Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Proper Container for Essence of Coffee

Yesterday my father purchased a clear glass bottle, that had embossed on the bottle Essc. "Camp coffee" and chickory. It also had the manufactuer name on the side, which escapes me now. My question is when does it date from? It was purchased from a dealer in Cvil War items, for what thats worth. Once I get a picture I'll try to post it if needs be. I know in ealry conversation on this thread it was determined or was the going opinion that essence of Coffee was in either large cans that served 100 or small tin cans that held 4 oz. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Robert,

It appears to be a Scottish thing. If you check eBay, you'll probably find similar bottles to the one your father purchased. A couple common ones are embossed "SYMINGTON & Cos ESS COFFEE & CHICORY EDINBURGH" and "PATERSON'S ESS CAMP COFFEE & CHICORY GLASGOW." The sellers are claiming that they date from around the turn of the twentieth century.

McCormick Foods of Scotland still makes a similar substance, under the brand name "Camp."

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Now, that you mention it i think it might have had a city of manufacture like Glasgow, now that you mention it. It did not claim to be Civil War just late 19th century. So, I guess the next question is was the stuff in the bottle the same as CW essence?
        Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
        Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
        5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

To add an additional point, "essence of coffee" was nothing new when the war began. Variants of this product had been on the market for over a decade previous. While going through a Lafayette, Indiana newspaper I recall seeing a "Hummel's" ad from 1853, which mentions a prize it had won the previous year at a major trade fair.

To wit:

New York Times, 15 October 1851:

ALDEN’S MAGIC COFFEE.—This nutricious pre-
          paration from pure Coffee, combined with sugar and
          Cream, may be made ready for use in One Minute, by merely
          adding boiling water. One teaspoonful of this paste will
          make a cup of high flavored, clarified coffee, sweetened and
          creamed. Put up in one Pound cases.
          ALDEN & WILKINSON, Proprietors, 11 and 14 Wall-st.,
          And at T. HOPE & CO.’S, 132 Chambers-st. o9-2t*

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

• And speaking of coffee

tried my best to do it the right way last weekend. I obtained some beans, already roasted ( hey, one step at a time right? ). Made by Community Coffee, so I was supporting Louisiana purchasing this. Put those beans in a tin plate and woke up the entire camp grinding them up with my bayonet socket. Tossed them into my then unmelted coffee boiler, covered them with ample water and 'let er rip'.

After half an hour I had coffee you could read a newspaper through. This won't do. So I put it back on the fire and biled it some mo. Took it out and let it steep. It was a little darker.

Had NO FLAVOR at all!!! what did I do wrong here? And that story about tossing a little cold water on it to sink the grounds down to the bottom of the cup? yeah right.. LOL

so fellers, how do YOU do it?

thanks in advance

Ronnie
            Ronnie Hull
            Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
            Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
            Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
            2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
            Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

• Qwerty...qwerty...qwerty...qwerty...qwertyuiop

Coffee was too weak, eh? I suggest you simply make it stronger?

Most likely you became impatient and didn't grind enough coffee. I've seen 'two great spoonfuls' to each pint of water identified as a common measure in period receipts.

See the discussion on Coffee: Green or Roasted for Charles Heath's article on how to prepare coffee.
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

• Re: And speaking of coffee

Per Chawls quoted article:
                Coffee makers generally fall into two camps. The boil-then-add camp, and the add-then-boil camp. The latter works well enough for me, but some folks do like to get the water boiling before adding their coffee. I'm sure the boys of '61 argued the same thing with the same enthusiasm as any Liliputian egg-end debator.
                Being a card carrying member of Starbucks nation - downtown Seattle chapter - and having reviewed one of the thick, employee manuals at Starbucks about different ways to make coffee, I'm in the boil-then-add camp. That is the recommended method by folks who make a living producing coffee. Must be something to it.

Also remember that good beans make good coffee. Those who tasted the coffee I boiled atop Rich Mountain got some great beans that you cannot purchase from behind the lunch counter at Woolworth's.

Don't be shy when adding grounds. If you're trying to stretch it, you're going to make two pots of lousy coffee. Make one strong one and enjoy. Life is too short for lousy coffee.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Good call, Silas. I've had a cup or two of your coffee.
                  Tristan Galloway

Comment

I know about the period referenced to using the bayonet to grind the coffee. It has never made much sense to me. I prefer to put the coffee in a poke sack and smash in on a rock or fire wood log. Then dump the whole bag into the mucket to boil. Quick, Easy, No Mess, No Fuss, and no grinds in the coffee. Only draw back is a wet poke sack. Solution to that is to tie it on the back of the knapsack and let it dry on the march.
                    Brad Ireland
                    Old Line Mess
                    4th VA CO. A
                    SWB

Comment

Originally posted by lthull3rdla View Post
                      ...Put those beans in a tin plate and woke up the entire camp grinding them up with my bayonet socket. Tossed them into my then unmelted coffee boiler, covered them with ample water and 'let er rip'...

