No announcement yet.

Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Slab Bacon... the Price per pound there of.

I stopped by the market again yesterday. The slab bacon is produced by a Company with James in it's name. I think it was either James Meats or James Farms.

The Vendor gets about four or five slabs every Monday. The ones I saw looked pretty darn good. A fair mix of red meat and fat. I'll wait 'til a Monday morning an then see what he has. I'll get a slab or two, slice one into issue sized portions and freeze them. When I want to take some to an event where it's bring your own rations, I can grab an issue sized portion and go.

Thanks for all of the responses.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

• Re: Andersonville Soup

I don't know about you guys, but I don't believe that I have to contract dysentery or become infested with lice to be accurate. In this spirit, I'll pass on the soup and stick to salt pork and hard tack.

Pvt Bob Firth
      25th Mass Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Bob Firth
      [I]Awkward Squad Mess[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][U]CR COI: Apr 2010
      Spangler's Spring LH: 12-13-June 2010
      Return to Manassas: 27-19 Aug 2010
      Unison, VA: Oct 2010
      [/U][/COLOR]

Comment

• Re: Knife, fork, spoon combinations

Related question: What about alternative versions that were available but are not reproduced at this time? How many versions and how common are they? Specifically, I have been looking at the P. Ulmer patent, commonly marked as Worman. One I just missed at auction (not that I had $850 to spend!) was documented to " John Winter Harris while serving in the equivalent of the Home Guard at Cincinnati, Ohio". Another was "Reportedly from a Michigan soldier." I know they were produced, but how common was the usage of this particular version? Are there any other versions of sheet metal nesting utensil sets, other than what has been posted already and this other patent system?

Patrick Cunningham
        Attached Files

Comment

Fancy you should mention the Worman & Ely knife, fork, spoon combo. I just purchased the spoon section of one that is indentified to a member of McKnight's Battery M, of the 5th U.S. Artillery. I figured since the company was out of Berks County, Penna. and the combo was manufacured in Philadelphia, he must have purchased it through a sutler. It has seen some serious use and his name must be scratched into it in at least 5 different places. He only put his company letter on it once.

The only problem with the images is that neither of them show the "humped-back" design this thing has. I'll take another picture of it if anyone is interested.

Anyone know where I can get a hold on the the rest of this set? :confused_
          Mark A. Pflum
          Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
          Member:
          CMH
          AHA
          Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Pat,

I think there was an article some time back in "North South Trader" or "Civil War Collector" that discussed combo eating utensils. According to that author, the most common *sheet metal* model was the Richards Patent already shown, and the others were relatively scarce.

The quality of today's repros of this particular set is another matter. The current Richards repro is barely usable when compared to the original. I think the whole set is undersized, and the size and shape of the spoon is really off. If anyone has one of these repro sets that would post a jpeg, the differences would speak for themselves.

John Tobey

Comment

• Re: Slab Bacon... the Price per pound there of.

You can try Gayles Market in Penn Laird, Va. Now, they sell side meat. Best side meat in the valley. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

• Re: Andersonville Soup

You'd eat mud if you were hungry enough. Here in the valley it's not unusual for people to eat cow brains, mountain oysters, cow tongue or pig's feet. Depends on your tastes. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR) :sarcastic

Comment

• Period labels

Tried a search but came up dry.

I'm hunting for a source for period labels for both patent medicines and for liquor. Photos of originals are fine too. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Comment

• Re: Period labels

Try Sullivan Press:

(Scroll down almost to the end and you'll see the labels currently being offered)

I think Dell's Leather Works also offered labels but I don't know if he's still doing so:

Museum Quality Civil War Leather Reproductions and Custom Creations, holsters, belts, leather book covers, neck stock, thumb stall, artillery, military, infantry, Officer, Navy, Marine, General, Commander, sheaths, leather covered bottles, leather covered canteens, cartridge boxes, rifle and musket slings, tobacco pouch, soldier accoutrements, eye patch, knife sheaths, work belts, pouches, satchels,

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Contact John Maki at Maki's Boxes and Mercantile in Lexington, MO for some outstanding reproduction labels. He doesn't have a website so you will have to try and track him down. Last I heard he worked for the Missouri DNR at Lexington State Battlefield Park. Sorry I don't have his address.

Regards,
                      Mark Susnis
                      Mark Susnis
                      Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

All,

Here is John Maki's address:

1521 Franklin Avenue
                        Lexington,Missouri 64067-1467

Hope this helps

Forrest Peterson
                        Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
                        Tater Mess Social Orchestra
                        Missourah Shirkers

Comment

Mike,

Here are pics of the Sullivan Press labels:

John Stillwagon

Comment

In that second photo down, does the label read "Pilolae Quinlae Sulphatis"? I think it should be "Pilulae Quiniae Sulphatis," which would be the standard period Latin name for sulphate of quinine pills. I realize there's a chance the label might be an accurate reproduction of one that had a mistake in the period, but that would have been a pretty obvious typo to slip past the inspectors, and not PEC.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@voyager.net
                            Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent
                              In that second photo down, does the label read "Pilolae Quinlae Sulphatis"? I think it should be "Pilulae Quiniae Sulphatis," which would be the standard period Latin name for sulphate of quinine pills.

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@voyager.net
                              Well, when it comes to Latin, sometimes I feel like those English translators in Hong Kong that write assembly instructions for furniture.

My label is an attempt at a copy of one found in Echoes of Glory, Arms and Equipment of the Union. The label in question can be found on page 226. The letter in question contains a smudge at the top right corner. However upon close examination, even with these eyes, there's definitely some top curve to that letter on the upper left side, and it certainly appears to me as an "O". Here's a scan of the part of the label in question.

Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                              Elverson, PA

Comment

• Issuing Rations

Hello all,
                                I have run this idea past a few of my comrades and we are thinking about taking on the task of putting together a ration issue scenario for our company. I was wondering what would be the most appropriate way to dole out the salt pork, crackers, coffee, etc. I am hoping that some of you who have experience in this area can help me. My group has had a lot of success recently in putting on mail and pay calls and want to move in a new direction. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
                                Matthew Cassady
                                104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
                                [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
                                [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X