Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can Openers

Originally posted by FilthyFed64
    Does anyone know what a period can opener looks like? If so, are there any reproductions out there?
    "One more thing to tote may be the very one to sink the boat." - Anon.

A simple single-blade pocketknife can be one of your best friends in the field, as well as every day. It can be everything from a food slicer, spoon maker, fingernail cleaner & cutter, pea trencher, hoof pick, line cutter, splinter remover, can opener, chisel, hole punch, toothpick maker, light spokeshave, and so much more. Don't try all this at once, and clean the blade (fire is good) between certain uses. Just as there are several ways to skin a cat, there are several ways to open a can with a knife. Here's a few ways that may convince you a heavy can opener is not always needed:

Sometimes relic cans are found in camps with an "X" cut into the bottom and four corners pried up. How they did this is not readily apparent from examining the relic can, but one only need to have the pocket knife close up on one's finger only once to guess the process. Simply take the point of the knife with the fingers low on the blade and centered on the bottom of the can, and tap gently to make a small slot. Turn the knife 90 degrees and make another small slot. This should look like an "X" or the top of a Phillips head screw at this point. The next step is to insert the knife into each end of the small slotted opening, and cut the slot to the rim of the can. It will now be a big "X," and vaguely resemble a pie cut into four sections. Be very careful lifting the four sections with the knife (instead of your fingers). The contents are ready to be poured into another container, or cooked as is right in the can. The sharp edges can be simply pushed into the ground a few times to bend them back into the can. Why open the bottom? For a good number of period cans, the method for sealing involved a multi step process. (A good website on period cans will provide more details.) The top was soldered to the walls, and the large "filler hole" was left open for the contents to be inserted. After heating, the steam escapes from the pinhole in the filler hole cap (about the size of a modern dollar coin -- size does vary), and then the pinhole is sealed. Evidently, someone got wise to the drop of solder dripping from the pinhole into the victuals, and a small tin sturrip or shield was installed directly below the pinhole in a good number of cans. Not all cans had this feature, but it is easier to enter the bottom of this type of can rather than the top. The number of relic cans opened from the bottom indicate this, but it isn't a 100% rule in any case.

Note: If this post slightly reminds anyone of the "how to sharpen a pencil" homework assignment from Technical Writing 101, please feel free to laugh -- at me. :wink_smil

A more common method is to take the point of the knife with the fingers low on the blade to prevent that sudden fold up surprise, and cut along the inside of the top offsetting maybe 3/16th of an inch or less to compensate for the strength in the (fold) of the lid as it goes over the side wall of the can. For the most part, the paradox of the modern can with a period-style label comes into play, and the crimp doesn't add any detectable rigidity to the can at that point. Simply insert to make a hole, and follow around the rim. Some cut the top off, and some leave a hinge on the lid. Your choice. Far more cans appear to be opened in this manner than the "X" method described above. The same thing can be done with a triangular bayonet used with patience, and I'm going to assume a saber bayonet or artilleryman's short sword would be a bit cumbersome to use, but the job could be done with a modicum of care.

A third way to open a can of just liquid is to simply poke two slots into opposite sides of the top. Pry gently to make the slots a tad wide for better flow. Why do this at all? A can of milk is less likely to spoil or be spilled with a pouring slot of about 1/4" and a vent slot of similar size. A small nail or ice pick works for this, too, but this is about fun ways to open a can with a pocketknife.

Sardine cans take a little skill and patience, and the can be made into primitive lamps with a little bacon fat and a strip of cloth as a wick. A little experimentation will develop the skill to making something more akin to a smoky little Betty lamp rather than a grease fire.

On the subject of cans themselves, there is really no really good answer, and while this has been covered in many, many, posts in the past it bears bringing up once again. Most sanitary foodstuffs are in obviously modern cans, and other than selecting non-aluminum cans in somewhat period shapes, and putting on period-style lables, there isn't a good solution, and, frankly, I don't think this is a great solution, but there are times when the scenario or vignette dictates some form of canned goods would be present be it tinned lobster, English bully beef, whole cooked chickens, peaches, tomatoes, sardines, oysters, and such. The other alternative is to fill period containers with the attendant sanitation risks, and having had some experience in the food preservation area over the years, courtesy of the Cooperative Extension Service, I'd rather not repeat the sort of mass food poisioning usually associated with the Bovril Co. and the Span-Am War. The other factor with using filled period reproduction cans as a disposable food serving container is cost. Would reusing crudely opened reproduction cans filled with decanted canned foods be a compromise? In the right setting, it may be. I simply do not know, since I have not tried it. It is getting harder and harder to find remotely appropriate (and they are still wrong in a literal sense) modern cans.

