Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• constructing Boxes, Desks, etc.

I am having trouble finding research through the internet on constructing period style ammo/bread boxes, field desks, stools, tables, etc. I am wondering if anyone here knows of any site on the web that offers enough research and instructions on constructing these items. I have already built one ammo box successfully but I would like to extend my inventory.

Kevin, you must sign your name to all posts on this forum. Please review the rules of posting. Also, please do a search of the forum to see if this has come up. I know there have been discussions on ammo boxes before - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 03-29-2004, 08:39 AM.
    Kevin Perry

Comment

• Re: constructing Boxes, Desks, etc.

I would suggest skipping the internet, and heading right for a library; even our small county library has an extensive "history of woodworking" section, with at least half a dozen books on period furniture, traditional cabinetry, military furniture, etc--both with traditional hand-tool information, and how to do traditional techniques with modern tools.

While the internet is great--the library is still tops for a lot of things!
      Regards,
      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Hi,

I would suggest you check elsewhere in these forums. For example, I recently provided the "specs" for a Cincinnati QM Depot hardtack box, as well as specs for a Confederate Trans-Mississippi hardtack box, that I found in 1862 newspapers. These vary somewhat from what is described in the U.S. Army Regulations (the C.S. Regs do not list specific dimensions for hardtack boxes).

You would also be well served to look through "Military Collector & Historian" magazine. The latest issue includes an article by Fred Gaede providing a detailed description of a government-contract field desk.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hi,

Also, don't underestimate the value of contemporary photographs. The attached image is extracted from the following Library of Congress photo:

[Petersburg, Va. Dead Confederate soldier, in trench beyond a section of chevaux-de-frise]. (Photographed 3 April 1865)

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Yet another source you might check in regards to measured dimensions of extant boxes of various kinds (including ammo crates) and camp desks, chairs etc. is Dr. Francis Lord 's CIVIL WAR COLLECTOR'S ENCYCLOPEDIA Vol I, II, III, Book Sales, 1995

. Although the black and white photos of the listed items are a bit blurry, and reluctant to give up much detail, the verbal description (including complete measurements) is often of help.
            Last edited by Michael Semann; 03-29-2004, 12:17 PM. Reason: update source info
            Michael Semann
            AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

I think I will take a visit to both the library and the book store and conduct a more in-depth research. Thank you for all of your replies, they have been quite helpfull.
              Kevin Perry

Comment

• Re: period frying pan

I know this is going to draw some serious flak, but why not look for a small era cast iron skillet or griddle. They did exist, and believe it or not they are usually a tab bit lighter that the sheet iron variety. Now I am certainly not advocating going to the modern large box stores and buying the modern Lodge offerings (except to use at home, for which they work very well I might add) but true pre 1890s bottom poured small cookware that is small enough to fit in a haversack. And I might add they are very plentiful and usually cheap. I will see if I can dig up more info on the 1860s and earlier variety, to use as a reference.

Comment

• Can Openers

Does anyone know what a period can opener looks like? If so, are there any reproductions out there?

Comment

• Re: Can Openers

If you are portraying a soldier on campaign, it would look like your bayonet or pocket knife. There were can openers during the period, but I am not aware of a wide spread usage of any one example. I have my doubts of a soldier carrying one of these heavy dangerous contraptions
                    Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 03-29-2004, 08:10 PM.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have a rough drawing that Rick Bailey found years ago of one type. What the size it was I have no clue or how you would use the odd looking contraption. So would I be willing to mail anyone a copy? Not unless an original like it popped up and I knew the dimentions. Sorry.

Comment

Most that you run across in Patent applications flourish immediately after the war (the same w/ so many nifty inventions)...

Here are 1867 & 1869 examples from Scientific American respectively...

In short, use another implement if you can't prove period documentation.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 03-29-2004, 10:26 PM.
                        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

I second what Robert Johnson wrote on this thread. A period can opener that the average soldier would have had or used looked EXACTLY like a bayonet or knife.

Comment

Actually period can openers were small handled openers known as a "can knife". I had posted a pic out of the 1865 Hardware catalogue on the old version of the board. I also own an original (or one that's pretty close in date).

*And here I keep saying I'm going to quit posting*
                            Rick Bailey
                            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

"If you are portraying a soldier on campaign, it would look like your bayonet or pocket knife. There were can openers during the period, but I am not aware of a wide spread usage of any one example. I have my doubts of a soldier carrying one of these heavy dangerous contraptions."

I haven't done in depth research on the use of can openers, either civilian or military, but I do have some information. Just guessing and knowing some general information on cans and can openers, I would expect that a soldier would have used a knife or bayonet to open cans.

It took 50 years after the introduction of canned foods for the can opener to make an appearance. The first can opener was patented by Ezra Warner on Jan. 5, 1858 (#19,063) and was titled, "Can Opener." It had a two pronged opening area with the bottom being the cutting blade and the top stablized the cutting blade on the can.

Among the cargo of the Steamboats Arabia (sunk in 1856) and the Bertrand (sunk in 1865) were a great deal of canned foods but no can opener.
                              I looked in the Russell Erwin 1865 hardware catalogue but did not find a specific can opener or can knife. In 1887, 1884, and post 1885 hardware catalogues can openers were featured but all were post war design.

Canned foods had been produced since the early 1800s, people had devised many methods for opening them. A can [made of iron] of roast veal that William Parry took on his Arctic expedition in 1824 read, "Cut round on the top with a chisel and hammer." It was not until 1885 that the British Army and Navy Cooperative Society offer can openers. In reading mid-19th century cookbooks, some recommended using a knife or chisel to open the cans.
                              Virginia Mescher
                              vmescher@vt.edu
                              http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

• Bayonet

Camp dump sites are full of cans with X cuts in the tops.....

RJ Samp
                                RJ Samp
                                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                                X