Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Opening cans on campaign

I'm not aware of any can openers being available before the late 1860s - have looked for evidence but have found none. If anyone has good evidence of a commercially produced opener from before 1865 I would love to see it. (And just because something is patented, does not mean it was ever made or put into production.)

One of the earliest openers I have seen (sadly not dated) was clearly manufactured and looks like a pair of tinsnips/scissors with a triangle/wedge at one end of a handle to force through the top to start the hole. It was in the collection of Old Sturbridge Village. If the opener needs to be pried against the edge of the can like a church-key or rotary opener it definitely is not a period opener as the style of end fastening that provides a good ridge that the opener is braced against post dates "our period" by many years.

Any early dug can or un-dug opened can that I have seen or own looks to me as if it has been opened with a knife (not a bayonet - I have not seen evidence of a bayonet being used for opening a can - it would leave a distintive tear with a "V" configuration. Typically (as mentioned) the cans were opened leaving an attached portion where the now-mangled center of the lid was peeled back. WARNING! This is a really good formula for sliced fingers!:cry_smile
    John Peterson

Comment

I was in a junk antique store years ago and saw what I took to be a surgical instrument--it had the exact same black 'rubber' checkered handle scales as commonly seen on period surgical stuff...so I paid the whopping fifty cents for it; especially when I saw what appeared to be a date on it 1858 (unfortunately a big scratch accross it so I might be wrong).
      Anyway, it didn't take me long to realize it was indeed a primative can opener. It does not 'hook' along the rim of the can but rather opens wherever you aim it...and it tears the opening UP unlike pushing a knife etc. into the can. It works pretty good but leaves some nasty jagged edges and you end up with just a hole in the top rather than opened around the edges. I have seen period dug cans opened this way, but not necessarily in a military context.
      For whatever it's worth.....
      Spence Waldron~
      Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

• Gotta get the Navy in here somewhere

An earlier post mentioned lead seals - many early cans were soldered with lead at the joints. This may have led to the failure of the Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage in the mid 1800s. Long storage, incomplete processing and acidic food caused the lead to leach out into the contents, causing botulism, lead poisoning and possible accompanying insanity.

It would have been better if they had left those cans closed.
        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
        William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by NoahBriggs View Post
          The other was opened in a cruciform cut, and the resulting four "triangles" peeled back.
          Yup.

Cut an "X."

Peel back the corners with fingers (be careful) or knife.

Shake out the contents.

Jam can sharp edges down into the soil.

Enjoy.

Relic hunters used to mention the cans being cut from the bottom end rather than the top (vented), but I don't know if that was more of a joke or reality. Perhaps Jim Mayo can shed some light on this. As to the zillions of cans we used to find in old CCC/WPA camps, well, they were opened via can opener, so no luck there.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Of the two dug cans I have, one was opened by cutting about 3/4 of the way around leaving about 1-1/2" which was folded back- the other one was cut about 1/2" from the edge all the way around. Both were cut with a sharp object, perhaps a knife and not a bayonet. This is not to counter what has been posted regarding bayonets, just one observation. The first was found in Ky and the later in Miss. Both assumed to be Federal issue.

Joe Walker

Comment

Originally posted by John Peterson View Post
              I'm not aware of any can openers being available before the late 1860s - have looked for evidence but have found none. If anyone has good evidence of a commercially produced opener from before 1865 I would love to see it. (And just because something is patented, does not mean it was ever made or put into production.)
              Will this do? 1865 Hardware catalogue.

Considering it was in a catalogue for sale, I would say they existed and weren't just patent drawings. Since it's in an 1865 catalogue, it probably existed the year before.

Since this is an AMERICAN catalogue, we don't know what the British may have been producing at the time.
              Last edited by Amtmann; 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling error or two...
              Rick Bailey
              Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Stupid computer... here it is.
                Attached Files
                Rick Bailey
                Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  Yup.

Relic hunters used to mention the cans being cut from the bottom end rather than the top (vented), but I don't know if that was more of a joke or reality. Perhaps Jim Mayo can shed some light on this. .
                  The bottom does not have the problem of the solder and top (middle picture). Sometimes a ring of rusty soldier is all that is left of a ration can when dug and would be almost impossible to cut through. As I understand it, the top was soldiered on after the contents were added. The can was heated and a drop of soldier put on the little vent hole in the top thus sealing the can. If you open the top, you have to cut around the entire top close to the edges to keep from running into the soldier joint. (see picture of opened cans) The bottom is thin and more easily cut open.
                  Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM.
                  Jim Mayo
                  Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

• Example of bottom opening

Forgot to post a picture of this can previously. It has been opened on the bottom. The soldered top can be seen on the right picture.
                    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM.
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

• Re: Example of bottom opening

Jim,

I'm missing something here. Period solder is soft, roughly half lead and half tin. Why not just put a knife point under the edge of the filler disk and pop it off?
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Bill,

Having tried that a few times with that style of can, it is easier said than done.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some original cans sealed with wax around the edges?
                          Andrew Turner
                          Co.D 27th NCT
                          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

• Re: Tasty new recipe, the "Flaming Duff"

Originally posted by Duff View Post
                            We thought of it as we made it.
                            Part of the "fun" element in the hobby is making do, improvising, and coming up with something enjoyable from what one has on hand, or one can acquire through a bit of trading. I suspect some of the items "foraged" on Main Street at that event made for some interesting culinary combinations, but it would be hard to beat the surprise we had on Henry House Hill last year learning dried peaches and tomatoes make a nice stew.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

The Horse Soldier currently has the following sardine cans for sale that both show evidence of being cut open. The first can with the 69 painted on it was found on Culp’s Hill the description on the website states “Very solid can with about 75% of the lid cut entirely off with a remaining bent back, curled edge. Cut roughly not to the top of the edge of the can.” The Second sardine tin also shows signs of being cut with something sharp.

Regards,
                              -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                              93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                              [I]
                              "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                              [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

I know this is mighty poor documentation, but if you look on page 329 of "Si Klegg and his Pard" you will see a drawing of Si and his Pard eating out of cans that look like they were opened by bending back the filler disk. These drawings were made in the mid 1880's for the book.
                                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
                                X