Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Receipts Using Corn Meal

Originally posted by Texian
    The other Vickie Betts posted a link to some information, and after looking at a portion of it I came across this bit on the various uses of cornmeal. So, for all in need of a good Hoe Cake receipt, well here it is.
    ---Ed

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, September 8, 1862, p. 1, c. 1

Corn Meal.

In reply to the offer of the Weekly Telegraph to the person who would furnish us with the greatest number of ways that corn meal can be served up as an article of food, we have received the following, and a young lady in Independence gets the "Weekly." Who will now say that we cannot dispense with flour altogether?
    Corn Crisp.—Take one pint of meal, one table spoon of lard, a little salt and water—spread it on a board thin, and bake it before the fire; turn it with a string or knife.
    Ash Corn Cake.—Mix up meal with water and a little salt; wrap it up in corn shucks or a collard leaf, and bake it in hot ashes.
    Hoe Cake—Mix up meal and water, and bake on a hoe.
    Corn Meal Ginger Cake—Take one pint of meal, three eggs, one cup of molasses, one table spoon of lard or butter, and ginger, or any other spices to suit your taste.
    Johnny Cake.—Take equal quantities of sweet potatoes (boiled) and corn meal—mix with salt and lard—and bake it over or on a board before the fire.
    Corn Meal Cakes.—Stir to a cream a pound and a quarter of brown sugar, a pound of butter, beat six eggs and mix them with the sugar and butter; add a tea spoonful of cinnamon or ginger; stir in a pound and three quarters of corn meal—bake in small cakes and let it remain till cold.
    Corn Cakes.—One quart of milk, one tea spoon full of saleratus, two eggs and corn meal sufficient to make a batter of the consistence of pan cakes.—Bake quick—pans buttered and eat warm.
    Corn Bread.—Take six pints of corn meal, one table spoonful of salt, four pints of water, mix with the hand and bake in oblong rolls two inches long—make half an hour before baking—use hot water in winter.
    Light Corn Bread.—Stir four pints of meal in three pints of warm water—add one tea spoonful of salt, let it rise five or six hours, then stir it with the hand and bake it in a brick oven.
    Another method is to make mush, and before it grows cold stir in a half pint of meal—let it rise and bake as the first.
    Corn Cakes.—Six eggs well beaten; one pint of milk; one teaspoonful salt; two pints of mush, almost cold; two pints of meal and three tablespoonsful of melted lard; grease the oven; put one large spoonful of batter in each cake. Do not let them touch in baking.
    Corn Muffins.—Made in the same way as the above. Grease the muffling hoops, and heat the oven slightly before putting in either corn cakes or muffins.
    Butter or Corn Cake.—Beat the yolk of three eggs very light; add one pint of milk, two pints of mush almost cold; one teaspoonful salt; three teaspoonsful of melted butter. To be well beaten together. Before frying them, ship the whites of the eggs to a strong froth, and stir it thoroughly in the batter. For frying all kinds of batter cakes, use no more lard than is necessary to make them turn well.
    Mush.—Two pints of water in a pot to boil; then take one pint of cold water and mix smoothly into a pint of meal. When the water in the pot boils, stir this well into it and let it boil for ten or fifteen minutes, or until it looks clear.
    Virginia Corn Bread.—Dissolve one tablespoonful of butter in three and a half pints of boiling milk; into this scald one quart of corn meal; when cool, add a half pint of wheat flour, a little sugar, a teaspoonful of salt, and two eggs well beaten, mix well together, and bake in two cakes; tins well greased or buttered.
    Brown Bread.—Mix three parts of corn meal and two parts of rye flour; sift and wet down with sweetened hot water; a little saleratus and yeast; work into a stiff pudding. Bake with a steady strong heat until well done.
    Corn Bread.—To three pints of milk add as much corn meal as will make a thin batter, three eggs, two tablespoonsful of butter, a teaspoonful of saleratus, and salt to suit the taste. If not to be had, the bread is good without the eggs.
    Corn Oysters.—Take three dozen ears of large young corn, six eggs, lard and butter in equal portions for frying. The corn must be young and soft. Grate it from the cob as fine as possible, and dredge it with flour. Beat very lengthy the six eggs, and mix them gradually with the corn. Then let the whole be incorporated by hard beating; add a teaspoonful of salt.