Had NO FLAVOR at all!!! what did I do wrong here?
                      I propose (also) that you perhaps did not grind them enough -- probably because your messmates were hollerin' at you about all the racket you were making. I gave up on trying to grind beans in my tin cup or canteen half -- makes too much noise, doesn't create enough grounds, and the beans pop out & escape. Can't have that happening.

My solution is to grab enough beans to make a couple cups of coffee (this'll really vary depending on taste, but a decent handful -- I use a boiler can to boil in, too -- I detest scorching my lips on the side of a tin cup heated in the fire), pop them in a small poke sack (or even folded up piece of cloth), find a hard (& preferably flat) surface, and pound away at them. You can smash them with anything heavy & (again, hopefully) flat -- rock, shoe heel (yes -- there's a purpose for those heel plates!), or even the hilt of your bayonet. In my spare time I've even made myself a small "coffee grinding bag" out of a small piece of scrap canvas.
                      I've found using this pound-the-beans-in-a-sack method I can quickly smash the beans to a nice powdery mix in a minute.

I then fill my boiler can with water, dump in the ground coffee, and heat. It comes out dark & rich.
                      Charles Kibler
                      Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
                      Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                        Only draw back is a wet poke sack. Solution to that is to tie it on the back of the knapsack and let it dry on the march.
                        Solution #2 is to quickly dry the wet poke sack by the fire. I see Mr Ireland & I use the same method to reduce our beans to dust. Bully!
                        Charles Kibler
                        Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
                        Robert E. Lee

Comment

Fellows, I have a question--the "grind in bag, dunk in water" method sounds slick, but what do letters and memoirs mention about methods for in-camp, individual coffee prep? I know for home-prep, coffee grinders are available in the period. What were men who could be reasonably used to coffee grinders at home doing while they were in the field, as documented in the period?
                          Regards,
                          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Comrades,

Since I posses a somewhat impatient disposition regarding the morning's coffe, I have taken to purchasing my beans already ground. The sutler is more than happy to do the grinding for you, as well, so my ration is much easier to prepare.

I also boil the water first, then add to large spoonfuls of grounds, let it continue to boil for about a minute, then remove to cool.

The best article I have ever purchased is a small period strainer. I carry it in my haversack, and use it to strain the dregs from my coffee. You'd be surprised how popular such a small device can make someone, especially early in the morning.....

Respects,
                            Tim Kindred
                            Medical Mess
                            Solar Star Lodge #14
                            Bath, Maine

Comment

After working in a Coffee house and book store for 3 years, reading and completing about 3 different manuals to make coffee I can tell you that just about any good medium roast coffee will be right on the money. At home and in the field I use Community Medium roast which is probably a little too strong for our northern brothers, many roofers use the grinds (post usage naturally) for tar substitute. Beans amount to absolute squat if you don't have enough of them in the pot to start with (for those who want to know most coffee houses suggest .13 oz of coffee for one of those large pots you drink out of at work. It doesn't go up or down by the roast of the bean.

If you have a problem with waiting on coffee, I suggest mastering the craft of Essence of Coffee. Get the water a little warm and BAM, you are in business. Being from Gulf Coast Mississippi, I can tell you, there isn't a bean at Starbucks or Joe Muggs or PJs or any of the other ones that is better than good old Community Coffee WHEN MADE RIGHT.
                              Last edited by coastaltrash; 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM.
                              Patrick Landrum
                              Independent Rifles

Comment

I would agree with others that you probably just didn't use enough coffee. I have made rather impressive brews with coarse butt-ground coffee. You just may have to use a bit more. Also, whether you add cold water or not, if properly brewed the grounds will settle to the bottom eventually.
                                This reminded me of the process Billings describes of mixing the coffee and sugar rations together in the same bag when issued. It's not clear whether he is being issued whole beans or ground coffee. I guess I assumed it was already ground, but I suppose you could grind your coffe with the sugar in the bag. I wonder if the coarse nature of the issue sugar would actually help you get a finer grind to your coffee?
                                Andrew Keehan
                                23 of A

Comment

Working...
                                X