Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soft Bread Recipe

I've got memoir and diary documentation stating that men in the field were sometimes detailed to set up and take down the "government ovens used in the baking of our bread." Surprisingly enough this quote came from a regiment in the middle of a late summer campaign.

I've seen a myriad of photos showing soft bread ovens in action, complete with stacks of emtpy pans and bread in pans waiting to rise. I'll see if I can find them and post them for you.

Brian White
    Randolph Mess

Hmm....the first part of this was practically useless. I'll get those photos.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

• Re: Soft Bread Recipe

Soft bread recipe:

1. Take one piece of hardtack, place in dominant hand

2. Fill cup with water

3. Place piece of hardtack in water in cup

4. Allow hardtack to soak up water

5. Pull soggy piece of now softtack out of water

6. Enjoy "soft bread"

Repeat as needed.... ;)
      Chad Fuller
      Randolph Mess, Co. B 2nd U.S.S.S.

"If you don't like my style, you can pick it up!"
      --Sgt. Wyman White. Co. F (N.H.) 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

• Reproduction tin cans?

I wanted to know if anyone has bought tin cans or any kind of reproduction items from www.victortradingco.com? If so, are they good reproductions and how do there tin cans hold up to use?

Comment

• Re: Reproduction tin cans?

Hi!

If you look carefully at the info in their website, it says "Cans are decorative only. The lids are soldered on." Whether or not they hold up to use is moot -- apparently you can't use them. Really nice looking labels, though. Too bad they are postwar.

Ron Myzie

Originally posted by hardtack1864
          I wanted to know if anyone has bought tin cans or any kind of reproduction items from www.victortradingco.com? If so, are they good reproductions and how do there tin cans hold up to use?

Comment

• Re: Reproduction tin cans?

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
            Hi!

If you look carefully at the info in their website, it says "Cans are decorative only. The lids are soldered on." Whether or not they hold up to use is moot -- apparently you can't use them. Really nice looking labels, though. Too bad they are postwar.

Ron Myzie
            There is no reason you couldn't put a period label on the can, then cut the top off and use the can for a boiler.
            Bruce Hoover
            Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

• Re: HardTack boxes

Greetings,

Some weeks ago, I was asked to provide the specs stated in a Commissary contractor bid solicitation originally published in the 13 December 1862 Louisville "Daily Journal." I finally rediscovered them and they are presented below:

ARMY SUPPLIES.

OFFICE OF THE U.S. COMMISSARY OF SUBSTINENCE,
              LOUISVILLE, KY., December 13, 1862.

Sealed proprosals made by first hands will be received at this office until 11 o'clock A.M. on Friday, the 19th of December, 1862 for furnishing the following substinence supplies:

***[Require] 500,000 lbs best quality Pilot Bread, packed in hickory strapped boxes containing 50 lbs net each, of fully seasoned wood, of such kinds as will impart no taste or odor to the bread, bottom and top of single pieces, or, if of two pieces, tongued and grooved together. The boxes must be 13 1/2 inches square in cross section, external measure.***

H.C. SYMONDS,
              Capt. and Commissary of Substinence

The remainder of the notice also contains some interesting info on packing barrels for beans, rice, hominy, roasted (NOT green!) coffee, clarified sugar, star candles, hard soap, and molasses.

As stated in that "Military Collector & Historian" article, single piece construction of hardtack boxes was acceptable; however, two-piece construction was also perfectly fine depending on the time, place, and
              contractor. The dimensions of the box stated above appear to significantly vary from those described in Kautz's book and the Army Regulations. Perhaps someone with more woodworking experience than I can determine the actual dimensions of a box "13 1/2 inches square in cross section, external measure": Maybe 27 x ? x 13 1/2?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

• Hardtack

Greetings comrades,
                It is my intention to attach photos of hardtack crates/stencils. Hopefully, I will succeed at this, but often it is a coin toss. These boxes are something we have been working on and hope to offer complete with the sapling bands which would make them a unique and more accurate repro of these boxes. I would like see what interest might be generated to justify the expense of possibly having laser cut metal stencils made. Hand cutting stencils is not an enjoyable activity.
                Sam Doolin
                The Old Rebel Workshop
                Attached Files

Comment

• ISO Mechanical Baking

Are these guys still around? The link we all used is bad and google only brings up the same link. Thanks in advance.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

• Re: Mechanical Baking Co

Originally posted by DougCooper
                    Are these guys still around? The link we all used is bad and google only brings up the same link. Thanks in advance.
                    Doug,

Try this company we have been using the past few years...

Bent Cracker Co.... http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/
                    Marc Riddell
                    1st Minnesota Co D
                    2nd USSS Company C
                    Potomac Legion

Comment

• Re: Hardtack boxes

My father has decided to become our unit QM sergeant, so we might be interested in a few of these. do you have a price list made up,
                      Please send me some info on your boxes.

twelfthill@lycos.com

Thanks

Comment

• Re: Hardtack boxes

Sam,
                        What's your projected cost for the boxes? Retail? Wholesale? If it's in the budget I would probably get a few.

Very nice marking by the way.

Best,

Comment

I had good results from them about 8 months ago. I'll check it out and get back.
                          -Tyler Putman
                          Last edited by Tyler; 03-01-2004, 07:40 PM.
                          [B]Tyler Putman[/B]
                          Member, CWPT, Company of Military Historians
                          Heidelberg College Center for Historic and Military Archaeology

Comment

Are you talking about the Mechanical Baking Co?

Comment

Hmm. You're right, the website

isn't working. I do have their contact info if you want to try that:
                              Mechanical Baking Co.
                              P.O. Box 513
                              Pekin, IL 61555
                              kcjust@yahoo.com
                              (309) 353-2414
                              Hope this helps. As I said before, I had good service this summer, but they may have gone out of bussiness.
                              -Tyler Putman
                              [B]Tyler Putman[/B]
                              Member, CWPT, Company of Military Historians
                              Heidelberg College Center for Historic and Military Archaeology

Comment

thanks Tyler - will try them. Would not be good if they are defunk. Bents are somewhat expensive, if perhaps more edible than MBC. Will let you know.
                                Soli Deo Gloria
                                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                                X