I have heard the term "corn dodgers",was wondering if those are a variation of one of the above,and if they are PEC?If so,would like a recipe to try them as well.
    Thanks,

Forrest Peterson
    Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
    Tater Mess Social Orchestra
    Missourah Shirkers

Comment

• Re: Pickled beef

Corned beef is the same thing here in SE North Carolina. Pickled or corned meats are fresh cuts cured in a brine. It is faster to do than smoking or salt-dry curing but it will spoil if removed from the brine and not prepared soon.

There are actual pickled meats and shellfish that are preserved in spices, vinegar or cider and I have seen on occasions a port/dark beer mixture. Eater beware.
      I have seen these listed on a sutler's sign in an image taken near Richmond.

Some people will soak pickled meats overnight before cooking, but I do know those who will boil it after a quick rince and thats it.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

• Re: Pickled beef

Hormel sells both Salt Pork & Salt Beef, guaranteed to be in stock at any supermarket near a large Russian immigrant community... at least that's what I was told by a Hormel salesman about a year ago whan I asked him why I could find it at some places but not others. The Salt Pork is actually pretty decent, I've never tried the Salted Beef though.
        Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
        SUVCW Camp 48
        American Legion Post 352
        [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

• Re: Receipts Using Corn Hominy

For those coarse Hominy Grit fans out there, there's always samp porridge. A staple of colonial American life, there are numerous diary references to this simple dish during the ACW. Basically coarse ground dried white corn, salt pork, and any fresh vegetables you can scrounge up. stew for a day...eat when you're hungry, add more ingredients when available.....keep the pot on the fire and eat hardy all weekend.

RJ Samp (and I know what a samp pounder is....)
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Just curious...if campainging and eating out of my haversack, how do I let something "stew for a day" while keeping "the pot on the fire" and then "eat hardy all weekend" ? :wink_smil
            ---Ed
            Ed Hagins
            Death is the common lot of all and the diferance between dyeing to day and to morrow is not much but we all prefer to morrow.
            Private Thomas B. Barker, 2nd Maine, July 20, 1861

Comment

Originally posted by Texian
              Just curious...if campainging and eating out of my haversack, how do I let something "stew for a day" while keeping "the pot on the fire" and then "eat hardy all weekend" ? :wink_smil
              ---Ed
              It is a practice that only the most authentic hardcores have mastered. :wink_smil
              Bernard Biederman
              30th OVI
              Co. B
              Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
              Outpost III

Comment

Vuhj,

"Saleratus is baking soda."

It can be used in much the same manner as baking soda, and it does not leave the scant bitter taste.

This link may prove of some use to further refine or refute the above assumption. By the time the various leavens wind down to Saleratus near the bottom of the page, the answer will be clear. Some stores still carry it amongst the offerings in the spice rack filler aisle.

Includes ingredient substitutions and ingredient synonyms for Leavens, Yeast.

This is a wonderful website beyond this one page for other subsistence related definitions.

Charles Heath
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Use your god given talents for initiative and creativity instead of burying your brain in your haversack? :tounge_sm

If on campaign, you could always steal the food from the local inhabitants. Jackson's Corps dined well after Bristoe Junction was captured with it's vast wares...... wonder where the boys got their pies and fresh baked bread from during the Antietam campaign? How about those Cherries in Pennsylvania in late June? I would have liked to have been the Wisconsin boy who had his canteen filled up with milk punch (for the unitiated that's a brandy milk and lemon juice drink that was often used for wounded soldier's....delicious).

Morgan's Raid the CSA troopers routinely came up to houses in the evening and requested a meal be prepared for 60, 80 troopers. Then they swapped their worn out mounts for the farmer's fresh horses....and ate like kings. On campaign. Living out of their haversacks.

Soups, stews, and 12 hour baked army beans on the march usually require cooking at night or in the evening. The 83rd Pennsylvania used their 3 pint muckets to good effect during the Penninsula Campaign. chicken boiled in Chesapeake Bay salt water during the Yorktown siege was deemed delicious. Caspar Trepp of Berdan's Sharpshooter's noted that the German's and Swiss who tended to make their ration issue into delicious soups and stews reported to sick call less often than the English and New Yorkers who tended to fry their food.

