is better. Supplementing your rations with sausage or bacon? Mostly my rations consist of one hunk of slab bacon, some corn meal or a tater for the weekend. As I said before less is better.

Dave Foytlin
                          Full Moon Mess
                          Dave Foytlin

"Then call us Rebels,if you will. We glory in the name,for bending under unjust laws,and swearing faith to an unjust cause, We count as greater shame."
                          Richmond Daily Dispatch,
                          May 12,1862

Comment

On a second thought about a supplier of bacon or sausage. If you happen to have a Farmers Market near you. That is the best place to look. At the Raleigh NC Farmers Market you can pretty much buy any part of the hog you want.

Dave Foytlin
                            Full Moon Mess
                            Dave Foytlin

"Then call us Rebels,if you will. We glory in the name,for bending under unjust laws,and swearing faith to an unjust cause, We count as greater shame."
                            Richmond Daily Dispatch,
                            May 12,1862

Comment

Mike-On the matter of cooking utensils- both small sheet steel frying pans and canteen halfs are 'authentic'.Both have advantages and disadvantages. The question to ask is which would you be willing to carry 12 miles a day. Is the utility worth the extra weight to you.

On the matter of meat- Sausages are period appropriate, usually the hard varities but 'loose meat' was not unknown- two citations on the subject

In "Some of the boys' the C.W. letters of Issac Jackson-in a letter to his father from Natches, Mississippi- requested his father send him
                              2 qt cans of butter, 2 of mollasses, 1 of tomatoes and 1 can of sausage meat.

from "From Antietum to Fort Fisher", the C.W. Letters of Edward K. Wightman(9th NY/3rdNY)-in a letter written from Gates Mill, Va. he discussed the contents of a proposed box from home- "Then for eatables you may send cheese, Germanbread(schwarzbrod), German Sausages(the big fellows that are eaten in slices), solid cake or gingerbread of a kind that will keep, cayenne pepper, any sort of sweetmeats that go well with crackers(in short broad-mouthed bottles or tumblers), dough-nuts...."

Many sutler inventories also list bologna sausages as an item.

Check your local store, many will carry 'country bacon' in vacumn packed wrapping. Don't forget that frequently they were issued or procred fresh meat. Boil beef or pork at home before you leave and it will keep easily over the average event. Just remember to reheat it enough to kill any stray bacteria.

From "This Wilderness of War" the C.W. letters of George W. Squier
                              Letter dated Dec. 4, 1862, entry dated Dec. 5, 1862. The 44th Ind was on pickett duty at the time
                              "...Lieut. Wayne came to camp to day and brought 10 loaves of bread. fortunatly we had just drawn beef, so we had quite a feest(sic)- soft bread and steak. Our usual fare is hard bread, "sow belly" and coffee..."

Letter dated Dec. 8, 1862 from Nashville.
                              "Not long since, Gen. Debility(alias Van Cleve) was riding along(this he was telling Crittenden), came up on the 13th Ohio, and saw them dressing a hog as they was marching. He came up top the 44th, saw them skin, dress, cut up and put in their haversacks a sheep without losing a step."

Letter dated Jan.5, 1863 discussing his units approach to Murfreesboro on Dec. 26, 1862
                              "About o'clock I heard a solitary cock, more wakeful than his brothers, give one loud, long, but unfortunate crow.Now there was little sleepfor any of the boys. From that time until day light all hands were busily engaged in catching, picking,roasting without salt, and eating.... Chickens, ducks
                              & turkeys, with an occasional fine mutton, all nicely dressed, hung suspended from almost every tree, while beneath them was feathers to the right of us, feathers to the left of us, feathers in front of us, feathers in rear of us."
                              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Re: Frank Ellis Pans

Geez Dusty, you are starting to sound knowledgeable on the subject of cooking! ;) Now, if we can only teach you how to actually cook the food instead of just posting on the internet about it! :D (my apologies Sir, I am feeling ornery today)

The material where Dusty found this information is available on www.wythegrays.org - under the article "Cooking on Campaign with the Stonewall Brigade" - obviously Confederate, but some good info for Federals as well.

-Bret Sumner

Originally posted by dusty27
                                Frank Ellis
                                Rt. 1, Box 341
                                Greenbriar, TN 37073
                                615-643-4842

Frank's skillets are very good and period accurate. He has a personal size available.

As to bacon vs. sausage, I recommend slab bacon from Scotts Hams www.scotthams.com (#55) This meat needs no refrigeration and comes close to the meat the soldiers would have received on occasion.

Hope this helps
                                Bret Sumner
                                bretsumner@hotmail.com
                                4th Virginia, SWB
                                www.wythegrays.org

Comment

Working...
                                X