Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armi sport vrs. Euroarms

Hallo Kameraden!

From: WEIGHT and DIMENSIONS, & c. of ARMS and ACCOUTREMENTS used in the BRITISH SERVICE in 1864 (excluding India)

LONG ENFIELD RIFLE, Pattern '58 With bayonet: 9 lb. 12 oz.
    Without: 8 lb. 14 1/2 oz.

As with the Italian M1861 Springfield's, one will find the "weight differences" centering particularly in the thicker barrel and breech section.
    But this is an involved and lengthy, point by point discussion ending up with such things as a ramrod that is thicker than the original.
    Perhaps the larger question is just how much does an individual's Mental Picture of what is wrong, what can be fixed, who can do it and where, and how much does that cost (being on a sliding scale from just replacing the 4th Model bands all the way up), and how much or how much or little wrong can an individual live with?
    And that can make these discussions somewhat pointless if not endless...

Perhaps I would start, IMHO, with Geoff Walden's most excellent 1985 primer AUTHENTICIZING YOUR REPRODUCTION ENFIELD and build one's knowledge base as well as ideas for answering the above questions.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Defarbing a musket

Anybody besides John Zimmerman for defarbing my '42? Bear in mind, I don't ask because I don't want to have him do it. I'm just asking if there's anybody else to consider for the job as well. After all, considering that it involves metal-work, it's something that can only be done once. So... anybody know of anyone else?
      Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Re: Defarbing a musket

Try Lodgewood. I have used Zimmy bunches of times. I've made lots of purchases through him as well.
        Yet, if you want another option.......as I said. Try Lodgewood.
        Good Luck
        Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

I have only used John Zimmerman (loved his defarb work) but these are the sources approved by the SWB standards committee through 2003
          Company Quartermaster
          Terry Schultz
          258 Zimmerman Street
          N. Tonawanda, NY 14120-4509
          1-866-693-3239
          http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3jhwa
          t.schultz5@verizon.net

John Zimmerman
          PO Box 1351
          (1195 Washington Street)
          Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
          304-535-2558
          www.edsmart.com/jz/

Lodgewood Manufacturing
          PO Box 611
          Whitewater, WI 53190
          262-473-5444
          www.lodgewood.com
          lodgewd@idcnet.com

Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks much.
            Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Concerning the images on the "Company Quartermaster" page, the barrel proofmarks look a little large, but it could be just a picture thing. Also keep in mind that the stock cartouche wasn't very common until 1863.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Based upon over 60 originals I have fondled, er examined, and the several that I had owned, IMHO the "Enfield proof stamps" used by all three of these services are larger than any I have yet to encounter.

However, one could argue that the oversized breeches of repro "Enfields" might would make "original range" stamps look too small...

The issue is that the modern stamps are often struck with a steel hammer, which often produces a very shallow strike in the hardened rifle steel of modern barrels.
                In the softer "iron" of period weapons, the stamps often tend to go deeper. Of course, the strength of the inspector's blow varies the impression on original weapons- but deeper rather than shallower is common.
                Several that I have examined have been struck so hard that the stamp image is at the bottom of a square impression caused by the square side of the stamp sides imprinting as well.

A friend of mine, who is a barrel maker, uses a 2 ton striking arbor to strike more "period looking" proof stamps.
                I had purchased a 2 ton myself and a 10 pound lead hammer (steel bounces on steel and deflects impact energy away from the striking arbor- or stamp for that matter) a while back for a "failed before it started" weapons and clothing stamping service, and wished I had gone with a 3 ton arbor!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re-Finish Enfield

I have recently purchased an Enfield and I want to begin the defarbing process. The first thing I want to do is remove the original manufacturers finish, and replace it with linseed oil. What is the easiest, and best way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for the help!

Pvt. Michael Moffett
                  Co. E 3rd Regiment
                  Confederate Engineers

Comment

Re: Re-Finish Enfield

Michael,

IN RE: refinishing the stock. Elbow grease, elbow grease and just a little more of it ...

I've re-finished two stocks. The first time I sanded all the p-urethane down to the wood. The second time I used a chemical stripper to remove most of the p-u :p and sanded the remainer to the wood. I recommend the second option for two reasons: 1. saves beau coup time, 2. sanding alone removes detail (flattens/reduces relief, rounds edges, et c.).

Regarding final finish I used straight boiled linseed oil on my first project, approximately 12 thin coats. On my second stock I used only four coats but started with one part to three parts mix of boiled linseed oil to turpentine, and finished with a 3:1 mix (boiled linseed oil:turpentine). Rub it on with a soft lint-free cloth until it won't absorb any more, allow the stock to stand until dry to the touch between coats. The turpentine allowed the oil to penetrate the wood better and decreased drying time. Sanding between coats is imperative to attaining a smooth finish. I am happy with the resultant finish of both stocks, and both shed water well :) .

Of course your milage may vary. I remain your obed't servant,
                    George Darrell

Comment

Micheal

You may want to consider one of the approved vendors to de farb your musket (Lodgewood, Zimermann The Quartermaster ect.) I dont own an Enfield myself, but I have had great results with my Springfields and Austrian Lorenz from from the above vendors.

Keep in mind that there is more to the stock to be defarbed on most repro muskets.
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Robert,

Where did you get your Lorenze from?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
                          Robert,

Where did you get your Lorenze from?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          I looked and looked and looked some more...I finaly found mine in a gunstore in Northen California. I payed $795.00 for mine with the bayonet.
                          Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 02-10-2004, 12:10 AM.
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help with my musket defarb. I appreciate all the responses!

Pvt. Michael Moffett
                            Co. E 3rd Regiment
                            Confederate Engineers

Comment

Defarbing a Parker-Hale 1853

I've read the various articles & threads on defarbing Euroarms & Armi-Sport Enfields, but I haven't seen anything on the P-H. I understand the P-H was copied from a version that was not imported to the US (& CS) during the 1860s. What needs to be replaced? Barrel bands? Sling swivels? Lockplate screw washers?

All replies are welcomed.

Gil Tercenio
                              Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Re: Defarbing a Parker-Hale 1853

Gil,
                                Is this P-H an older model or is it one of the recently produced ersatz P-H's marketed by an outfit called Gibbes Rifle Co.?

Cordially,

Comment

Working...
                                X