I have read where haversacks were used to carry warm stew......yummy. Actually a mucket with a cloth or leather tied down lid is a good stew carrier.

Blackford's 5th Alabama Battalion (Rodes Division) on the march to Gettysburg came upon a farm yard with a flock of chickens in it. The bugle calls HALT and DISPERSE were sounded. two minutes later ATTENTION and FORWARD were sounded. No chickens left in the farm yard. That night they cooked chicken soup while on campaign and living out of their haversacks....maybe you can do the same? Here's the receipt for chicken soup:

60 fresh killed, plucked, cleaned, and cut up chickens
                  a 'garden' of green onions and potatoes
                  'borrowed' metal vessels
                  simmer for 2 hours
                  serves 150 troops

time to move past the hard tack and slab bacon ration issue living out of the haversack routine and live as they did?

samp porridge can be cooked in less than an hour on a split rail fence fire......you don't 'have' to cook it all day long. Add the vegetables that you foraged while on the march.

Your mileage and creative cooking skills will vary. Some of us eat off of a plate or canteen half instead of out of our haversacks..... :wink_smil

RJ Samp
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Originally posted by RJSamp
                    If on campaign, you could always steal the food from the local inhabitants. (snip)
                    Not sure at what point the tongue was removed from the cheek, so I'm not sure if the suggestions were meant to be actually applied at reenactments or not. :)

I just came from an event last weekend where a squad of Union soldiers who were out of rations did indeed stop at a house, order the inhabitants to slaughter and cook them the small pig that was in the pen nearby, and a few chickens wound up being killed and eaten as well. I didn't see it happen first hand, as I was staying with another family who'd packed their things on a horse and an ox and were temporarily hiding out in a cave a quarter mile away. If the soldiers wanted vegetables or fresh eggs or jam, they could steal or purchase them (with period money) from local citizens also. Alas, the cow didn't freshen in time, or there would have been fresh milk for the taking too.

So yes, the kind of food mentioned in those accounts is certainly possible at events.

But the logistics are great, and the choice of what's going to be available for forage during the event is generally not within the control of the average event attendee.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Hank Trent

Comment

• Essence of coffee

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on making essence of coffee? I have looked in a number of places and cant seem to find any directions for it.
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

• Re: Essence of coffee

Hi,
                        This is one of those things that comes up about every 6 months or so.

Try this:
                        Fugawee Corp was started officially in 1986 By Art and Nancy Ayotte, to bring historically accurate footwear to Re-enactors. Nancy being a Jeweler by trade, started the collection of buttons and began making Medallions.

The gentleman's shoes and boots have been soundly pillaried as inauthentically made , but no one yet has posted anything negative about his his essence of coffee.

Cordially,

Comment

Greetings,

I know this has been discussed before elsewhere on this forum but the way I make essence of coffee is as follows:

1/2 cup concentrated coffee crystals (e.g., "Folger's")
                          Add individual drops of water into the crystals and stir until have have a heavy, thick brown paste.
                          Add a can of concentrated milk ("Borden's" is good) and mix. If you see chunks in the mix, just put the bowl (assuming it's microwave-safe) in a microwave and heat for a bit then stir again or put the mix in a sauce pan over low heat and stir until you get a thick, gooey, dark brown conglomeration. Once the mix cools you can literally stand up your spoon in it. A little experimentation should make come out just right.

Many folks put their essence of coffee into small tins (i.e., musket cap tins) although this stuff was originally put into one or two pound cans. Warning: "essence" is VERY strong and a little goes a long way--a spoonful to a tin cup of hot water is usually plenty. I once made the mistake of using too much and it about "blew me a new one"--I was flying for the rest of the day. ;)

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thnaks for the info guys this helps a lot.
                            Tyler Underwood
                            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I have never seen this before, I have never tried it, but I just found this while looking for something else.

Thoughts?
                              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

If you look in antique stores and at some relic sites you can find original bottles with Essence on one side and London on the other. From what I have read and seen these were fairly common from the 1860's through the 1880's.
                                Danny *PigPen* McCoslin
                                Speight's 15th Tx Co A
                                Texas Ground Hornets
                                "Touch me and I'll Sting"

Comment

Working...
                                X