The Monster Enfield Defarbing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linseed Oil Stocks/ Defarbing Stocks

I used raw linseed oil with some turpentine at a 50/50 ratio. Pretty slow dry time. I rubbed at least four solid coats into the stock over that many months. That was a year ago. Now I just dip a rag once or twice into my 50/50 mix and rub that small amount into the stock. (The rag is then placed in a plastic bag, tied, and placed into the garbage. I don't want my shed turning to flames from a spontaneous combustion of drying linseed oil rags.)

At an event last weekend, I cleaned my musket with some fresh fish who were using chemicals gallore. I needed to take care of something away from the fresh fish and layed down my dirty musket next to their clean muskets. The fresh fish complemented my musket and stock for it's ultra cleanliness. I told the kid it was actually dirty. I hadn't cleaned it since I did a solid field cleaning atop Lookout Mountain last November. (This was my first firing event since then.) In lubricating the lock, stock and barrel at events, I typically use hog fat or olive oil.

You can really tell the difference in the sun light between the linseed oiled stocks verses that brand new, modern finish.

Take your time removing the finish from your musket. You'll likely have to strip it several times before you remove all the varnish. Also, take your time applying the linseed oil. Stock refinishing isn't something one does the weekend before an event. It's a long term, boring project which yields substantial results when done properly.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

From the Old Forum

As part of my "From the Old Forum" series (grin), here is a discussion on defarbing muskets that includes Curt's piece on Raw vs Boiled linseed oil.

John T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Posted by Rifle Stack Jonah on December 15th, 2002 10:42 PM:
      When defarbing your musket...

Should you get rid of the engraving on the bottom side of the barrel too? Thanks

ThomasCBillings@Yahoo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Posted by Kriegslok on December 15th, 2002 11:05 PM:

I removed everything that was visible (and not period correct) when the gun is assembled. I moved the serial number to the underside of the barrel. I would imagine originals were marked with a serial numbers, but not with the modern style stamps used by Armisport or Euro Arms. I did my 1861 Springfield (Euroarms) with pretty good results including making rivits for the sling swivels. My 1842 Springfield (Armisport) with the bright finish, was a bit tougher. The stamping was very deep so it took some careful filing plus buffing to get the bright finish back. I had to work from books as I do not own any original pieces. Be slow and careful and the results are very satisfying.

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 15th, 2002 11:27 PM:

Hallo, Kameraden!

Contrary to the scene in the movie GLORY...." Arsenal produced "muskets" were not generally numbered.
      However, arms like the Sharps rifle and carbines were.

Contrary to persistent reenactor lore, there is no federal requirement that reproduction muskets carry modern serial numbers (although it has been said they do so purely for customs purposes). Removal of the bogus Italian serial numbers does not break any FEDERAL laws.

However, in this wonderful Country, we do have bewildering state and municipal laws that may conflict with that. Generally, they do not. It is a VERY GOOD idea to check your "area's local" law before removing a serial number.

Some lads like to restrike the modern serial number underneath the barrel for personal identification and/or insurance identification purposes. Some strike their name instead,or name and birthdate. Some use their Social Security numbers, but in this New Day of identity theft issues, that may not be such a good idea...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      We've Got Your Number Right Here Mess

Posted by Rifle Stack Jonah on December 15th, 2002 11:46 PM:
      Asking?

On the bottom of the barrel it says "CAL 58-3 DRAMS BLACK POWDER ONLY" This is what I am asking if i should remove. Thanks

Posted by Dave_Grieves on December 16th, 2002 12:16 AM:

There's no reason not to. It's just telling you what caliber your musket is, and how much black powder would be the maximum load. No reason to keep it there.

BTW, 1 dram = 27.34375 grains.

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 16th, 2002 12:28 AM:

Hallo, Kamerad!

If one subscribes to the level of authenticity that says that if a Civil War soldier did not have to look at it, why should we...
      Yes, it is an unnecessary and unauthentic modern intrusion.
      (Now for some, out of sight is truly out of mind.... :-) )

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      3 Drams Will Shoot Your Eye Out Mess

Posted by Rifle Stack Jonah on December 16th, 2002 12:46 AM:

Thanks Pards.

Posted by Kriegslok on December 16th, 2002 01:11 AM:

Jonah, I am guessing when you say the Bottom of the barrel you mean at the breech end rather than the muzzle. I thought you were talking about something you found on the barrel "under the wood". Yes remove it.

Mr Schmidt, you are correct about the serial number and the Federal requirements. Unfortunately, I live in one of those "check with your local laws" places. Here in NJ, black powder arms are considered firearms just like a Garand or AR-15. You have to have a permit to buy one in NJ and you cannot have them shipped here. Luckily, PA is a short drive away and black powder arms can be legaly bought and transported into NJ by NJ residents

You are also correct in that the movie "Glory" was confusing to us newbies when they handed out rifles by serial number.

