The Monster Enfield Defarbing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Defarbing advice wanted!

I'd also recomend the Geoff Walden article Mr. Boccadoro mentioned. Defarbing is relatively easy. The correct square eared lock screw washers can be obtained from Lodgewood Mfg. (http://www.lodgewood.com/) as well as the correct lock plate with Tower 1862, though the only ones they have left in stock are the case hardened ones. Pretty much all that is left is filing the serial numbers off and any marks from Euroarms manufacture, and have correct ones put in their place on the left side of the barrel near the tang, and a stamp on the stock. Then there is the matter of triming down the stuck just below the lower band and reshaping the upper portion of the small of the stock to more of a point. I would recommend leaving this to someone who has done it before as well as removing and stamping the serial numbers. Hope this helps.
    [I]"Don't give me the, 'they've got on kevlar jackets and chainmail underwear' excuse. I can see their head!"[/I]

Cpl. Robert Conner
    Co. I, 6th N.C.S.T.
    [I]"The Sandy Britches Bunch"[/I]

Comment

Mr. Midander,

I ordered a copy of Mr. Walden's instructions a good while ago and have found them a very valuable resource for defarbing my Enfield. The most work I've had on mine has been the stock. I sanded the bulky butt end down a good bit but still think I need to take a tad more off for my liking. I have yet to order the correct escutcheons (spellings?) aka eared lock scew washers and other hardware due to my fund being short and life happening. I found filing off the serial number not too hard of a task. Patience is key to every step and the whole process.

Oh yeah, don't forget to strip the finish off the stock before going at it with sanding. Even if you take it to someone to get it trimmed down this step is an easy do-it-yourselfer.

Best of Luck!
      [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Gentlemen,

My husband (some may know him as 'Cornbread') highly recommends the new publication from The Watchdog, Lock, Stock and Barrel by Craig Barry.

Respectfully,
        Sherry Key.
        Sherry Key
        aka Mrs. Cornbread

Comment

• Re: James River Armory enfields

Would anyone have Mr. Hartman's contact information/website address (if he has one)?
          Thanks,
          Jay Spurr
          Co. A', 4th VA. Inf, SWB
          Jay Spurr
          Co. 'A', 4th VA. Inf.
          SWB

Comment

ames River Armory is a Veteran-owned, United States based company, founded in 2002 to provide the Civil War skirmisher, reenactor and gun collector with the highest quality, best value reproduction Civil War firearms available. We re-manufactured the Italian Muskets produced by Euroarms and Armisport creating a more realistic appearance, providing properly contoured and oil finished stocks, and Hoyt cut rifling to ensure match grade performance.

contact info:
            1512 Jabez Run
            Millersville, Maryland 21108
            410-923-7942
            Mitchell L Critel
            Wide Awake Groupie
            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate it.
              Jay
              Jay Spurr
              Co. 'A', 4th VA. Inf.
              SWB

Comment

• Re: Regimental Quartermaster defarbed lockplates

Our unit(13th NJ, Co.K Mess) has had two 61's and two Enfields done there with great results and excellent service.I've got a Trenton lockplate they've done thatI'm equally pleased with.My advice Terry is to call again,they are worth the effort. Bud Scully aka Fenianboy 13th NJ
                Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

• Re: Regimental Quartermaster defarbed lockplates

I got my de-farbed Enfield from RQ (Tower '62 lockplate). I love it and would recommend them to anyone in need of an Enfield. They are really beautiful pieces with great detail and craftmenship. They do draw some attention at events.

Comment

I haven't worked a weapon in a few years, but have done 6-7 in the past.
                    There wasn't much info out there 15 years ago when I started. I am wondering if the current technique is still to 'Peen" the stampings befor you file them?
                    Patrick
                    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

If you peen the stampings you shouldn't really have to do much filing other than to smooth out the hammered area. Filing removes metal -- peening just rearranges it so you aren't taking any from the barrel.

Ron Myzie

Comment

When I did mine, I just took a six in inch single cut flat file and ran over the stamping turning the barrel while I did it. You can't tell anything was ever put on there unless you look REALLY close.
                        [I]"Don't give me the, 'they've got on kevlar jackets and chainmail underwear' excuse. I can see their head!"[/I]

Cpl. Robert Conner
                        Co. I, 6th N.C.S.T.
                        [I]"The Sandy Britches Bunch"[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
                          If you peen the stampings you shouldn't really have to do much filing other than to smooth out the hammered area. Filing removes metal -- peening just rearranges it so you aren't taking any from the barrel.

Ron Myzie

Ron: This is the first time I have heard of this method. I have a 1st Gen Parker Hale with deep markings and decided not to file them off since so much metal would need to be removed. Could you elaborate on this peening method? Do you use the round end of a ball peen hammer just to peen the metal over into or covering the letters? Does it look like the barrel has been monkey stomped after peening and filing the high spots off or does it come out smooth?
                          Jim Mayo
                          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,

When I did it I just played for a while, using both sides of the hammer as the spirit moved me or appearance dictated. The flat head produced less "dimpling" than the round side. It didn't really require an excessive amount of sanding / steel wooling to smooth it out.

My Springfield is quite old -- it has a 3 digit serial number. I bought it used from a guy who never fired it (literally -- it was a virgin). Not sure if the steel used today is harder, softer or the same as it was then.

Just go gently and see what happens. Don't start whaling away at it with a 4 lb hammer!

regards
                            Ron Myzie

Comment

we always used very small ball peen hammers. Start with the round end. Lightly tap the stampings at an angle to try to push the raised edges back into the groove. It is a slow process, with each blow being aimed. If you leave bents in the metal arouind the letters, ease off . After that use the flat end to work down the remaining rough spots.
                              You still have to file some, but it helps.
                              Patrick
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I have contacted and talked to Craig Barry, who has done some excellent postings and flyers and books about defarbing the Enfield. Try and contact him if you have questions, he is a valuable and helpful resource.

Cheers,
                                Jim Chochole

Comment

Working...
                                X