Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TheRifleshoppe - Enfield parts

I have to agree with Shane.

I've done defarbs for several friends using Lodgewood parts (lockplates, bands, sling swivels, and lock washers) and always had quick and reliable service.

Of course, I was always ordering extremely common readily available parts.
    John Stillwagon

Comment

I have had nothing but good results from Lodgewood.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Lodgewood - Enfield parts also

Sorry to say here also, I have to side with Ian regarding Lodgewood. I recently ordered a couple of the washers and the sling swivels. It took a couple of followup calls but finally got the order.

I view it this way with a vendor, if it's an in-stock item, there shouldn't (in a perfect world, anyway) be an excuse for something to not be shipped in more than a few days. On the other hand, if it's a custom item or something they have to make and they inform me of such. I can understand delays.

Maybe something else to ponder. We're dealing with items that, to us are important. In the grand scheme of things, there are a very limited number of people reproducing this stuff, perhaps we are a little unrealistic in our expectations, sometimes!
        [FONT=Century Gothic]Robert Swartz[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black]"A soldier would grumble in heaven"![/FONT]
        [FONT=Century Gothic]Ovando J. Hollister, 1st Colorado Volunteers[/FONT]

Comment

I have to chime in here as well. In the past I've used Lodgewood and have nothing but great results . 10 days wait at the most.
          On the other hand. In regards to the RifleShoppe. I think they have all the info , ie, undetermined waits if the part isn't in stock. They have those statements or something like it on their website. A very good friend of mine built a true Mdl 1742 Potsdam musket for me. Absolutely beautiful piece I might add. He still builds different 18th century weapons and gets many of his parts from the Rifle Shoppe . He always warns about the potential waiting times because of the RifleShoppe and it's practices. Yet when one needs really rare parts there aren't many options.
          Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Im glad this thread has been started, as I was contemplating getting some parts for my FrankenLorenz from the rifle shoppe. I may reconsider now.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Vielen Dank

Thanks a lot for all your posts, lads.

Well as a result:
              there is still hope
              to get the parts
              or
              to get a refund.

Time will show.

If interested, I will give you the final info asop
              Well it depends on TheRiffleshoppe if that is probably
              in a week, a month or in a year.
              :sarcastic
              regards

Ingo Rolletter
              5th Va Inf

Germany

Comment

Re: Linseed Oil Stocks/ Defarbing Stocks

HeyCurt :
                kinda a dumb question but how exactly should I know when stock is dry completly through when using the raw oil? i'm still saving my money to get that springfield but I kinda want to know this rifle in advance.
                Very Respectfully,
                Robert Young

Comment

I have been able to find Boiled Linseed Oil at most hardware stores...however I am having a devil of a time finding Raw Linseed Oil at Lowes, Home Depot...apparantly these are no longer regularly stocked items.

Where else may I look to find R.L.O.?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.
                  Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  (Loblolly Mess)
                  [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Hallo Herr Rob!

As corny as this may sound...

It does not dry by evaporation like some oils, it dries by oxidzation (and polymerization).

When it is dry, hard, and smooth to the touch, and not gummy or sticky or tacky- it is "dry."

Herr Paul!

IF you do not have a local store that carries it, I suggest going "on-line," such as:

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

• Re: Linseed Oil Stocks/ Defarbing Stocks

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
                      I have been able to find Boiled Linseed Oil at most hardware stores...however I am having a devil of a time finding Raw Linseed Oil at Lowes, Home Depot...apparantly these are no longer regularly stocked items.

Where else may I look to find R.L.O.?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.
                      You might also try an art supply store.

John T
                      John Taylor

Comment

• Looking for P-53 Markings of 1st model?

I have been looking for an image of the correct markings that were placed on the first P53s that came out between 1855-56. Most were used in Crimea. Can anyone help me with a direction? They seem to be hard to locate.

Thanks,
                        James Chochole

Comment

• Re: Looking for P-53 Markings of 1st model?

Hallo Kamerad!

Covered... ;-)

I am looking for a "scanable" image to send to you.

In brief, and in general...

They typically do not vary that much from later ones, carrying the crown over VR behind the hammer, in front of the hammer the year date an dplace of manufacture such as ENFIELD for the R.S.A. Factory, LAC for London Armoury, and TOWER for other contract arms. (Those made in America were WINDSOR, and those made in Liege just the year date in italic lettering.)

At times, the "VR" varies- on American made guns it is absent, on Liege made a small star between the V and R, on English a dot, dash, or even a small cross appears.

And, at times, the year date is above, and at times below the place of manufacture.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 05-31-2004, 03:47 PM.
                          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I have only seen photos of a tiny handful of bona-fide 1st Model P53s (and only one in person). I would venture to say that all the 23,000 or so 1st Models were marked similarly, all being made under contract by the trade in Birmingham (and perhaps a few in London). The RSAF-Enfield did not exist as a volume manufacturing facility until 1858, so no 1st Model would be marked ENFIELD (unless some early unique experimental gun). Same with the London Armoury Co. (LAC). The Robbins & Lawrence (US) contract was for the 2nd Model, so none would be marked WINDSOR. (Note that I hate to say "all" or "none" when talking Enfields, as there always seems to be the exception to some "rule," but theoretically, none would be marked ENFIELD, WINDSOR, or L.A.Co.). I don't believe any of the 1st Model contracts went outside England, so none should have Liege (Belgium) markings - these would be 2nd Models.

I *think* all the 1st Models were made in Birmingham. If any were made in London, they would most likely have the same lockplate markings (1854 or 1855, or *maybe* 1853, with TOWER; Crown / V.R), but the London proofmarks. Although come to think of it, the proofs for both places would probably be the Government TP proofs - not the commercial proofmarks. Inspector marks would be B or L. The lockplate date should be only 1853-1855 - the 2nd Model came out in 1855. I don't think volume production of the 1st Model was but from 1854-55, and these are the lockplate dates that would normally be seen.

The characteristics that really distinguish the 1st Model from later P53s are:
                            1. Rear sight with convex sides,
                            2. Smaller, lighter hammer, with a curl to the spur,
                            3. Nosecap with no lip for the rammer,
                            4. Plain thin-shank button-head rammer (although these were also used on the early 2nd Models),
                            5. The clamping barrel bands were slightly different from those used on the 3rd Model P53. It's hard to describe - they just look a little different.

Hope this helps,

Geoff Walden
                            Last edited by Enfield; 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Hallo Herr Geoff!

Thanks for the update and corrections.
                              Your services are always appreciated.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                                Hallo Kamerad!

Covered... ;-)

I am looking for a "scanable" image to send to you.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

Curt,

When you find that image, could you post it here?
                                Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X