Posted by Fl. Reb on December 16th, 2002 02:59 AM:
      What do I use?

What tool do I use for defarbing my gun?
      I don't want to mess up my gun, I don't exactly have tons of moola.
      Alec Sutton

Posted by Mutt on December 16th, 2002 04:45 AM:
      Tools, not the people kind ;)

Hey Alec,

Welp, to get the markings off the barrel you need a good ol file. Actually several files is ideal. You start with a rougher file and work down to a finer one. Also, some emery clothe to polish it off.

Look into getting Geoff Walden's pamphlet on defarbing your Repro Enfield. If you have an enfield, it's obviously very valuable to your efforts. If you own another rifle, it'll at least be abel to guide tou through the filing process.

Also, check the past posts of this Board. I know Mr Heinrich has posted a helluv-a-lot on our friend the Enfield and rifles and muskets in general.

Regards,

Posted by Fl. Reb on December 16th, 2002 01:27 PM:
      thanks

Thanks. But can I use a grinder?

--------------
      Alec Sutton

Posted by Dave_Grieves on December 16th, 2002 02:34 PM:

You can use a grinder if you're good at it. They tend to take too much metal too fast.

You just want to go deep enough so that you can't see the markings when you have finished polishing out the filed area. To remove too much will make it obvious that you ground somthing off, and if you want to fire the gun, it could be unsafe if too much metal is taken out in a spot on the barrel.

Posted by Cpl. Ston-e on December 16th, 2002 04:00 PM:
      Stock work?

Should you sand all the poly off of the rifle stock???
      I was thinking of doing this, using linseed oil and re staining
      the stock. What is the correct procedure for refinishing a stock authenticly? Thanks for the help!

" Doc, I'm belevin I've got the glimpses."

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 16th, 2002 04:00 PM:
      Some people like fishing with grenades...

Hallo, Kameraden!

Although power tools can be our friends... they can be most unforgiving of mistakes.
      IMHO, a grinder is "too much tool" for the job at hand (removing shallow stampings) in that they remove too much metal too fast, tend to leave behind "flat areas," and more importantly leave deeper scratches and gouges that require more work to remove.
      Polishing metal involves removing larger scratches and replacing them with ever smaller and finer scratches until the human eye can no longer see them and the surface looks dull (then shiny).
      A decent 6 or 8 inch "mill" file, and a couple or three sheets of 220 and 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and/or emory cloth will do the trick safely and professional-looking. (The fewer scratches put on, the fewer need to be removed.)
      A sanding pad or "disk" with the same grit sandpaper disks, for a 1/4 inch power drill, saves on elbow grease- but moves toward the risks and dangers of the grinder or grinding wheel!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Tim "Tool Man" Taylor Lessons Mess

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 16th, 2002 04:13 PM:
      Long....

Hallo, Kameraden!

Period linseed oil is not the same as the modern stuff, so using
      modern boiled linseed oil "simulates" but does not "replicate" the oil-dipped finishes in use at the time of the Civil War. Here is an overall view...

" Raw vs. Boiled Linseed Oil

It was not uncommon in the 17th century for gun stocks to be painted black, brown, or at times even red or blue. By the 18th century, instead of linseed oil based paints, the stocks were treated with linseed oil itself.
      By the time of the Civil War, finished stocks were dipped into heated tanks of linseed oil for a few minutes, the excess wiped off, and the stocks set aside to air dry.
      Availability, tradition, lack of synthetic substitutes, and later the lack of suitable plastic stock materials made linseed oil the armory finish all the way up to the M1 when shortages in 1942 and the desire to waterproof stocks led to the use of tung oil instead.
      It is believed that the use of linseed oil was not intended as a finish, but rather as a means of protecting the wood from drying out and cracking or splitting prior to being issued. Many a private between World War I and World War II would be kept busy with “stock maintenance” and a little bottle of linseed oil.
      But, exactly what is linseed oil?
      Linseed oil is a liquid vegetable oil made from the seeds of the flax plant that contain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Short of returning to high school chemistry, these fatty acids have molecular bonds that are attacked by oxygen to form radicals, which starts a chain reaction that increases incrementally over time to form polymers or a natural plastic in the form of a tough, elastic, film. (water dries by vaporization, linseed oil by oxidation)
      Because of this reaction, linseed oil eventually “dries” at normal temperatures and is often referred to as a “drying oil” and it formed the basis for “oil-based” paint.
      However, the location that the flax plants were grown, the climate, and other factors can alter the content of the fatty acids present in the linseed oil. Too much of certain acids such as linolenic acid causes linseed oil to dry too fast, turn yellow, or turn brittle. In addition, containing fatty acids, linseed oil is subject to attack by fungus and mildew, and like fat will turn rancid.