This was about pocketknives, and remember a sharp knife is a safe knife. Some vendors sell slightly larger knives that open cans a little easier than small pocket knives. The Steamship Arabia museum has a large display of knives very similar to the "skinning" or "trade" knife sold by Jas. Townsend & Son. (Warning: Only a very few items in their catalogue have any bearing on the CW.) Other similar knives can be purchased from other vendors and makers. A knife like this is also handy for cutting the rind from real dry cured bacon if a meat saw is not handy in the wagon.

A key thought about cans, before I use all of Paul's bandwidth today, is the appropriateness of the setting. The vignettes of the 157th NY Inf. guards trading canned goods with the prisoners at Fort Pulaski during the Immortal 600 events is good. Having sutlers hawk canned goods in winter camp can be backed up by many mentions in letters and journals, and receiving some canned items in boxes from home, where appropriate, is also good, as seen at the recent Winter 1864 event as the 151st NY Inf. in Newfane, NY. Rebs chowing down on the spoils of Second Manassas is another fun example, and there are others, but keep in mind a can of something special, like peaches, in a knapsack weighs much more than the dried equivalent. Less can be more.

Seems I'm slated to teach some of this period food service stuff beyond bacon burning, hardtack munching, and coffee cooling, as part of Field Cooking 201 class in about 3 weeks at at COI in the always comfy, warm, and dry confines of Fort Ontario in Oswego, NY. Thanks for getting my creative energy going!

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I agree with Charles, Kevin, and the others.

The can opener WOULD HAVE BEEN your knife or bayonet (All Models, though the "candle stick" model would have had to have more precision). Most foods were not canned, but if you were lucky enough to recieve some canned peach or apples,or what have you they would have been a rarity and so it was thought that if it was not common (except possibly in garrison) why bother with the contraption?

Andrew Stebbins - Commoneer

Comment

• Re: Essence of coffee

I can't imagine why you would want to make your own essence of coffee when you can still buy it at the grocery store. I find that my local Safeway Store still sells it in the coffee and tea isle. I have a couple of original bottles that were originally used for essence of coffee, one of them called Peterson's Camp Coffee stamped into the side of the bottle.

One of my bottles has a pontelled bottom which I believe is earlier.....perhaps 1850s? Molded blown bottles are easier to find, the trick is finding the right bottle to match your product.

After I refill the bottle, I cork it and seal it in heavy lapidary wax and then wrap the top with gold foil. It looks accurate and provides me with that fine 'elixir of Eqypt' that I need to get my day going. The bottled essence coffee is very strong, too much for the stomach unless you dilute it.

Judith Peebles
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

American Heritage of Inventions and Technology magazine had an article on can openers and food packaging between 1993 and 1995. You may be able to find a back issue.

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have a top of a tin can from Ceder Creek and as you know with Ceder creek that federal troops had been there for a long enough time for the sutlers to come, but the can seems to have been opened with a knife though.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack1864
              as you know with Ceder creek that federal troops had been there for a long enough time for the sutlers to come.
              Were they? I don't have the exact dates at hand, but the Army of the Shenandoah encamped along Cedar Creek in the general vicinity of Belle Grove Plantation probably around October 11-12, 1864, after marching north from Harrisonburg (much further up the Valley) and engaging in "The Burning" of the central portion of the Shenandoah. Really, Sheridan's army was at Cedar Creek for literally one week before Early attacked him on October 19. Given that there was active skirmishing between the two armies in this time, I rather doubt that there were sutlers on the scene in the Federal camp, although I will readily admit I do not have handy any documentation one way or the other regarding the presence of Federal sutlers prior to the battle of Cedar Creek.

Regardless, a common soldier may have had a can opener, but he probably did not. A knife of the ubiquitous bayonet does the same darn job, and the soldier needed to carry these items, whereas he did NOT have to carry a can opener.

Comment

I thought I heard something in Guns of Ceder Creek that during that surprise attack the rebs looted both sutler tents and soldiers tents, but to the point again, a soldier use something that he already had "knife, bayonet" instead of buying a heavy can opener which had only one purpose.
                Last edited by ; 03-30-2004, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Greetings,

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but the U.S. Navy sure as heck had can openers during the war: I've found USN ships stores contract bid solicitations for "can openers" published in various 1864 numbers of the "United States Army and Navy Journal." Whether these items filtered into army camps via purchase, theft, or trade remains a matter of speculation....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Since this topic rears its head occasionaly, I put some ration cans about half way down on the following page . There are two dug opened ones and one unused can.

Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack1864
                      I thought I heard something in Guns of Ceder Creek that during that surprise attack the rebs looted both sutler tents and soldiers tents, but to the point again, a soldier use something that he already had "knife, bayonet" instead of buying a heavy can opener which had only one purpose.
                      Sean it is a priveledge that we have given our users that they would have a 24 hour edit ability on posts. It used to be infinite but it was abused. Now I see we need to restrict editing even further.

Why? Because you have seen fit to edit out the comments that a moderator placed in your post. So now I have to take that ability away from you... but as you might be able to guess, I can't just take it away from you, I have to take it away from everyone.

Nice job there Sean.
                      Paul Calloway
                      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                      Proud Member of the GHTI
                      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

• Re: period frying pan

I was just wondering if the pans with the "Cold Handle" on them are authentic or if they came later.
                        [B]Yours in the Cause,
                        Jason R. Fowler
                        Blue Ridge Mess
                        Armory Guards[/b]

Comment

I happen to like the edit button too....

Thanks Sean!!
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

• Re: constructing Boxes, Desks, etc.

Originally posted by BlindSword
                            I think I will take a visit to both the library and the book store and conduct a more in-depth research. Thank you for all of your replies, they have been quite helpfull.
                            Kevin,
                            Purchase a reprint of:
                            THE ORDNANCE MANUAL FOR THE USE OF THE OFFICERS OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY

from (dare I say it) Fall Creek Sutlery.

Great info for Small arms Ammo Boxes, Artillery boxes & chests, Musket Packing Boxes, ect....Great Stuff!
                            Quite possibily the best 'detail' book I have ever seen.

Thanks,
                            Don Tolbert
                            Holmes Member
                            tolberd@polaroid.com
                            Thanks,
                            Don Tolbert. GG Grandson of
                            Sampson Walker, 10th Indiana Cav.
                            [I]SERVICE. -- Elk River, Sulphur Branch Trestle, Richland Creek, Pulaski, Athens, Siege of Decatur, Siege of Murfreesboro, "The Cedars", Owen's Cross Roads, Battle of Nashville, Tenn., & Franklin - Captured on December 18, 1864 at Hollow Tree Gap. - Spent remainder of War at Camp Sumter (Andersonville).[/I]

Comment

• Re: constructing Boxes, Desks, etc.

Previous discussion on boxes...

Daniel Fodera
                              Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

• Re: Hardtack boxes

Mr Doolin,
                                A few questions:

What type of wood are you using?
                                Thicknesses of the tops/bottoms & ends?
                                Type /size of nails?
                                Does your boxes come with the farby 'cleats' that are usually attached to the tops?
                                Strapping - have you considered using 'light iron' instead of wood?
                                Do you have any stencils for the Cincinnati, OH depot ? (most western troops got their bread from there)

The only reason I bring this up is because of the preponderence of 'wrong' boxes that are available out there today.

Here is some research:

1863 SPECIFICATIONS
                                Assistant Commissary General of Subsistence - [Lt. Col. C.L. Kilburn "Notes on Preparing Stores for the United States Army and on the Care of the Same, etc, with a few rules for Detecting Adulterations" Printed 1863]
                                ...The packages should be thoroughly seasoned, (of wood imparting no taste or odor to the bread,) and reasonably tight. The usual method now adopted is to pack 50 pounds net, in basswood boxes, (sides, top and bottom 1/2 inch, ends 5/8 of an inch,) and of dimensions corresponding with the cutters used, and strapped at each end with light iron or wood...

Thanks for your response,

Don Tolbert
                                Holmes Brigade
                                tolberd@polaroid.com
                                Thanks,
                                Don Tolbert. GG Grandson of
                                Sampson Walker, 10th Indiana Cav.
                                [I]SERVICE. -- Elk River, Sulphur Branch Trestle, Richland Creek, Pulaski, Athens, Siege of Decatur, Siege of Murfreesboro, "The Cedars", Owen's Cross Roads, Battle of Nashville, Tenn., & Franklin - Captured on December 18, 1864 at Hollow Tree Gap. - Spent remainder of War at Camp Sumter (Andersonville).[/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X