Raw Linseed Oil

Linseed oil that was just expressed is a golden brown or yellowish color that then could be refined and bleached for use in the art industry.
      “Raw linseed oil” is linseed oil that has been extracted and packaged without additional additives. It still contains the gums that occur naturally in the oil and gives it its “hard” finishing quality.
      The problem with linseed oil is that it can take days, weeks, or even months to dry.
      Somewhere around 200 A.D. the discovery was made that if the raw linseed oil was boiled it thickened and dried faster.

Boiled Linseed Oil

However in the modern era, it was discovered that the drying or film formation process could be sped up by adding driers in the form of oil soluble metal salts usually lead oxide,
      and more recent times cobalt, manganese, or calcium salts. To effectively dissolve the chemicals, the linseed oil was heated to near or boiling, and then often thickened by bubbling oxygen through it.
      Today, so-called “Boiled Linseed Oil” is not what one would think- Civil War era linseed oil. Instead, it is raw linseed oil that has been processed, usually with sulfuric and phosphoric acid to remove the gums. It is then further altered through the addition of chemical drying accelerators. 19
      Although a partial, water-proof barrier can be imparted to a stock with modern so-called “boiled linseed oil” through many applications, the lack of gums tends to prevent the formation of a truly protective film. Without the protective film, water can and will penetrate the wood.
      Linseed oil was a penetrating finish, meaning it penetrated into the fibers of the wood
      and dried or hardened within the wood. It does not generally build up a surface film like varnish or lacquer because its film dries too “soft.”
      “Varnish” refers to a drying oil like linseed oil that has added resins such as alkyd, phenolic, or polyurethane. In the old days, varnish was made by hand by adding resins, lac (the cocoon secretions of an Asian insect made into a flakes) or gums to oil and alcohol. Today the resins such as alkyd, phenolic, or polyurethane are synthetic, and the percentage of oil present determines the type of varnish. Varnish builds up on the surface and dries to a hard protective shell.
      There are about as many recipes for gunstock finishes as there are people using them. Most involve using oil/varnish blends, home-made or commercial, such as Lin-Speed Oil, Tru-Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax Tung Oil Finish, and others. Some involve “wiping varnish” which often is nothing more than varnish thinned by as much as half with paint thinner and confused by it by called “tung oil finish.”
      The look and effect of the “armory dip” can be achieved by adding some of the gums back into the modern so-called “boiled linseed oil.”
      This can be done by using a 1/3 mixture of modern boiled linseed oil, 1/3 modern spar varnish (for the resins), and thinned with 1/3 turpentine (for penetration).
      The mix is painted on heavily, allowing it to soak well into the wood for 5-10 minutes. The excess is wiped off, and the stock set aside to air dry. Drying time will depend upon temperature and humidity. Once dry, additional coats can be hand-rubbed a few drops at a time from the palm of the hand until the friction warms the hand. Again, the stock is set aside to dry. This is repeated several more times.
      Another method, going back to colonial times, combines the look of the dipped linseed oil finish with the weather proof qualities of the polymer finishes. This recipe involves 1/3 linseed oil, 1/3 beeswax, and 1/3 turpentine.
      The mixture is gently heated (NOT over an open flame!) until it well melted and mixed. As it cools, it congeals into a paste that is rubbed into the stock to make a great military style finish."

Curt Heinrich Schmidt

Posted by Cpl. Ston-e on December 16th, 2002 04:27 PM:
      Neat!

Thanks, very interesting...
      I am nervous about taking on this project.
      Anyone else with any advice is welcome...
      Danke Herr Schmidt!

" Doc, I'm belevin I've got the glimpses."

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 16th, 2002 06:23 PM:
      Doesn't have to be complicated, ask around for help...

Hallo, Kamerad!

Don't fret, or have Angst.
      You can easily do as most lads do, and simply hand-rub several coats of modern "boiled linseed oil" into the stock (and maintian it or refresh it once a year or so.)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

Posted by Fod on December 16th, 2002 11:02 PM:

I do not recommend "sanding" the polyu finish off the stock...use a chemical stripper

Refinishing the stock

Materials needed:
      Bix stripper or Parks sprayable stripper
      Metal scraper (plastic melts)
      Chemical gloves (cheap ones melt)
      Metal coffee or paint can
      Very fine steel wool
      Mineral spirits
      Clean soft cloths

Warning: You’ll be working with some very potent, TOXIC chemicals here. Read the directions and warning labels. Material such as rags impregnated with linseed oil may spontaneously combust after a long period due to gradual reaction with oxygen.

Remove all metal hardware from your rifle.
      Suspend the stock over the can to catch the drips
      Put on your gloves (if you skip this part, your skin will burn)
      Spray or apply stripper and wait according to instructions on can.
      Remove softened finish and stripper with metal scraper.
      Apply a light coat of stripper and remove any remaining finish with steel wool pads soaked in mineral spirits.
      (Warning: If you use Bix stripper, it says you can use water for the above step. Be advised that using water here instead of mineral spirits will remove the stain also).
      Let the stock dry thoroughly. The stock may be noticeably lighter in color, don’t worry; it darkens naturally with the linseed oil finish.

Dispose of the removed finish properly. You don't want this stuff in your water supply.

Refinish with one of the mixtures given by Herr Schmidt.

PLHA
      "They were the dirtiest men I ever saw, a most ragged, lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked."

Posted by Jack Enright on December 17th, 2002 01:08 AM:

Ref. finishing for gunstocks; this was passed on to me by Pat, an old friend who was a custom gunstock maker.
      Only use raw linseed oil. The secret of a good, lasting finish is not the amount of oil used, but the effort put into driving the oil deep into the grain of the wood.
      When Pat had finished a gunstock, or target pistol butt. he'd take it to the pub in the evening with a little bottle of raw linseed. Sit by the fire, he'd smear a tiny amount of oil on the wood and spend hours gently rubbing away at it - and the finish he achieved was glorious!
      Another route you might try is the mixture I use on my yew longbow; a 50:50 mix of raw linseed oil and pure turpentine (NOT WHITE SPIRIT!!). The turpentine helps the oil soak deep into the grain of the wood, then appears to dry out. Though whether it actually evaporates, or just oxidises and thickens up , I don't know. But my bow is very happy with it!

Ref. tools for use on the barrel; I would not under ANY circumstances take an angle grinder to a barrel. And without boasting, I can say I'm an artist with an angle grinder, but even so - no chance! One reason is that an angle grinder will make a concave cut into the metal, whereas you want the surface of the barrel left convex. The other is, it's just too fast! Taking off metal with a file is hard work, but trying to put it BACK without it showing is near impossible without major engineering facilities.

Finally, I wholeheartedly agree with Curt's advice that the best tool for the job is a mill-file (or single-cut file). These are far less likely to put deep scratches into the metal than a cross-cut file. Slow and sure will get you there, mate!! Go for it!!

Jack Enright

24th MI Vol (UK)

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 17th, 2002 01:47 AM:

Hallo, Kameraden!

Jawohl!
      "Raw" linseed is actually "more like" period boiled linseed oil in that it still has most of the gums and resins still it it that gives the "protective barrier" in the wood (and not just on it).
      It lacks the drying agents, so dries much slower.
      Modern boiled linseed oil is hydroscopic, and does not seal the wood. A drop of water left on it, will be "sucked" into the wood in a few minutes or so. (Although we have have "sealed" stocks with 20-40 hand-rubbed coats of heated boiled linseed oil and turpentine....)

Regarding sanding versus stripping of stocks...

Sanding adds work in that one is "scratching" the wood and those scratches need "sande out" with progressively finer grades/grits of sandpaper.
      For newcomers/newbies, there is also the risk if "rounding edges" of mortises and crisp areas.

However, "stripping," if not done properly, often just removes the layer of polyurethane ABOVE the surface of the wood, leaving the "plastic" in the wood and acting as a barrier for subsequent oilings to work their way "into" and not just "on" the wood.
      I strip as well as sand, to ensure I have opened the grain and surface of the wood for the oil to come. Just my way...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Former 18th and 19th Century Gunmaker Mess

Posted by SCTiger on December 26th, 2002 06:55 AM:
      alternative wood

Was there any type of wood stock that was common to the period, that did not need all the linseed oil maintenance?
      In other words a stock that was water resistive and did not need finishing?

I was thinking along the lines of a cyprus wood or a heavy wood like mahogany??

Greg Deese

Rowdy Pards- SC Section

Posted by Curt Heinrich Schmidt on December 26th, 2002 04:13 PM:

Hallo!

For the most part, walnut was used for military gunstocks, as it was common and cheap.
      To over-generalize, of course there are other woods in existence but pretty much military guns used walnut or black walnut while civilian guns tended to favor hard-rock maple.
      It is not the wood, but rather the type of finish used that makes it resistant to the elements. In some countries, like the USA, "wood" fell from favor in the mid 1960's and since in favor of black "plastic." ;-)
      "Period linseed oil" was a cheap and fairly quick method. For civilian guns where production was low, etc, etc. a gunmaker could take the time to use more "varnish" type finishes to hand-rub many, many coats to produce a durable if not water-resistant finish.
      Part of the 20th century "barracks chores" of American solders up until WWII was using their little bottle of linseed oil to "renew" their gun finishes.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt